Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem with updating library.

Hi there. I am having problems in updating the library viewed via MY MUSIC on all devices. First the system :- LMS 7.9.0-0.115 (17/02/16), Vortexbox running S/W version 2.4 on linux Fedora rel:23, The Database is SQLite 1.34_01.
    I have recently added some CDs by directly copying into the Vortexbox as it was unable to load them automatically, I also changed the names of some of the existing files for cosmetic appearance. The problem is that when I 'look' for the updated or new files, they do not appear under MY MUSIC - ALBUM ARTISTS / ALL ARTISTS / ALBUMS / COMPILATIONS etc. However if I select MY MUSIC - MUSIC FOLDER, the structure is correct and all data as expected, new albums and corrected existing albums! Is there a cache for the ALBUM ARTISTS / ALL ARTISTS / ALBUMS / COMPILATIONS etc.but not for the MUSIC FOLDER? If so how do I update it? I have reset, rescanned and powered off and on umpteen times. I can play via the MUSIC FOLDER tab but it is not as convenient as the usual route of selecting ARTISTS or NEW MUSIC. Sorry if I have rambled on a bit but it is driving me crazy. Thanks if anyone has got this far and can help.

Hi if you could browse and play they files bmf would mport/add the changed files and everything should be ok. Sorry but i dont know enough about vortexbox and i have no idea why you cant import your files directly maybe some filefolderpermissions are not set llike they should? btw. [crlf] is overrated

How did you copy the CD's directly? If you didn't rip the CD's with a program that adds the metadata tags then they won't be visible in the LMS database. The Music Folder view is looking directly at your library folders, not the LMS database.

Firstly, thank you for the replies.
    I think that the Vortexbox may be a bit of a red herring in this situation, the reason for using a different way of inputting new albums was because Vortexbox only uses a single freebie lookup for album art and so often fails to get any artwork and sometimes fails to get correct album info, too many 'unknown artist - unknown album - track 1, track 2 etc.'
    I used DBpoweramp as a ripper. DBPoweramp uses up to three artwork databases and is very secure with the ripped files as it compares the file checksum with other rips of the same album.
    I am concerned that the MUSIC FOLDER view of the files matches the directory on the disc whereas the ALBUM view must be looking at the LMS database which isn't being updated and still contains references to items that have been changed, i.e.. the filename has been changed or new items added and not made available. When I do a 'rescan' (with the option to clear library and rescan everything), I thought that the database would be cleared and the basic storage area would be read in as if for the first time. Am I confusing the terms LMS library and LMS database?
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadwinna View Post
    When I do a 'rescan' (with the option to clear library and rescan everything), I thought that the database would be cleared and the basic storage area would be read in as if for the first time. Am I confusing the terms LMS library and LMS database?
    Regards.

A library is a library like a ordinary book library and its shelfs.
    A Database is a book/log where some infoa are stored like book a from author b is written in 1982 and is a novel. and its found in shelf c, row d.

Btw: its easier to read lines with some spaces between.

If you play one of the tracks that doesn't show up at ALBUM ARTISTS / ALL ARTISTS / ALBUMS / COMPILATIONS by selecting it through MY MUSIC - MUSIC FOLDER, when you drill down to the track details, is the filepath to the folder the same as the one that LMS scans?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    If you play one of the tracks that doesn't show up at ALBUM ARTISTS / ALL ARTISTS / ALBUMS / COMPILATIONS by selecting it through MY MUSIC - MUSIC FOLDER, when you drill down to the track details, is the filepath to the folder the same as the one that LMS scans?
    Interesting, just checked and yes both routes to the file path are the same, in my case 'storage/music/flac/'

(I will try to remember to put in a few spaces as well, thanks DJanGo)

Cheers.

Just to rule out a problem with the tags, have you checked they are correct for the problem files?

Quote Originally Posted by Breadwinna View Post
    Firstly, thank you for the replies.

I am concerned that the MUSIC FOLDER view of the files matches the directory on the disc whereas the ALBUM view must be looking at the LMS database which isn't being updated and still contains references to items that have been changed, i.e.. the filename has been changed or new items added and not made available. When I do a 'rescan' (with the option to clear library and rescan everything), I thought that the database would be cleared and the basic storage area would be read in as if for the first time. Am I confusing the terms LMS library and LMS database?
    Regards.
    Just to be clear, LMS only reads the tags/metadata to build it's data base for viewing in the various menu options(except Music Folder). It doesn't care about or read the file names or directory structure. The LMS Library is where your files are located in the Storage directory on your Vortexbox. You are correct that LMS will rebuild the database on a clear and rescan, but it only looks at the tags that are added when you rip.

Problem with updating library.

>> I am concerned that the MUSIC FOLDER view of the files matches the
    >> directory on the disc whereas the ALBUM view must be looking at the LMS
    >> database

That's correct.

>> items added and not made available. When I do a 'rescan' (with the
    >> option to clear library and rescan everything), I thought that the
    >> database would be cleared and the basic storage area would be read in as
    >> if for the first time.

That's mostly correct, too. Did you ever check your server.log and
    scanner.log files for any hint about possible failures?

> Just to be clear, LMS only reads the tags/metadata to build it's data
    > base for viewing in the various menu options(except Music Folder). It
    > doesn't care about or read the file names or directory structure. You

Now that's wrong. LMS does indeed use the folder and file names in case
    tags were missing or incomplete.

--

Michael