Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High-end squeezebox speakers

Just a brief review of 2 squeezebox speaker players:

Libratone Zipp
    ----------------

A modern tubular design - 360 degree sound. mains & battery operation (8 hrs). Operates as both dnla/upnp and airplay. Excellent rich sound. Expensive, but 5 stars if available at a discount.

The native Zipp app has equalization settings - these settings carry over to the LMS settings - useful.

Loewe Airspeaker
    --------------------

Compact minimalist design. Only operates as airplay, and mains power, but offers network standby. Limited wifi range. Excellent sound quality. Out of production, but available via ebay sources. Another 5 stars.
    Last edited by castalla; 2016-09-08 at 19:01.
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the Zipp "Mini" variant

As a former user of the original Zipp, having not heard the "new" Zipp, but based on Castalla's comment I will venture that the new Zipp Mini variant is worth 3.5~4 stars, depending on your listening habits.
    Basically this smaller/lighter speaker does not display the bass and medium of the regular Zipp. Not a tinny sound, but doesn't impress in terms of range and volume as the regular model does. Same ~8 hrs battery life.
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 6 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

You had me excited there for a moment, but they're not really "Squeezebox speakers". It would be great to see any of the current crop of lesser alternatives (SONOS, HEOS, Definitive Tech, Samsung, Yamaha, Bose, Polk, etc.) support SlimProto!

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    You had me excited there for a moment, but they're not really "Squeezebox speakers". It would be great to see any of the current crop of lesser alternatives (SONOS, HEOS, Definitive Tech, Samsung, Yamaha, Bose, Polk, etc.) support SlimProto!
    You can use Sonos as squeezeplayers - work very well. Bose are a no-no as they don't have dlna certified status.
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Vizio cast speakers

I am hopeful that the new Vizio speakers with built in Google Cast will first sound good and second work with the Castbridge plugin:
    https://www.vizio.com/smartcast-home-audio

I am also intrigued by this speaker:
    https://www.amazon.com/GGMM-Bluetoot...rplay+speakers

I doubt it would qualify as "high-end" but could be good value and I think it looks kind of neat - but only if it works with the airplay bridge.

None of the above is really high end to those downstairs in the Audiofools lounge!
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

The most high end you can do is simply using spdiff to a real hifi system , enjoy

... But for portable small formactor speakers that's goes anywhere , hints and reviews are most vercome .

In my secondary locations I use active speakers of any kind that takes analog or spdiff . That opens the field to almost anything as you now can peruse proaudio or "computer speakers" that's was previously a word for really crappy speakers but they tend to merge in the middle nowadays , active monitors getting cheap and computer speakers looking more like active monitors .
    And you can cut out the traditional hifi dealer in yet another way , go to music store where they sell keyboards guitar etc . They can have a home studio corner .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    ... It would be great to see any of the current crop of lesser alternatives (SONOS, HEOS, Definitive Tech, Samsung, Yamaha, Bose, Polk, etc.) support SlimProto!
    Yeah. I'd be curious to know what went wrong when this sync tech works fantastic, uses standard IP, has lots of clients in the wild, a large open source code library... And now we have to call DLNA/ccast/airplay progress.
    Anyways, let me praise philippe_44's job here again. With his Airplay bridge, he turns those devices into the most convincing of SB players.
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 6 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Yeah. I'd be curious to know what went wrong when this sync tech works fantastic.
    Airplay and Chromecast are licensed by Apple and Vendor to speaker vendors and the implementations are supported by Apple and Google. I'm guessing Logitech are unable to license slimproto to others and vendors won't implement a proprietary protocol without support.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I'm guessing Logitech are unable to license slimproto to others
    How would that be possible? Wasn't slimproto invented by slimdevices?
    (my bet would be: at first they didn't try, and then it was too late + redoing the server node too expensive)