Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

DSTM/MusicIP Question

Hi,
    I use DSTM with the MusicIP option. The way I tend to listen is to "seed" DSTM/MusicIP with a single track (eg. a single Miles Davis track sets up a Jazz playlist, a Bob Marley track sets up a Reggae playlist etc..). This works well in almost all scenarios except one...

I have about 20 Johnny Cash albums all under the genre "Country". I have no other "Country" artists. The problem I encounter is seeding DSTM/MusicIP with a Johnny Cash track plays a single Johnny Cash track but then goes onto random song mix (ie. any genre/artist). I think DTSM and MusicIP are doing what they should given the settings (and the problem is there is only one artist in the selected genre - therefore MusicIP doesn't return a Mix and DSTM defaults to Songmix).

In the above scenario, I would prefer DTSM to default to Songmix (limited to current genre). This would then effectively shuffle the seed artist (without having to change configs).

Is that possible, or are there any suggestions as to how better configure to cope with this scenario?

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.
    Location 1: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    Hi,
    I use DSTM with the MusicIP option. The way I tend to listen is to "seed" DSTM/MusicIP with a single track (eg. a single Miles Davis track sets up a Jazz playlist, a Bob Marley track sets up a Reggae playlist etc..). This works well in almost all scenarios except one...

I have about 20 Johnny Cash albums all under the genre "Country". I have no other "Country" artists. The problem I encounter is seeding DSTM/MusicIP with a Johnny Cash track plays a single Johnny Cash track but then goes onto random song mix (ie. any genre/artist). I think DTSM and MusicIP are doing what they should given the settings (and the problem is there is only one artist in the selected genre - therefore MusicIP doesn't return a Mix and DSTM defaults to Songmix).

In the above scenario, I would prefer DTSM to default to Songmix (limited to current genre). This would then effectively shuffle the seed artist (without having to change configs).

Is that possible, or are there any suggestions as to how better configure to cope with this scenario?

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.
    Try experimenting with the MusicIP settings. Mix style, mix variety and restrict genre.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Try experimenting with the MusicIP settings. Mix style, mix variety and restrict genre.

The mix settings make no difference. After a bit of experimenting, it seems to be an issue with MusiIP and having just a single artist in a genre.

Changing the artist names on a few of my Johnny Cash albums to something else resolves the issue and MusicIP returns sensible mixes. I might post this in the MusicIP thread, or I might just buy a few different "Country" CDs from different artists to mix it up a bit.
    Location 1: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

The mix settings make no difference. After a bit of experimenting, it seems to be an issue with MusiIP and having just a single artist in a genre.

Changing the artist names on a few of my Johnny Cash albums to something else resolves the issue and MusicIP returns sensible mixes. I might post this in the MusicIP thread, or I might just buy a few different "Country" CDs from different artists to mix it up a bit.
    So even turning off restrict genre makes no difference? I'll never understand how Music IP makes decisions

@!staresy Could you not just select the Cash album and set it to random play?
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 - 1614639334 @ Tue Mar 2 00:11:57 CET 2021
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.30.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.067
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    SB Touch connected by Optical to Sabaj A4
    amp and Energy bookshelf speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

The mix settings make no difference. After a bit of experimenting, it seems to be an issue with MusicIP and having just a single artist in a genre.

If you're not actively limiting to the seed track genre MusicIP is genre-agnostic, it will return anything that sounds similar according to the acoustic analysis. MusicIP by default doesn't use any tag info for generating its mixes, only its own database (default.m3lib file)
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...