Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    John M.

Graphic display: will it burn in or wear out?

Hi All,

If I leave the clock display running on medium-bright and medium-big all the
    time when I'm not listening to music, will the graphics display burn in or
    wear out?

Thanks, John

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Graphic display: will it burn in or wear out?

Quoting "John M." <mail (AT) machtinger (DOT) com>:

> Hi All,
    >
    > If I leave the clock display running on medium-bright and medium-big all the
    > time when I'm not listening to music, will the graphics display burn in or
    > wear out?
    >
    > Thanks, John
    >

The official word is that the VFD's have the potential for burnout, but that the
    time to do so is impractically long. So long that there is no MTBF given and
    Sean and Dean claim to have not heard one report or seen one case of it
    happening. Teh feature of slimserver to dim the display after a time is mostly
    for 'warm fuzzy' user imppression rather than any requirement to avoid burnout.

-kdf

Hi,

Sorry for bumping up this old topic but I think this has happened to me.
    I have been running the SB3 for about 1.5 year with the clock and brightness set to high. When something is scrolling across the SB now, in the middle letters seem more dim.

What can I do about this or could this me caused by something else?

I think it would be a good idea to have the SB3 firmware move the clock display across the display one pixel at a time maybe shifting once per hour or half hour. That way the work is spread over the entire display but doesn't move fast enough to be annoying or distracting.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by RempageR1 View Post
    Sorry for bumping up this old topic but I think this has happened to me.
    I have been running the SB3 for about 1.5 year with the clock and brightness set to high. When something is scrolling across the SB now, in the middle letters seem more dim.

What can I do about this or could this me caused by something else?
    I see the same thing with an SB2 on which I've run the date/time screensaver for a couple of years. Mostly at the brightest or next-to-brightest levels. The degradation of the display at the center is significant.

I see this on both an old slimp3 and an SB2.
    They have been showing the clock screensaver for years.
    Brightness is set to 1 on both devices when off.

-s.

I use the AutoDisplay plugin to turn off my displays at night. That saves about 6 hours of display time daily.

http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_software.htm

A nice idea that I don't know if it exists (but that would be overkill) would be to somehow put a sensor somewhere to detect when someone is nearby and when no one is around, turn brigthness off completly (since no one is looking anyway).
    rip (eac) > convert (flac) > tag (musicbrainz/mp3tag) > normalize (replaygain/foobar2000) > albumart (www/firefox) > transport (winscp) > store (debian) > manage (squeezecenter) > control (ipodtouch/ipeng-app) > play (squeezebox) > preamplify (zpre2) > amplify (zampv3) > listen (axiomm2/sennheiser-hd595) > scrooble (last.fm) > enjoy (me :)

http://www.last.fm/user/pichonCalavera

Quote Originally Posted by pichonCalavera View Post
    A nice idea that I don't know if it exists (but that would be overkill) would be to somehow put a sensor somewhere to detect when someone is nearby and when no one is around, turn brigthness off completly (since no one is looking anyway).
    The SB2/3/Transporter is half-there - it has an IR receiver. If it also had an emitter then this could be done, I had an HP48 calculator with a receiver and emitter that had a fun motion detector program that did this. :-)
    Current: SB2, Transporter, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Sold: SB3, Duet

I've had 2 SLIMP3s in constant use since that model was released and I can't say I notice any screen burn-in. I've had the clock on the lowest brightness setting. I haven't had a SB2/3 long enough to comment on that type of VFD.