Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cross referencing 2 large music collections ?

Hello

My main music collection died last night (on a WD USB hard drive - one accidental drop too many !).

I have a double back up of this (another USB HD & an external, AC-powered HD), but this has been done manually over the years so am uncertain as to how accurate the backups are.

Is there an easy way to cross reference these collections, to ensure the maximum number of folders/files are restored to the new drive (hopefully without any missing) ? e.g. to find which files (if any) are absent from either drive that are present on the other...
    Last edited by swayzak; 2016-09-11 at 00:33.
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S5 (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    Is there an easy way to cross reference these collections, to ensure the maximum number of folders/files are restored to the new drive (hopefully without any missing) ? e.g. to find which files (if any) are absent from either drive that are present on the other...
    Depends on your os your folderstructure and your skills.

If you rename/move files in one disk - you could expect doublette files.

So whats your os?
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2016-09-11 at 00:29.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Depends on your os your folderstructure and your skills.

If you rename/move files in one disk - you could expect doublette files.

So whats your os?
    Win 10
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S5 (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

Quote Originally Posted by swayzak View Post
    Win 10
    FreeFileSync http://www.freefilesync.org/ can copy any missing files from one folder to another, and vice versa, so you would finish up with both folders containing the same files.
    Or you could just press the "Compare" button and sift through the list manually.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Pi3B+/pCP 3.5.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry AMP+/retro radio
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 3.5.0 > Edifier R980T
    In car - RPi3B/pCP in AP mode > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's audio (files on a 2TB USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 1xBoom

When I update my backups i use "Total Commander"; menu "Commands" -> "Synchronize dirs"

I also use it at work when I have to compare source code trees ( files including content).
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    FreeFileSync http://www.freefilesync.org/ can copy any missing files from one folder to another, and vice versa, so you would finish up with both folders containing the same files.
    Or you could just press the "Compare" button and sift through the list manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by slate View Post
    When I update my backups i use "Total Commander"; menu "Commands" -> "Synchronize dirs"

I also use it at work when I have to compare source code trees ( files including content).
    Do these solutions take into account that both drives have the same files but tags may be different ?

FreeFileSync http://www.freefilesync.org/ can copy any missing files from one folder to another, and vice versa,
    I also use freefilesync to keep my backup drives synched.

regarding whether same file, different tags will be synched???? I use the comparison option of "compare file size and time". See link:
    http://www.freefilesync.org/manual.p...rison-settings

If I've changed the tags in a file, it will change the file modification date (I use mp3tag for tagging; it has an option to either change or not change the file modification date and I allow it to change the modification date because I do want my backups to pickup any new version of a file even if all I did was edit the tags).

edit: In my own use case, I'm not doing two way synching as suggested to the OP. This would be needed initially to make sure files are same on BOTH backup drives. Once this is done however, I'd do one way mirroring. That is, I have the base HDD that I've made changes to, then I'd make sure that the backup drives contain the new/changed files. in freefilesync this is "synchronize MIRROR >>>" so that the HDD on the right side of screen is a mirror of the HDD on the left side of the screen (my base HDD).
    Last edited by garym; 2016-09-11 at 07:03.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post

edit: In my own use case, I'm not doing two way synching as suggested to the OP. This would be needed initially to make sure files are same on BOTH backup drives. Once this is done however, I'd do one way mirroring. That is, I have the base HDD that I've made changes to, then I'd make sure that the backup drives contain the new/changed files. in freefilesync this is "synchronize MIRROR >>>" so that the HDD on the right side of screen is a mirror of the HDD on the left side of the screen (my base HDD).
    Yes, that's exactly how I make backups, from a master copy of all my music on my "L" drive, and only make changes to tags/files on this drive.

I suggested two way synching only as a means of getting all music files onto both drives.
    Study/Server - LMS 7.9.1 - Pi3B+/pCP 3.5.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite, 25K library on WDMyCloud, cache and playlists on a USB stick (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP 3.5.0 > HiFiBerry AMP+/retro radio
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 3.5.0 > Edifier R980T
    In car - RPi3B/pCP in AP mode > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's audio (files on a 2TB USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 1xBoom

Yes, that's exactly how I make backups, from a master copy of all my music on my "L" drive, and only make changes to tags/files on this drive.

I suggested two way synching only as a means of getting all music files onto both drives.
    agree! the two way synching is the answer to get both drives consistent with each other since neither is the "master".
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I'd suggest that the mirroring approach only fulfills half of the requirements for a good backup.
    What happens if you accidentally delete some files on your main drive but don't notice for a period of time. A period of time during which the "deletion" has been written to your backup.

I use rsync from my main server to 2 others. One is local (i.e. in my house), the other is remote but I don't sync deletions. The upside is even if I accidentally delete a file its still on the backups. The downside is that when I replace an MP3 rip of a particular CD with a FLAC one I can, and do, end up with 2 copies of the CD on the backups.

Or does the backup software allow you to mirror without deletions ?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng