Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Playlists playlists playlists!

Hi

I'm using logitech media server on a vortexbox (7.7.2). I've been very frustrated for ages that I can't get iTunes playlists to work. One option is to try and upgrade my vortexbox software but I am getting nowhere with this on the vortexbox forum (if anyone knows how to just selectively update LMS then do let me know!) I could use .m3u files which I have got working now, but the lack of dynamic updating is frustrating. So I did wonder about creating a symbolic link. I have little experience of this.

My file locations in my iTunes library.xml file are like this
    file://localhost/Volumes/files/music/flac/Music/

The files on my vortexbox are actually like this
    /storage/music/flac

Would anyone know how I would make the symbolic link, are there any risks and is this a solution here?

Thanks for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by orange2 View Post
    Hi

I'm using logitech media server on a vortexbox (7.7.2).

hmm that might be a very oldish version. Wasnt there a change in the itunes api long tiime ago?
    I would use a actual real lms instead of that vortexbox.

edit:

My file locations in my iTunes library.xml file are like this
    file://localhost/Volumes/files/music/flac/Music/

The files on my vortexbox are actually like this
    /storage/music/flac

localhost on different machines are pointing always to the localhost (the local machine)

btw i do really like search engines and how they work ;-p

Thanks for your reply. I've been chasing lots of stuff on broken playlists and there don't always seem clear answers...

Anyway just to clarify - I'm presuming that the 'localhost' means use of a symbolic link is not an option?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by orange2 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I've been chasing lots of stuff on broken playlists and there don't always seem clear answers...

Anyway just to clarify - I'm presuming that the 'localhost' means use of a symbolic link is not an option?

Thanks again
    Localhost isnt a symbolic link - its the hostname of the local hosts loopback device.
    if you have 500 computers you have 500 localhosts and each is linked to it own loopback address.

You wrote somethink like vortexbox and if your not running somethink like wine you must have another system that uses itunes - cause there is no itunes for linux only mac0sx and winblows.

just to clarify - please provide more information if you want someone to help you.
    I've been very frustrated for ages that i had to tell such things all the time.