Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by kidhazy View Post
    Joe,

Is there any way to determine if a blank display is the power-supply versus a dead VFD ?

One of my Booms has finally died with a blank display (ie. no Logitech display at re-powerup, and doesn't even resurface after some time of power off).

Looking at your great and very detailed blog the VFD replacement is beyond my soldering skills - but looking to see if there is a way to diagnose if the power-supply work-around may work for me?

Cheers.
    Hi there,

sure, there is. You will need a multimeter though in DC voltage mode. If the Boom is still controllable via IR or via network, the display power supply is the main suspect. If it is no longer controllable, it might have died. Hope that's not the case.
    If you get down to the mainboard, you'll just have to push the multimeter's negative probe against one of the five screws that hold the mainboard, and the positive (red) probe against one of the three metal pins on the very left (upper corner) of the display. It does not matter which of the three you touch as they are shorted together. You should see around 5 Volts there. Then connect the positive probe to the one of the three pins on the opposite side (right top corner) and check the voltage there. It should be considerable less than 5 Volts. If it is same as on the left side, or even higher, that's the display power supply circuitry failure. The three-diode fix from by blog will help in that case.
    Please be sure not to have the probe slip anywhere else than the points described. You can easily damage the board beyond repair with a short circuit or ripped PCB lines, so please be very careful there.

Wish you good luck, and if you need help, let me know

Regards,
    Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

LMS 7.9.0 on Windows Server 2012
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    8x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (3 waiting for repair)
    8x Squeezebox Boom (one dead, one waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    2x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    3x Touch (1 dead, 1 waiting for repair)
    2x Radio (1 dead)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Hi there,

sure, there is. You will need a multimeter though in DC voltage mode. If the Boom is still controllable via IR or via network, the display power supply is the main suspect. If it is no longer controllable, it might have died. Hope that's not the case.
    Thanks Joe. Yes, the Boom can still be controlled via the Network (IR works, but hard to drive blind).

I was all set to open it up and check the voltages when I moved the unit on the bench and the display 'limped' back to life.
    It is very, very dull (even on the brightest setting) - which I think fits with your description of the VFD needing the voltage drop to maintain brightness.

So, I won't even bother opening it up to check just now, I'll just head down to the shops and grab some diodes and give your 'fix' a try.

Thanks.

Thanks again to Joe.

$2 worth of parts and the Squeezebox Boom display is back and active.

The display stopped displaying again and was measuring 5V at both ends - so yeah, power supply was the issue.

But your work-around did the job and the display is back and readable.

Now...just to get rid of the stickiness on the front panel ;-)

Cheers.