Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Standard Squeezebox remote setup not quite right...

Hijacking this thread as it looks like a good place to continue the discussion without creating another thread.

I've got pcp4 on a Pi3 B+ with the 7" screen, the 38 kHz TSOP4838 and the standard LIRC setup using a standard Squeezebox remote (currently using standard audio out, no DAC, no LMS, no "special" settings).

Using IRW I can see that each button press is a single event, but sometimes, Jivelite seems to act like loads of button presses took place. I can turn Jivelite off reliably using the power button (power toggle), but a single press (shown in IRW) turns it on and straight back off again (you can work round this by using pretty much any other button to turn it back on again). I also find on the odd occasion that a single volume up or down will cause Jivelite to increase volume to max (if up was pressed) or to Mute (if down was pressed) - not immediately but it acts like the volume up or down button has been held down until the volume won't go any further in that direction. The rest of the time, the response to the remote feels a little sluggish, and is far less snappy than a real Squeezebox (which is a shame, as the real Squeexebox is VERY snappy to remote presses!).

I have the standard

min_repeat 1
    suppress_repeat 6

in the standard lirc.conf.

Anybody seen the same thing - any ideas? (pretty please )

Cheers,

Matt.
    Last edited by mutant_matt; 2018-11-16 at 01:16. Reason: Appalling spelling and grammar

hi Matt,

Have you included a resistor and a capacitor in your IR receiver circuit?

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi Matt,
    Have you included a resistor and a capacitor in your IR receiver circuit?
    regards
    Greg
    Oops - NO! I must have missed that - would you happen to have a link to where that was mentioned? I have been back and forward through the threads trying to ensure I had done everything correctly, and it works well enough to make you think you've done everything. I somehow managed to miss that!

It's hard coming to these threads after they have "matured" rather than "live the journey" ( ), to find the pertinent points amongst the monster "release" threads where everything gets discussed. I've tried to read most of them and used a lot of searching, but managed to miss this nugget (or am just plain dumb! )

Thanks for your quick response and help,

Cheers,

Matt.

hi Matt,

Best bet is to look at your IR receiver datasheet, it should have a typical application schematic.

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi Matt,
    Best bet is to look at your IR receiver datasheet, it should have a typical application schematic.
    regards
    Greg
    Ah - I see. I just followed the instructions which seemed to show (including the YouTube video link Ralphy posted) you connect the three pins to 3.3v, GND and OUT to GPIO pins directly.

The datasheet does have an application example circuit, but it doesn't show the OUT connected to anything other than a transistor which connects the other two pins back to Vs and GND, which is confusing to a noob like me (you'd never think I scraped an AS level Electronics once upon a time! ). It seems like the OUT never connects back to the receiving device (the Pi in this case)

I've got a mate who is a whizz at electronics (he works on developing code for car radios and makes test/demo hardware circuits for fun), so I'll get him to show me what I'm missing and go from there.

Many Thanks for the pointers!

Cheers,

Matt.

I have had 4 pcp players with IR receivers wired directly to the gpio as outlined in that video for several years now and have not had any issues so far. Be interested to see if adding the extra bits help.

I agree that the remote usage is slower than the original and that's because the remote keys in pcp have to pass through several layers of emulation; lircd, uinput and finally the keyboard driver.
    I've been playing with adding lirc support directly in jivelite, well SDL 1.2 actually, but haven't spent much time on it lately.

Repeated keypresses in jivelite from lirc is almost always an issue with the lird.conf or the physical remote. I use the same configuration on one of my players and have not seen this. Could it be the volume keys stick sometimes on the remote?
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

If that is your experience, then Greg's suggestion is curious! Good to know though, thanks We'll see if my mate can help with that bit.

It's deffo not the remote (well, I'm pretty sure) - I have tried hiding it after a key-press, and the same thing sometimes happens (though I can't predict when it will happen). Also, having "hidden" the remote, I also only see a single event recorded by IRW. I've also tried 1 x original Squeezebox 2 (classic) remote, 1 x Squeezebox 3 remote and also my Harmony (which I usually actually use), and it happens with all three.

I can understand having held a button down for a long time, Jivelite (or all the layers together) struggle to keep up, but the worse problem is when you tap volume up or down once and it just keeps going (and other button presses don't stop it).

Also, I have noticed that occasionally, it doesn't respond to the remote at all, so you end up pushing lots of buttons, and then at some point, it springs back to life, and all hell breaks loose as it seems to process all the "missed" button events all at once (I'll see if I can "trap" that with irw)

I don't pretend to understand it very well, but would using the real-time kernel make any difference, or raising the priority of lirc (or other process) with nice, have any effect? (to be honest though, irw seems to show the button press events themselves, to be fast and reliable, so perhaps it's the later layers causing the delays?).

Overall, the CPU of the Pi seems to be almost completely idling, regardless of what Squeezelite/Jive and pcp are doing. When it's behaving itself, it's perfectly snappy enough and responsive, but when it's not happy, it takes a good few seconds to sort itself out and you have to be patient and wait for it to settle back down. It's not ready in this state to pass the WAF just yet...

Thanks for the great work regardless, it's a great thing and just the collection of components I've been waiting for since Logitech killed off the range in 2012, and also since I helped test the early beta's of Squeezelite... v4 really does seem to have everything you could want, covered and provided in a very easy and convenient GUI package to control and setup everything!

Cheers,

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by mutant_matt View Post
    If that is your experience, then Greg's suggestion is curious! Good to know though, thanks We'll see if my mate can help with that bit.
    Hi Matt,

As an excuse, I do have a bit of electrical/electronics background, way back in history! So when I use electronic components I look at the datasheets. The manufacturer usually has a typical circuit that guarantees their product works as specified. Often, leaving the extra components off doesn't mean it won't work, just possibly work less reliably. The manufacturer doesn't know the quality of PSU, the circuit it is being connected to or length of wire being used.

Note to recommendation about ripple when voltage is less than 2.8V.

regards
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Greg Erskine; 2018-11-16 at 14:31.

I only tinker in electronics and was in no way disputing Greg's recommendation, sorry if it came across as such.

I've just never had a problem with the hard wired IR approach and I've done a LOT of usage that way.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 1-UE Radio
    Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Thanks guys. Greg, that datasheet extract is the same as mine (Vishay) but the text (about ripple) is different (I'm using the 3.3v from the Pi).

Ralhpy, if IRW is showing only single button push events (i.e exactly matching the actual button presses), is that a reliable indication of what is being fed "upstream"? (if so, then the problem isn't the IR hardware part, but something in either the next layer or Jive itself?)

Could I plug a USB keyboard in to see how responsive/reliable Jive is to those events to try and home in on the problem? (thinking of things to try before I get the "extras" done on the electronic hardware front)).

Cheers,

Matt.