Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squeezebox Classic stuck at language selection

I have a Squeezebox 3 / Classic stuck at language selection (i.e. immediately after boot: "Press up/down to change, go right to move on | English").

The SB does not respond to the remote in any way. Factory reset doesn't work, nor any of the "special" keys described in the Slimdevices wiki.

I know the following:
    1. the remote works (I checked it against another SBClassic)
    2. a different, working remote (from another SBClassic) does not work
    3. the power supply is outputting enough power (again, I checked it against another SBClassic)
    4. it should not be the "broken" WiFi problem (yes, the WiFi network particulars changed since this unit last worked, but I have removed the WiFi card in an attempt to fix)
    5. the unit is plugged into wired ethernet but does not show up on the network [This may be "normal" as I think the SB is not fully booted at this point and network functionality may not be initialized until setup is complete (network setup occurs after language setup, right?)]
    6. I have removed and reseated the daughter card in the unit

This problem seems incredibly like what is described at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...stuck+language [but that is for the Squeezebox Radio, which, of course, has hardware buttons on the physical device]

Is there any way of getting the SB to reset when the remote does not work?

Can some pins on the board be shorted or something?!

This unit seems to be in perfect operating condition, but is merely stuck waiting for input (which it is somehow filtering out).

Thanks for any ideas.
    Last edited by fbachofner; 2016-11-05 at 11:49.
    -------------------------------------------------
    I help administer various Squeezeboxes
    (mostly Classic / SB3 and Touch)
    typically running against LMS 7.9x on LinuxMint 18 or Ubuntu 16.04

Subsequent to my post on Saturday I tried a couple other things:

1. isolated the malfunctioning SB3 from the network
      1. turned off WiFi router
      2. unplugged SB3 ethernet cable from that router
    2. attached the SB3 to another "isolated" Linux PC
      1. tried to connect with direct wired ethernet connection
      2. this was attempted using both regular and crossover cables
      3. unfortunately there no evidence the SB3 can be seen (will check arp and nmap later -- gotta learn a bit first)
      4. plugged WiFi card back into SB3 -- Linux PC can "see" the SB3 named "logitech+squeezebox+MACADDRESS" where MACADDRESS matches the label on the SB3! except it is all run together without : or - delimiters (which would be more "normal")

I am beyond frustrated there is no hardware reset switch on these units. When it is not power supply related, a simple jumper block to reset Squeezeboxes would probably solve 90% of the "serious" problems people have. I think this oversight was one of the only problems with SlimDevices' design.

As I asked before, does anyone know whether I can short some pins on the SB3 board to reset it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by fbachofner; 2016-11-07 at 16:02.

Can it be reached by the net udap script you used for a squeezebox reciver ?

Do you have squeezebox Touch ? That remote will also work if the original remote is broken ? Or is it confirmed that the IR reciever on the SB3 does not work ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Hi Mnyb:

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Can it be reached by the net udap script you used for a squeezebox reciver ?
    Don't know yet. I will try tonight after I have the kids asleep . . . and only after trying more options with a wired connection. As you may know, Robin, the author of Net-UDAP clearly says to connect over a wired connection. A wireless connection will apparently not work.

Do you have squeezebox Touch ? That remote will also work if the original remote is broken ? Or is it confirmed that the IR reciever on the SB3 does not work ?
    As I mentioned, I am certain the remote itself is not broken. I also used another known-good SB3 remote with the same result.

It is entirely possible the IR reciever is broken, but that is not something that typically goes bad, is it? It's not like a leaky capacitor or such . . .

I have narrowed down the problem to a specific item: daughter-card

Further details:

This morning I took apart a second (perfectly functioning) SB3. This was done so I could swap out the modular parts and definitively narrow down the problem and identify exactly what is broken in the "stuck" unit.

This entailed installing the known good components (daughter-card and WiFi card) on the stuck unit . . . and -- vice versa -- the modules from the "stuck" unit on the operating SB3 . . . and mixing up the various components.

Having gone through all the possible permutations it is absolutely clear the "only" problem I have is with the daughter-card of the "stuck" unit which launched this thread. [When placed in the functioning SB3 motherboard, that board then exhibits the stuck on language selection problem!]

One interesting thing I learned from all this is that all logic (including networking) seems embedded on that daughter-card. This is why, for example, there is only ever one MAC address associated with a SB3. Unlike the majority of laptops, the WiFi module does not expose its MAC address (if it even has a separate one). It just seems to provide connectivity in lieu of the wired port (if you choose to use the wireless).

I'm probably oversimplifying, but the motherboard seems to only provide circuitry for amplification of audio and mount points for all audio and power connectors and the daughter-card. [I was a bit nervous about trying this swapping in that the faulty part might have propagated issues to the motherboard of working unit (which I really do not want to sacrifice!). However, one reassuring (although not very accurate) demonstration that the motherboard can do nothing without the daughter-card is that it won't boot or display any signs of life including error beeps when power is applied without the daughter-card. This "test" convinced me to keep going, and I am glad I did.]

Quote Originally Posted by fbachofner View Post
    It is entirely possible the IR reciever is broken, but that is not something that typically goes bad, is it? It's not like a leaky capacitor or such . . .
    Just so we are clear, as a result of all this testing, I can confirm the IR receiver on the stuck unit is definitively not broken. The daughter card in the "stuck" unit results in a completely operative unit, including responsiveness to IR remote.

Next up: try Robin's Net-UDAP program.

Unfortunately, I am not hopeful that will work,given that I can not put the malfunctioning unit into factory reset mode. Robin's instructions indicate that is required.

A failed WLAN card can make SB3, Boom and Receiver fail to boot or other problems.

You can get compatible replacement very cheaply see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...mp-Transporter

You can even run without the wifi card , if that's acceptable. In case you run it wired anyway .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Hi bpa:

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    A failed WLAN card can make SB3, Boom and Receiver fail to boot or other problems.

I am acutely aware of that issue. I also know that it can simply be removed to test around that issue!

Apparently, TL;DR -- if you had read the thread carefully you can see my WiFi card is clearly not the problem.

Plain and simple: my daughter-card (which provides all SB3 logic functions) is "stuck" at language selection.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fbachofner View Post
    Hi bpa:

I am acutely aware of that issue. I also know that it can simply be removed to test around that issue!

Apparently, TL;DR -- if you had read the thread carefully you can see my WiFi card is clearly not the problem.

Plain and simple: my daughter-card (which provides all SB3 logic functions) is "stuck" at language selection.
    OK - I wasn't clear whether you tested without the WLAN card.
    When my WLAN card was failing - it interfered with other operations of SB3 evn though WLAN operations worked. Replacing the WLAN card cured the problems.

Daughter-card IS NOT THE SAME as WiFi card

There seems to be some confusion as evidenced by W-Fi-related replies to my thread.

The SB3 has a WiFi card, yes.

However, that WiFi card is plugged into a daughter-card which can also be removed from the main board.

I would guess that most people never remove that daughter-card because:

1. It is plugged into it's pin-block tightly
    2. It has one edge TAPED DOWN
    3. It does not "seem" to be a user serviceable part (unless, perhaps like me, you take electronics and other things apart all the time)

The daughter-card, when removed renders a SB3 completely inoperative . . .