Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100
    I need to wait a few days for the dust to settle and see what YouTube decides to do (search a bit on the internet and you'll see what I mean)
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I need to wait a few days for the dust to settle and see what YouTube decides to do (search a bit on the internet and you'll see what I mean)
    Interesting. Indeed there is suddenly a lot of noise out there about the RIAA coming after YouTube downloaders, in particular a recent RIAA notice to youtube-dl.

To be honnest, I have always felt that the amazing ad-free way by which we can access youtube content on LMS is almost to good to last. Of course LMS is small game and probably doesn't even register with Google, but since it uses ways that are similar to larger tools like youtube-dl it will suffer when they shut the door by actually protecting things. In the meantime, RIAA notices are pretty silly since there really is no actual physical restriction being circumvented besides the good old "somewhat messy and hard to read plain text response that keeps changing randomly a bit from time to time".

Quote Originally Posted by dawansv View Post
    Interesting. Indeed there is suddenly a lot of noise out there about the RIAA coming after YouTube downloaders, in particular a recent RIAA notice to youtube-dl.

To be honnest, I have always felt that the amazing ad-free way by which we can access youtube content on LMS is almost to good to last. Of course LMS is small game and probably doesn't even register with Google, but since it uses ways that are similar to larger tools like youtube-dl it will suffer when they shut the door by actually protecting things. In the meantime, RIAA notices are pretty silly since there really is no actual physical restriction being circumvented besides the good old "somewhat messy and hard to read plain text response that keeps changing randomly a bit from time to time".
    But this plugin does not have the purpose to *download* files, does not claim to have it. It's more a different way to browse content. It's just a purposed-built web browser
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    But this plugin does not have the purpose to *download* files, does not claim to have it. It's more a different way to browse content. It's just a purposed-built web browser
    Indeed. What I was trying to say is that the day might come where Youtube is forced to go where only approved client-side apps will be able to access the content, as that is really the only way to restrict the way separetely-served content is arranged and presented at the end point. But of course doing so would reduce the appeal, the number of users and ad revenue, so probably not their first choice. The deeper issue here as far as I can understand is that all this content (ad, videos, etc) is really openly served separately and then combined by client-side tools that anybody is free to create. So alternatively they could upgrade their back end infrastrucuture so the publicly served content is amalgated in the back-end for each specific request -- meaning ads and content are combined before being served. But doing so would require SO MUCH more back-end power than the client-side rearranging they use right now, and considering the sheer scale, probably really costly. Then of course people would come up with TIVO style tools that would skip the ads... Cat and mouse game. So maybe I managed to make the counter argument that they can't really practically lock anything after all.

So for now they leave their stuff right in the open (because that's cheap), rearrange things in a messy pile from time to time, and try to intimidate people to not create custom uses. In the real world, this would be the equivalent of any of us leaving our stuff on the sidewalk and then complaining that people are just helping themselves. Would anybody take that complaint seriously? No, but we are not multi-billion dollar corporations, so there is that.
    Last edited by dawansv; Today at 13:19.