Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezesvr owner changes from <myname> to <System>

I am running 7.9 on Window10. Family PC with 4 users - I am the administrator.

I have set the server to run from System start

I have noticed that the Squeezesvr owner changes from <myname> to <system> when someone changes user on windows. When I log in the library is deleted. I could be wrong but this seems to have started with Windows10 change. I never had an issue with previous Windows versions.

To fix I stop the service and restart Squeezesvr in the program folder - the owner changes back to my name, the library is rescanned and everything works again.

I am getting tired of this process and figure that I probably have not set things up correctly.

Is there a setup that means that avoids this problem.

Tks

M

Hi,

you should add a user like service_lms or something like that and tell the lms service to run @ this user.
    No need to login as that user - its just a "service" user.

I have a minor idea whats wrong why the user is changed do you use the lms control pane or a windows service?

It might be (sorry no win10) that you put a symlink to the startupfolder at that culd be the reason, why the user (who runs lms) depends on the logged in user.

Hi

Yes I use LMS control panel

M

Let the server run automatically at system start is indeed what you should choose in LMS Control Panel.
    And at least if the library is stored on a local disk then it's pretty fine to let LMS run under the system account, no dedicated user account is needed then (could be different if the library is stored on a mapped drive or network disk). But then the server should always run under this system account. And you should NOT start the server exe yourself, but always use the LMS Control Panel or the LMS tray icon.

Where did you notice that the owner changes, do you mean in Windows Taskmanager?
    And where are you noticing that the library is deleted when you log in?

HI

First prompt is that the player shows the music folder etc but says 'stopped' when I try to play.

I open the Control Panel and if I click rescan - all the music in the library is deleted.

Then I go to CTRL,ALT, DEL and look and look at details in the task manager and it shows that Squeezetray.exe is owned by <my name> but the squeezesvr.exe is owned by <system>. When I stop the svr service and restart manually it is now opened in <my name> rescans the music and works ok.

It works for a while and tehn goes back to <system>

Perhaps all .exe should be owned by system.

M

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    it's pretty fine to let LMS run under the system account, no dedicated user account is needed then
    Hi Reinhold,

i dont know which smart guy did tell you that piece of ... the first time - but be smarter as this noob.

Squeezesvr owner changes from<myname> to <System>

> I open the Control Panel and if I click rescan - all the music in the
    > library is deleted.

Did you enter your username/password in the control panel when
    configuring LMS to run as a service?

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mimnagh View Post
    Perhaps all .exe should be owned by system.
    No, the SqueezeTray.exe always runs under the account of the logged-in user, while for the SqueezeSvr.exe it depends whether you've started it manually or - if it is running as a service - whether you've specified account details or not when you've configured it to run automatically at system start.

And even if DJanGo seems to consider this evil, it should just work when SqueezeSvr.exe is running under the system account - provided that the library files are accessible without a specific user account. But you didn't tell yet where the library is stored.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    And even if DJanGo seems to consider this evil, it should just work when SqueezeSvr.exe is running under the system account.
    It is evil and of course when someone wrote something like:
    add a account for that service to run
    and another wrotes "no you dont need that - its pretty fine to run that service as "THE" local System (the only account with less restrictions as the local admin of this device)"

i really had to add a text to that and linked some official description to that - and its pretty clear that even the guys from mickysoft says its evil.

There is no need to tell someone (with minor pc experience) "its fine to use unsecure things and more (permissions) is better" its not - "less is better."

I dont know how many users bore a big hole in their router to using nat (for sure without a firewall) to access their lms.
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2016-06-14 at 13:05.

Squeezesvr owner changes from<myname> to <System>

> It is evil and of course when someone wrote something like add a account
    > for that service to run and another wrotes now you dont need that its
    > pretty fine to run that service as "THE" local System the only account
    > with less restrictions as the local admin of this device - i really had
    > to add a text to that and linked some official description to that - and
    > its pretty clear that even the guys from mickysoft says its evil.

The problem is that most of the time you primarily show off your
    infinite wisdom, rather than to help to solve the actual problem. While
    it might be true what you're saying, it's mostly noise in the
    discussion. As long as the user doesn't know where to enter the
    username, all discussion about which user to apply is only distracting
    from the actual problem.

So please everybody go back to my question in posting #7 and see whether
    we're even talking about the right place where to put your credentials.

--

Michael