Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hello,

For an update of the FreeBSD port to version 8.2.0 see the following bug I created some time ago.

Bug created to update LMS to 8.0.0 and beyond

This port also compiles the modified faad2 binary.

Attached the port version 8.2.0

logitechmediaserver-8.2.0.tar.gz

Thanks very much, Hans.

I am new to the FreeBSD community. Can you help me understand the difference between where you did your work, and this other "FreshPorts" port that shows up when I google search on "logitechmediaserver FreeBSD"": https://www.freshports.org/audio/logitechmediaserver/

Is FreshPorts an alternate package source?
    LMS 7.9 - 2xSB2, 2xBoom, 2xKodi, Ocean Digital WR2300S, Denon AVR-X6200W, SHIELD Android TV

Hi

From the freshports website :

What is FreshPorts

FreshPorts lists the changes made to the ports tree. If you wish, FreshPorts can email you when your favourite port has been updated.

FreshPorts is not the place to report errors or request changes. You should do that on the FreeBSD Ports mailing list. We do not maintain ports. We do not create ports. We do not fix ports. We just tell you what others have been doing to the Ports tree.

So freshports is a website that tracks changes to the official ports tree and can email notifications when changes are made to a port you are interrested in.
    You should have a copy of the ports tree on your FreeBSD system and keep that updated.

I assume you know the difference between ports and packages. (ports do not contain any actual software they just provide information on where to download source files, compile and install that software).
    There is no package for LMS because the actual software contains firmware files that are not licensed to be re-distributed.

You can search the official ports tree here

Thanks for the information, HansS.

My experience is with other Open Source communities, and I conclude that certain nomenclature is a local dialect thing. Indeed, a "port" in the MacPorts community is actually a software package.

When I search the official ports tree with string, "logitechmediaserver", I get pointers to four plugins for LMS that I recognize, and the server itself at: https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/...echmediaserver.

The name the search results gives is confusing: "logitechmediaserver-7.9.2.g2018.12.10" which embodies a version of LMS different from what's now being exported, and a checkin date that's also ancient.

The FreshPorts tracking page at https://www.freshports.org/audio/logitechmediaserver/ says Last Update: 2021-05-06 11:47:41

Forgive my being stupid here, but I can't get my brain around where the update to version 8 that you did landed in the freebsd ports tree. Is it the case that the workflow around your "bug report" means that the 8.x update you've submitted isn't yet pushed out to the official ports tree yet?
    LMS 7.9 - 2xSB2, 2xBoom, 2xKodi, Ocean Digital WR2300S, Denon AVR-X6200W, SHIELD Android TV

Quote Originally Posted by wcattey View Post
    Is it the case that the workflow around your "bug report" means that the 8.x update you've submitted isn't yet pushed out to the official ports tree yet?
    That is correct.

I do not know why freshports has a last update as 2021-05-06. AFAIK the port hasn't changed since it was updated to the current version which would be sometime in december 2018.
    Their Port Added date seems wrong also. In my email archive I found an email to the then maintainer from early 2009 about some issue regarding version 7.3.1 of what was then still called SqueezeCenter. Maybe the name changed to logitechmediaserver in 2016.

There is no reason to use the ports of the plugins. Installing any of these plugins via the normal way will work just fine.

Intrigued by this topic. What is the exact issue with system supplied faad2? As far as I can see LMS does not pass any parameters to the CLI frontend that are not supported by the regular faad2 (version 2.10.0).

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    What is the exact issue with system supplied faad2?
    The source for the modified faad2 is here

The main difference is that the modified version includes ALAC (Apple Lossless) decoding and support for stdin.
    Traditionally on FreeBSD ALAC decoding was done with the Audio/alac port but that didn't support seeking within a file and the modified faad2 does.

My port compiles the modified version of faad2 from the source above and puts the binary in ../logitechmediaserver/Bin where only LMS will look for it so it doesn't conflict with the official faad2 port or any applications using that.

For more information I suggest contacting the maintainer who also posts on here sometimes.

I'll save you the trouble reaching out to Ralphy. I got the details in a Private message earlier this week:

"In addition to the alac changes we have support to start playback at a specific time (-j and -e switches) and read files from stdin."

So 3 features:

1. ALAC support
    2. Begin playback at a specific time (with -j and -e switches)
    3. Read files from stdin

I've made outreach to the maintainer of what appears to be the canonical upstream of faad: https://github.com/knik0/faad2
    asking if they are interested in adding ALAC support.

I don't think anyone has taken the time to do such outreach in the past, but I may be wrong about that.

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't affect myself because I recode all music files in advance to prevent hick-ups as the server is busy with other processes, and I have in fact not had any complaints from people referencing my package, but I don't like loose ends.