Is there a diagram of how the main elements of the squeeze software universe interact

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moxbox
    • Sep 2014

Is there a diagram of how the main elements of the squeeze software universe interact

It's a bit overwhelming trying to navigate this forum -- a bit like searching a dictionary for a word you don't know how to spell.

My specific query is whether there's an app (or an LMS feature) for sending the audio stream from my laptop to an SB player.

Reason? To access the streaming services that feature user uploaded content, like Soundcloud/Mixcloud/Hearthis.at. I know there are Soundcloud and Mixcloud plugins -- the former mostly works, the latter not so much, and from what I gather from the threads here, the problem is that the interfaces keep changing, so the apps require continual updating. The proliferation and evolution of these services suggests it would be easier to just take the resulting audio stream from a computer, rather than code a specific plugin for every new internet streaming service. But the existence of these apps suggests that there is, in fact, no way to send the audio stream from a computer to an SB player.

To the newbie, looking at the LMS interface, it seems odd that the interface allows you to stream music from the internet, or from your hard disk music collection, but not the audio stream that your computer gets from the internet.

I'm guessing there's something obvious I'm missing here. Hence the big picture question in the heading. Thanks!
    LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet
    serving vintage Marantz 2230, large Advents and ADS 710.
    funky and wonderful that this new tech can talk to this old stuff
  • Apesbrain
    • Jun 2005

Comment

• karlek
      • Apr 2015

Look under 3rd Party software or better in your LMS: Settings-Plugins. There should be an uPnP/DLNA plugin from Andy Grundman that announces all your SBen as DLNA renderer.
      shairtunes2 would do the same for AirPlay.

Comment

• moxbox
        • Sep 2014

thanks

and described on the LMS plugin screen as just what i was looking for. ima blame it on the tiny type...

the problem is that this relies on the "stereo mix" recording device, which has been removed from most modern systems. lots of folks looking for (and sometimes finding) workarounds. but they seem to involve registry edits with card and OS specific entries.
        LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Comment

• moxbox
          • Sep 2014

Upnp, not sure how to use it.

Originally posted by karlek
          Look under 3rd Party software or better in your LMS: Settings-Plugins. There should be an uPnP/DLNA plugin from Andy Grundman that announces all your SBen as DLNA renderer.
          shairtunes2 would do the same for AirPlay.
          Thanks, it looks like that's already enabled for me. But I can't seem to find any instructions on how to use it (did a quick search of the 3rd party software forum). There's also the upnp plugin from Philippe. That does have some info on the GitHub site, but ... the manual is written in a language I mostly don't understand.

So --

1. are there some instructions for using Grundman's plugin somewhere?

2. Is there a primer for an SB user like me, who doesn't really know what a DLNA renderer is?

thanks!
          LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Comment

• karlek
            • Apr 2015

Simplified you can play audio on your phone for example and send the output to such a renderer. Probably you'll need an app such as BuppleuPnP for that.
            Philippes Plugin is something completely different. It announces DLNA devices as Squeezeboxes.

Comment

• philippe_44
              • May 2008

Basically the plugins I wrote/udpated over the last couple of years had the objective to use non-squeezebox players from LMS as if they were normal SB devices:

- UPnP/DLNA Bridge: transforms UPnP/DLNA players into a SB device. No sync possible with any other players, except for Sonos devices (amongst Sonos devices)
              - CastBridge: transforms ChromeCast players into SB devices. No sync with other players, except amongst ChromeCast players
              - AriPlay Bridge: transforms AirPlay speakers, airport and amp into SB device. Sync with any native SB player works. The most advanced bridge as (almost) all SB capabilities (gapless, cross-fading, replay gain ...) are available.

This is propbably not what you want, if I understood correctly your question.

- So there is also ShairTunes2W plugin which I extended to Windows and that does the reverse logic with AirPlay devices: it transforms all SB devices into an AirPlay player. So you can use you iTunes, iPad/iPod/iPhone to stream to SB devices, they will appear as a AirPlay device.
              - Finally, Andy Grundman's uPnP/DLNA plugin allows SB devices to appear like a UPnP/DLNA player. Then in Windows should be able to play natively to any UPnP/DLNA player, but you can use foobar2000 or minimServer BubbleUPnP which UPnP/DLNA player controller applications for Windows, Android, iOS

Good luck
              Last edited by philippe_44; 2016-11-28, 07:23.
              LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• moxbox
                • Sep 2014

thanks! and squeezelite?

Really appreciate the helpful responses. No one has mentioned squeezelite, but the threads on that plugin for windows suggest it also captures the current audio output devices (like wasapi). Is this not an option for what i'm trying to do?
                LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Comment

• d6jg
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by moxbox
                  Really appreciate the helpful responses. No one has mentioned squeezelite, but the threads on that plugin for windows suggest it also captures the current audio output devices (like wasapi). Is this not an option for what i'm trying to do?
                  No its not an option.

Squeezelite is a software implementation of a player. Turns your PC into a squeezebox.
                  Last edited by d6jg; 2016-11-28, 11:53.
                  Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                  Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                  Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
                  Dining Room SB Radio
                  Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                  Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                  Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• d6jg
                    • Feb 2011

Actually I have misread what it is you want to do.

