Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 273
  1. #101
    Senior Member get.amped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    788
    El Em Ess is not an actual word (in English anyway). Don't know how you would train the skill to understand the pronunciation though.
    Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
    Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

  2. #102
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by get.amped View Post
    El Em Ess is not an actual word (in English anyway). Don't know how you would train the skill to understand the pronunciation though.
    Alexa understands English letters since letters are used when requesting a specific broadcast radio station, for example "Alexa play WKCR-FM". So using "LMS" (el em ess) as the Skill invocation phrase should work.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  3. #103
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6

    Naming

    My use of "Squeezebox" ahead of each device name was intended to allow Alexa to differentiate these units from Hue lights and iDevices switches and sockets in some of the same locations -- said devices now operated with location-based names set up in Alexa.

    If the term "Squeezebox" will be used to activate these devices, then it can safely be removed from each of my named units to avoid an awkward redundancy. Easy enough for me to do, and I will do that.

    The word "Squeezebox" seems a good choice for skill invocation, btw -- it is clearly unique and I would guess unlikely to trigger anything else accidentally.

    Quote Originally Posted by meep View Post

    Interested in your device naming - is the word 'squeezebox' actually included in the device name?

    I ask because there's a discussion at the moment as to what the skill invocation name should be. Right now it's 'Alexa, ask squeeze box to....'. Now, this is a bit clunky and even more so if the sentence needs to be 'Alexa, ask Squeeze Box to pause Squeezebox Classic'. Not only is this repetitive, but it's actually against Amazon recommendations to re-use the invocation name later in the command string.

    I'm hunting for the best invocation name. Someone suggested 'Alexa, ask Slim Server to....' as an option and echo of the squeezebox past.

    All input on this appreciated.

  4. #104
    Senior Member meep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by threej View Post
    My use of "Squeezebox" ahead of each device name was intended to allow Alexa to differentiate these units from Hue lights and iDevices switches and sockets in some of the same locations -- said devices now operated with location-based names set up in Alexa.

    If the term "Squeezebox" will be used to activate these devices, then it can safely be removed from each of my named units to avoid an awkward redundancy. Easy enough for me to do, and I will do that.

    The word "Squeezebox" seems a good choice for skill invocation, btw -- it is clearly unique and I would guess unlikely to trigger anything else accidentally.
    Thanks for this.

    Whatever we end up with as the invocation name, the skill will need to come with a recommendation that this should not be part of any device name in your ecosystem.

    I'll try 'L-M-S' as the name on some future development test version and see how it feels to work with.


    ALEXA LMS SKILL: http://www.hab-tunes.com | Twitter: #habtunes
    Personal HA BLOG: http://mediaserver8.blogspot.com

    Squeezebox | Squeezebox Radio x 2 | Squeezebox Duet

  5. #105
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26

    Yep Player's Name is Basement

    Quote Originally Posted by meep View Post
    You can set the player name in LMS settings -> Player
    Yes my player's name is Basement. I would suggest the name "Squeezer" as a potential replacement for the Squeezebox invocation word but I am not opposed to any name as long as I would be able to control the squeezeserver via Alexa/Echo. Thank you for your efforts. I could even rename my player. I am finding that I have tried controlling my receiver in so many different ways that now Alexa (and me as well) is getting confused by which receiver I am trying to control. I will have to go back and delete some skills once the dust settles. So it makes sense having a good, strong, unequivocal invocation word.
    Last edited by anjenaire; 2017-01-11 at 08:13.

  6. #106
    Senior Member meep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by anjenaire View Post
    Yes my player's name is Basement. I would suggest the name "Squeezer" as a potential replacement for the Squeezebox invocation word but I am not opposed to any name as long as I would be able to control the squeezeserver via Alexa/Echo. Thank you for your efforts. I could even rename my player. I am finding that I have tried controlling my receiver in so many different ways that now Alexa (and me as well) is getting confused by which receiver I am trying to control. I will have to go back and delete some skills once the dust settles. So it makes sense having a good, strong, unequivocal invocation word.
    Happy to be adding yet another plugin (YAP) to the mix!

    'Squeezer' is neat but the invocation term can't be a single word (unless it's a band name you own). It needs to be two words.


    ALEXA LMS SKILL: http://www.hab-tunes.com | Twitter: #habtunes
    Personal HA BLOG: http://mediaserver8.blogspot.com

    Squeezebox | Squeezebox Radio x 2 | Squeezebox Duet

  7. #107
    I think "squeeze box" is cool and we are all used to this word by now so why change it...

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy86 View Post
    I think "squeeze box" is cool and we are all used to this word by now so why change it...
    I agree ...
    LMS server: Pi Zero

    Amp: Denon PMA-50

    Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

    Brexit = ∞ stupidity


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    508
    +1

  10. #110
    Senior Member meep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy86 View Post
    I think "squeeze box" is cool and we are all used to this word by now so why change it...
    I agree it's probably the best we've got. Plus, it has the advantage of being essentially one word but can be rendered as two to meet the requirements.

    However, possible reasons for change are.....

    1. Some testers report Alexa is not picking it up correctly when spoken
    2. Some testers report that it's a little clunky to say (I tend to agree)
    3. It conflicts with some users device naming which includes the word 'squeezebox'
    4. There's still doubt over whether it will be acceptable as an invocation word when we get to certification

    I'm keeping an open mind on this and really value community input.


    I had another look at the skill guidelines last night and from the certification checklist, I noted that a skill must support multiple forms of syntax on skill invocation. So, in our case, the following are mandated to work;

    Alexa, ask/tell <skillname> to <command>
    OR
    Alexa, command on/with <skillname>

    In our case, where 'Kitchen' is the squeezebox device name, this would result in;

    'Alexa, ask Squeeze Box to play Kitchen'
    OR
    'Alexa, play Kitchen with Squeeze Box'
    Now, I need to do more testing but this later formation might work with these kinds of syntax;

    'Alexa, play on Kitchen Squeeze Box'
    'Alexa, play on Squeeze Box Kitchen'
    This is quite natural and easy to say and, if it works, would likely be the recommended way of doing things. Of course, it would still be recommended to remove the word 'squeezebox' from device names , otherwise the most accurate phrasing would need to be;

    'Alexa, play on Squeeze Box squeezebox Kitchen'
    where 'Squeeze Box' is the required skill name and 'squeezebox' is part of the device name. Not confusing at all!!!


    ALEXA LMS SKILL: http://www.hab-tunes.com | Twitter: #habtunes
    Personal HA BLOG: http://mediaserver8.blogspot.com

    Squeezebox | Squeezebox Radio x 2 | Squeezebox Duet

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •