Annouce: Squeeze Control is now available as a UWP app for Windows 10.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wt0
    • Jul 2008

Annouce: Squeeze Control is now available as a UWP app for Windows 10.

Squeeze Control is now a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app for Windows 10.

This is also the support thread for this app, but only for the UWP version. For questions about the previous version, go here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...indows-Phone-8

This was developed with both the phone and the desktop mind. On the desktop, mouse control is fully supported and to a certain extent keyboard controls too.

There are no device type restrictions on the package and so should work on all Windows 10 devices where apps can be used. I've marked it in the Windows Store as being available to all existing device types including "Holographic" devices (the HoloLens I guess*), the Xbox One and any future device types that Microsoft deems compatible.

This version has all the same features as the existing Windows Phone 8 version except that it can no longer run under the lockscreen or change the lockscreen picture (API no longer allows it). It also includes some tweaks to bring it closer to parity with the Android version.

There are two significant changes:

First, the header and footer control bars of the previous version have now switched places. This is how I wanted the Windows Phone 8 version to look, but wasn't able to do so due to limitations of that platform.

Second, song downloading is now more flexible. Not only can you select the download folder, but the entire download queue can run completely in the background without the app being open.

*I don't have a HoloLens, so if anyone tries this on one, I would love to hear about it.
    Last edited by wt0; 2016-10-10, 03:12.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for Android and Windows UWP, http://www.angrygoatapps.com
  • bwaldron
    • Jul 2005

Just downloaded the trial to my desktop PC (the same PC running the server, in case that matters). The app finds the server, but just won't connect. I get the "Connecting..." message and associated spinner, endlessly.

Love the app on Android, and looking forward to trying it out on my desktop as an alternative to Jivelite.

Comment

• verypsb
      • May 2008

Yes! I've been waiting a long time for an usable Windows app...
      Please vote:
      bug 1330 New music should work on creation date
      bug 17963 New and changed doesn't handle changed files
      bug 17799 Use a separator such as 'Also appears on' when viewing the albums by an artist
      bug 18054 Add support for 'Set Subtitle'/'Disc Subtitle' (ID3v2.4 TSST/ID3V2.3 TIT3)
      1x Boom, 1x Classic, 4x Controller, 1x Radio, 4x Receiver, 2x Touch

Comment

• Wigster
        • Jan 2008

Looks nice!

I will play around with it and come up with some comments. For the moment, I have a few ideas that would make my life easier.

* there should be a way to clear the whole playlist for a player instead of track by track
        * a simpler way to sync/desync players in the player menu rather than goon through the LMS menus
        * ability to surface submenus in the server main menu and rearrange them independently of the LMS. For example I would like to be able to access my BBC Radio Live Non-UK right on the main menu or using some shortcut button
        * a playlist/cover/menu screen for Windows that are wide enough (eg my 4K screen)

But looking great!

Comment

• wt0
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bwaldron
          Just downloaded the trial to my desktop PC (the same PC running the server, in case that matters). The app finds the server, but just won't connect. I get the "Connecting..." message and associated spinner, endlessly.

Love the app on Android, and looking forward to trying it out on my desktop as an alternative to Jivelite.
          Can you try manually specifying a server? I just want to see if it's the server discovery that's causing a problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
          --------------

Comment

• bwaldron
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wt0
            Can you try manually specifying a server? I just want to see if it's the server discovery that's causing a problem.

Same problem either way.

Comment

• wt0
              • Jul 2008

Same problem either way.
              Disconnecting then connecting doesn't help? Also after you disconnect make sure you have selected the newly specified server. Like the Android app it always tries to connect to the lasted used server first.

--------------

Comment

• Furry
                • Apr 2007

This doesn't run on my W10 'puter - just presents a red window for about 1 second before disappearing.
                Living room: piCorePlayer, with USB to Marantz PM7005, TDL RTL3 speakers.
                Dining room: SB Boom.
                Kitchen: SB Radio 1/4 with battery.
                Bedroom 1: SB Radio 2/4 no battery, SB Radio 3/4 with battery.
                Bedroom 2: SB Touch, AE 2.1. speakers.
                Bathroom: SB Radio 4/4, white, with (and running on) battery.
                Unused 3: Slim Devices SB3, Logitech SB3.
                Server: LMS v7.9.2 on piCorePlayer on RPi 3.

Comment

• bwaldron
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wt0
                  Disconnecting then connecting doesn't help? Also after you disconnect make sure you have selected the newly specified server. Like the Android app it always tries to connect to the lasted used server first.
                  No, doesn't help. I can connect to mysqueezebox, but I don't use that.

I'm down to one Windows machine at the moment, so I can't test from a different PC as I would usually do.

Comment

• wt0
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Furry
                    This doesn't run on my W10 'puter - just presents a red window for about 1 second before disappearing.
                    It might be something to do with the trial mode, let me check to see what's wrong.
                    --------------

Comment

• bwaldron
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wt0
                      It might be something to do with the trial mode, let me check to see what's wrong.
                      I thought of that -- and went ahead and bought it. Still no luck. As soon as a task I am running is finished, I'll try a system restart and see if that somehow fixes things.

Comment

• wt0
                        • Jul 2008

I thought of that -- and went ahead and bought it. Still no luck. As soon as a task I am running is finished, I'll try a system restart and see if that somehow fixes things.
                        I'm seeing this too, but on a different computer than the development one, so I'm trying to figure out how to debug it.
                        --------------

Comment

• bwaldron
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wt0
                          I'm seeing this too, but on a different computer than the development one, so I'm trying to figure out how to debug it.
                          OK. A system restart and a reinstall of the app didn't help, FYI.

Let me know if there's anything you need me to try on my end.

Comment

• wt0
                            • Jul 2008

For the crashing problem, it might be a the fact that the app targets the Anniversary Update. The min supported version is lower, and I wasn't warned of any problems during certification testing, but it may be something subtle.

Update: it does have to do with the anniversary update, specifically with license checking for trial mode. The developer docs recommends a new structure for doing it and says that you can use it if the app targets the newer update of Windows 10, but fails to mention that it means the minimum version.

Update 2: The Microsoft development environment is just stupid. The Android one warns you if you are using API newer than the app's specified minimum supported version.
                            Last edited by wt0; 2016-08-30, 19:42.
                            --------------

Comment

• wt0
                              • Jul 2008

OK. A system restart and a reinstall of the app didn't help, FYI.

Let me know if there's anything you need me to try on my end.
                              I'm going to first publish an update to fix the crashing problem. I'll need a little more time to diagnose yours. I've tried it on two different machines now, they both connect fine. Are there any less common plugins installed on your server?
                              --------------

Comment

Working...