Assuming you have a Windows Laptop and you want to get the audio from some web site or other to a SB player and your laptop is NOT what is running LMS - try http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com

This will "broadcast" any audio that hits the laptop into a playable mp3 or pcm stream in the form http://laptopip/streamname which you can tune into in LMS

Install on laptop. Configure the software. In LMS go to Radio/Tune in URL and point at SWYH (HTTP Live Streaming) url of your laptop. Job jobbed.

It may run on your laptop in conjunction with LMS but I have never tried it so can't say for sure but I imagine that some tweaking would then be required.
                    Last edited by d6jg; 2016-11-28, 11:57.
                    Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
                    Dining Room SB Radio
                    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                    Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• moxbox
                      • Sep 2014

stream what you hear

Originally posted by d6jg
                      Actually I have misread what it is you want to do.

Assuming you have a Windows Laptop and you want to get the audio from some web site or other to a SB player and your laptop is NOT what is running LMS - try http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com

It may run on your laptop in conjunction with LMS but I have never tried it so can't say for sure but I imagine that some tweaking would then be required.
                      Alas, I am running LMS on the same laptop. Wave Input is/was clearly the plugin that handled this in the past. But as several threads in this forum have noted, the plugin depended on Stereo Mix, which has been removed in most current Win laptops.

From those threads it also seems that this PC audio stream capture is not a great solution, because it puts everything through your computer's audio software, with less than stellar results. I get that, but with the internet streaming services proliferating and changing all the time, it's at least a way to play this stuff when there's no dedicated LMS plugin available.
                      LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Comment

• Mnyb
                        • Feb 2006

That does not make sense most sound sources is stereo ? Are these just routed to the front channels in current windows . Is this just laptops ? If you have real mobo or soundcard do you still have stereomix .

Laptop as LMS host ? Well if that's the computer you have ? A spare laptop that's unused would be great as it can sit wired somewhere , but then you can chose Linux on that one .
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                        Bedroom/Office: Boom
                        Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                        Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                        iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                        (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                        server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• moxbox
                          • Sep 2014

stereo mix

Originally posted by Mnyb
                          That does not make sense most sound sources is stereo ? Are these just routed to the front channels in current windows . Is this just laptops ? If you have real mobo or soundcard do you still have stereomix .

Laptop as LMS host ? Well if that's the computer you have ? A spare laptop that's unused would be great as it can sit wired somewhere , but then you can chose Linux on that one .
                          "stereo mix" is the name of a specific audio source option you used to be able to select on the "recording" tab of Windows audio device manager:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (319).png
Views:	1
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1561689

Of course the stereo audio stream still exists -- and you can access it through your PC/laptop speakers, or by plugging in to the headphone jack. What you can't do is select this stream in the audio device manager anymore, because they've disabled the "stereo mix" device option. And that option is what the plugin Wave Input needs in order to capture the Windows audio stream and send it to LMS.

The removal of the stereo mix functionality is well known -- if you google "stereo mix windows" there are many discussions of what to do, but none of these work for my version of Windows and soundcard (Convexant). There are also threads in this forum

People speculate that this option was removed after pressure from the Recording Industry, but I don't think that's true. There is still software available that captures the Windows audio stream (e.g., Audacity, and Streamwhatyouhear), so it's clearly possible. It's just that the mechanism has changed, and Wave Input hasn't been updated to address this (at least as far as I can tell -- I'd love to hear otherwise!).

And yes, LMS is on my laptop. As is my music collection. Maybe that should change, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.
                          LMS 7.9 Win 10 SBV3 duet

Comment

• Mnyb
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by moxbox
                            "stereo mix" is the name of a specific audio source option you used to be able to select on the "recording" tab of Windows audio device manager:

[ATTACH]21574[/ATTACH]

Of course the stereo audio stream still exists -- and you can access it through your PC/laptop speakers, or by plugging in to the headphone jack. What you can't do is select this stream in the audio device manager anymore, because they've disabled the "stereo mix" device option. And that option is what the plugin Wave Input needs in order to capture the Windows audio stream and send it to LMS.

The removal of the stereo mix functionality is well known -- if you google "stereo mix windows" there are many discussions of what to do, but none of these work for my version of Windows and soundcard (Convexant). There are also threads in this forum

People speculate that this option was removed after pressure from the Recording Industry, but I don't think that's true. There is still software available that captures the Windows audio stream (e.g., Audacity, and Streamwhatyouhear), so it's clearly possible. It's just that the mechanism has changed, and Wave Input hasn't been updated to address this (at least as far as I can tell -- I'd love to hear otherwise!).

And yes, LMS is on my laptop. As is my music collection. Maybe that should change, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.
                            A well then back to the old hack, plugin in a cable from the output to the input , this migth not be optimal either but we wanted to just here these otherwise not aviable services :/

Your are probably rigth about this not being ill intended , just some removal of "clutter" it would not be beyond MS to do such a thing one setting less to confuse people and generate support calls . People who really record tend to use other solutions .

I will probably try streamwhat you hear on my win partition who is not hosting LMS seems ideal for that purpose ( my LMS lives on old HP microserver , soon to be replaced by a nuc )

Btw what's the Linux and macOS eqvabilent of streamwhatyouhear ?
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                            Bedroom/Office: Boom
                            Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                            Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                            iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                            (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                            server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• ralphy
                              • Jan 2006

There's also Virtual Audio Cable.

It's ~$25 for the full version and there's a trial version to confirm that I'll work for you.
                              Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
                              Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Comment

Working...