Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasell
    • May 2008

Originally posted by JoeMuc2009
    It is likely that the display filament power supply circuitry in your Boom has failed. Many units suffer from this after some years. ...
    Many thanks Joe, this fix works great for me!

One of my Boom's went black, after being disassembled and reassembled, without finding any obvious failing parts it started to work for a while, but just a few months, then black again. I did the same trick once more, no luck.
    I was searching for a failing component, like for the SB3 audio out transistors... then you came to rescue with this nice guide.

Now there is light again!
    NAS: QNAP TS-459U+ QTS 4.2.6 (4x 2TB, RAID5)
    Services: LMS 8.3.0 by QLMS 2.30.01 QLMS at QNAP club
    Squeezebox: 6x Receiver, 3x Boom, 2x SB3 Classic, 1x Touch
    Controller: Control by Material skin or iPeng, Local music or Spotify by Spotty

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
      • Jan 2009

Nice, jasell! Thanks for the feedback. May it keep working for a very long time. Please let me know if any trouble arises with this solution. Anyway, I have applied it several times and nobody ever complained, so it seems to do the trick.
      sigpic

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Comment

• Squonk
        • Jan 2007

Nice, jasell! Thanks for the feedback. May it keep working for a very long time. Please let me know if any trouble arises with this solution. Anyway, I have applied it several times and nobody ever complained, so it seems to do the trick.
        Thanks so much for sharing this tip! It fixed my Boom, and kept me from having to take on the far more odious job of replacing the display - or getting rid of the unit altogether. I really appreciate it!

Comment

• pufnstuf
          • Feb 2007

Any pics of completed repairs?

Hi JoeMuc2009, jasell, and Squonk

Do you have a picture showing the diodes in place that you can share?

I have the same problem with my Boom and want to try JoeMuc2009's fix, but I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

Thanks for the great info and for the hope that my Boom has some life left in it!

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
            • Jan 2009

Hi pufnstuf,

sorry, I don't have any photos of the arrangement at this time, but I will make a few tomorrow.

Regards,
            Joe
            sigpic

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
              • Jan 2009

There you go: http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.de/20...isplay_30.html
              sigpic

Comment

• philippe_44
                • May 2008

Hi Joe - This is really cool blog! A while ago (can't remember if we talked about that) I did a battery solution for Boom (3D printed casing + board) here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Charger.zip. I've been using it on 4 Booms for a few years now and it works fine. Feel free if you want to add this if you want (no copyright ). For PCB, I use usually a company named iTead and, for my last 2 Boom(s), they did the component sourcing & CMS assembly. More expensive but super-convenient and they usually keep files of previous orders.
                LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by philippe_44
                  Hi Joe - This is really cool blog! A while ago (can't remember if we talked about that) I did a battery solution for Boom (3D printed casing + board) here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Charger.zip. I've been using it on 4 Booms for a few years now and it works fine. Feel free if you want to add this if you want (no copyright ). For PCB, I use usually a company named iTead and, for my last 2 Boom(s), they did the component sourcing & CMS assembly. More expensive but super-convenient and they usually keep files of previous orders.
                  Wow, that's a nice piece of work. I could refer to it in a kind of link collection around the Boom. Do you have any Blog or web site where this is presented?
                  How many hours of battery life did you achieve typically?
                  sigpic

Comment

• pufnstuf
                    • Feb 2007

wow Joe! That is fantastic - thank you for the detailed step-by-step instructions.

That is a huge amount of work you have put into explaining everything so clearly! Thank you.

Well, it looks like I have a weekend project now

Comment

• philippe_44
                      • May 2008

Wow, that's a nice piece of work. I could refer to it in a kind of link collection around the Boom. Do you have any Blog or web site where this is presented?
                      How many hours of battery life did you achieve typically?
                      A Boom uses 300~400 mA in idle and 600-1000 mA (of course depending of volume level). That gives 8 hours standby and 3~5 hours playback. I limited charge to ~250 mA (10 hours) to avoid making any change to the PSU and being able to use a linear charger w/o having a big heat dissipation issue. It means 8~10 hours of charge, but 2 hours charge would not make such a difference vs 10 for me (once it's discharged, whether I wait 2 or 10 does not matter, it's an overnight charge).

I don't have a blog or website, unfortunately. I've just published a post here but never found a good home for it - although the audience that has the patience to build that is probably fairly limited
                      LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• haggises
                        • Jun 2016

What a timely response. My venerable Boom has gone dark. While I can control it from Squeezer on phone, my lovely bride cannot.
                        Now if only I had confidence in my soldering abilities...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by haggises
                          What a timely response. My venerable Boom has gone dark. While I can control it from Squeezer on phone, my lovely bride cannot.
                          Now if only I had confidence in my soldering abilities...

I can help if you like. Certainly it makes sense only if the Boom does not have to go around the world for it. In my experience, when the display power supply fails, which happens after about 8 to 10 years of usage, the display itself is also aged so it might be worth while replacing it. But my approach is to fix the power supply first and then take a closer look at the display so nothing is wasted.
                          sigpic

Comment

• haggises
                            • Jun 2016

I appreciate the offer Joe, but you are in Germany and i am in the US. I found your website. I may give it a go on the speakers first.

Comment

• JoeMuc2009
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by haggises
                              I appreciate the offer Joe, but you are in Germany and i am in the US. I found your website. I may give it a go on the speakers first.

No problem, maybe you'll find somebody who dares the repair. The power supply trick is set up rather easily and it's likely you are going to need it anyway. Once that's applied, you can see what is left of the display and can decide if it is so bad it needs to be replaced. In that case I can still help by supplying fresh displays as they are virtually unavailable in the Americas. DHL shipping for just one display is surprisingly cheap, even for a registered parcel.
                              sigpic

Comment

• djringjr
                                • Feb 2013

Boom display not lighting up at all

Joe,

You have done a fabulous job. I thought you were a professional, you say
                                you're a "hobbyist" but your work is truly professional.

Do you know of anyone who repairs LOGITECH BOOM Speakers? I don't listen
                                loudly only at a quiet level but I am starting to hear distortion at 500 Hz
                                and lower.

For the help of others, if you know anyone who repairs these in Europe, say
                                who does this, and for those of us on the other side of the salt water pond
                                that is West of Europe and North of South America, tell us who does this.
                                (Atlantic Ocean!)

Thanks,

David

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM, JoeMuc2009 <
                                JoeMuc2009.7ywjqn (AT) no-mx (DOT) f...limdevices.com> wrote:

>
                                > haggises wrote:
                                > > I appreciate the offer Joe, but you are in Germany and i am in the US. I
                                > > found your website. I may give it a go on the speakers first.
                                > >
                                > > Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

> No problem, maybe you'll find somebody who dares the repair. The power
                                > supply trick is set up rather easily and it's likely you are going to
                                > need it anyway. Once that's applied, you can see what is left of the
                                > display and can decide if it is so bad it needs to be replaced. In that
                                > case I can still help by supplying fresh displays as they are virtually
                                > unavailable in the Americas. DHL shipping for just one display is
                                > surprisingly cheap, even for a registered parcel.
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > 5x Squeezebox Classic SB3
                                > 3.5x Squeezebox Boom (one broken)
                                > 1x Transporter
                                > 1.5x Controller (one broken)
                                > 1.5x Touch (one broken)
                                > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                > JoeMuc2009's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
                                > member.php?userid=23131
                                > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=106381
                                >
                                >

Comment

Working...