Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    After a long hiatus, I've returned to this plugin to add a new feature. Now, if you place the file in a directory, it will apply to that directory and all subdirectories of it.

This will help people who organise their libraries into (say) separate folders for audiobooks, can just put the .simple-library-views-audiobooks file at the top level, and all subdirectories will be added to the library.

I've released a 'beta' version, which identifies itself as 1.1.0. You can install it by adding the following repo:

http://adhawkins.github.io/SimpleLibraryViews/beta.xml

It seems to have increased the build time for the Library Views by a factor of 10 however, so I want to get some more data to see if other people see the same thing. I'm pretty sure the code I've implemented should only be going to the filesystem once for each directory in each library view. I don't believe I can combine the building of all the library views into a single pass, as you pass in a scannerCB when you register each library view, which gets called and passed in that library ID.

If anyone could take the time to take a look over the code to see if I've done anything obviously wrong, then that'd be appreciated.

Look forward to hearing peoples experiences.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by adhawkins View Post
    It seems to have increased the build time for the Library Views by a factor of 10 however, so I want to get some more data to see if other people see the same thing.
    I haven't used your plugin before but I tried the beta with 2 directories. The library view was created as expected in each test and the build time was almost the same. It might not be enough data to be a good test?
    - .simple-library-views-mixes file in each album directory: Create Library Views Complete 00:01:49
    - .simple-library-views-mixes file in parent directory: Create Library Views Complete 00:01:50

Quote Originally Posted by coldslabs View Post
    I haven't used your plugin before but I tried the beta with 2 directories. The library view was created as expected in each test and the build time was almost the same. It might not be enough data to be a good test?
    - .simple-library-views-mixes file in each album directory: Create Library Views Complete 00:01:49
    - .simple-library-views-mixes file in parent directory: Create Library Views Complete 00:01:50
    You should probably try the original version of the plugin to compare with the beta.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Oops, let's try that again

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    You should probably try the original version of the plugin to compare with the beta.
    Ah, good point. I was thinking file-per-directory vs single-file/recursive-directory performance, not shipping-version vs beta-version.

.simple-library-views-mixes file added to 2 album directories:
    • v1.0: Create Library Views Complete 00:00:03
    • v1.1 (Beta): Create Library Views Complete 00:01:49

Looks like the change has a big performance hit. That said, I think the new feature is a great addition.

It is possible to add configuration to enable/disable the recursive behavior?
    Last edited by coldslabs; 2022-05-21 at 06:29. Reason: Add suggestion

Ah, good point. I was thinking file-per-directory vs single-file/recursive-directory performance, not shipping-version vs beta-version.

.simple-library-views-mixes file added to 2 album directories:
    • v1.0: Create Library Views Complete 00:00:03
    • v1.1 (Beta): Create Library Views Complete 00:01:49

Looks like the change has a big performance hit. That said, I think the new feature is a great addition.
    I've just released a new beta version in the beta repository (1.1.0a). You may need to uninstall and reinstall to pick this up. Hopefully that is more efficient. Let me know how you get on.

It is possible to add configuration to enable/disable the recursive behavior?
    Yes, possibly. I'll consider this. Will complicate the scan code slightly, but should be possible.

Andy

I've just released a new beta version in the beta repository (1.1.0a). You may need to uninstall and reinstall to pick this up. Hopefully that is more efficient. Let me know how you get on.
    That made a huge difference for me:

• v1.0.0: Create Library Views Complete 00:00:03
    • v1.1.0 (Beta): Create Library Views Complete 00:01:49
    • v1.1.0a (Beta): Create Library Views Complete 00:00:10

That made a huge difference for me:

• v1.0.0: Create Library Views Complete 00:00:03
    • v1.1.0 (Beta): Create Library Views Complete 00:01:49
    • v1.1.0a (Beta): Create Library Views Complete 00:00:10
    That's great to hear. Did it also add the correct tracks to the Library Views you'd defined?

Need to have a think about making the recursive behaviour configurable, as I think with the new scanning scheme I've just implemented this will actually be quite difficult.

Thanks for the update

Andy

That's great to hear. Did it also add the correct tracks to the Library Views you'd defined?
    I added 247 albums to the view, re-scanned and spot-checked. All songs were added successfully and it didn't add much time to the creation:

Create Library Views Complete 00:00:18

Need to have a think about making the recursive behaviour configurable, as I think with the new scanning scheme I've just implemented this will actually be quite difficult.
    Now that you have solved the performance issues it seems less necessary to be able to turn off the recursive behavior.

Thanks for the new feature!

I added 247 albums to the view, re-scanned and spot-checked. All songs were added successfully and it didn't add much time to the creation:

Create Library Views Complete 00:00:18

Now that you have solved the performance issues it seems less necessary to be able to turn off the recursive behavior.

Thanks for the new feature!
    Good to hear it seems to do the correct thing, and that performance is now much better.

I think I've managed to get the 'no recursive' option working. Will do some more testing of the scan code, then just need to implement the actual settings interface (which shouldn't be too difficult). Will release a new beta to test this new functionality when I can.

Thanks again for taking the time to test, appreciate it.

Andy

Ok, there's a new beta release (1.1.0b) in the beta repository. This implements the option to make library views recursive or not. Hopefully it'll just be offered as a straight upgrade from 1.1.0a.

Appreciate it if people could give it a go to make sure it works as expected for them.

Also, anyone running LMS on Windows care to give this a test for me?

Thanks

Andy