Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Wildly OT question: webdav or CIFS for iPad file browsing?

It's in the title: I don't think the question has much to do w/ LMS (not for me at least), but I hope Pippin or some other member knowledgeable in all things iOS can put me on the right track.

I have a server with the classic user|workgroup ownership scheme. The platform is linux, clients are Macs, fileserver is netatalk, user authentication is local.
    - Ideally I want to offer the same view when browsing from an iPad or from the Finder: identify as user foo and see 2 shares: "foo's homedir" and "shared files"
    - An ok solution would be to allow separate access to the 2 shares when identified as user foo. (I expect providing a page or cgi showing both locations is easy.)
    - Files accessed will be the usual PDFs and MS Office documents. R/W access is expected.

I understand this is feasible with webdav (I'd like to use lighttpd) in conjunction with fuse-bindfs (to remount the tree as www-data) and would use an autofs executable map to do the mounts. Messy, but feasible I think.

I see some file browsing clients for iOS advertise support for CIFS. Samba has always bored me and I remember no end of interoperability troubles with macs or win PCs in the old days.

Would you choose webdav or CIFS as file sharing protocol for an iPad?
    If CIFS, should I let go of Netatalk and replace it with Samba, even for desktop users?

Sorry for the bo-ring question, and thanks in advance for sharing your views.
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 6 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Wildly OT question: webdav or CIFS for iPad filebrowsing?

> I see some file browsing clients for iOS advertise support for CIFS.
    > Samba has always bored me and I remember no end of interoperability
    > troubles with macs or win PCs in the old days.

CIFS is what Apple uses by default nowadays. It's not bug free, but
    certainly better supported (and faster?) than netatalk.

> Would you choose webdav or CIFS as file sharing protocol for an iPad?

I never bothered to install anything but CIFS. I'm running a CentOS
    based server, Mac, Windows, iOS and Android devices. All access it just
    fine. I must admit that some non-ASCII characters got broken a few years
    ago during some Samba or client update. But IMHO it's a thing of the
    past nowadays.

> If CIFS, should I let go of Netatalk and replace it with Samba, even for
    > desktop users?

Please note that iirc you can't use a CIFS share for Timemachine. I
    might be wrong. But other than that I've never missed netatalk.

FWIW: I've been using Stratospherix FileBrowser on iOS for several
    years. It's actively developed, changes its icon every few months, but
    has been very useful to me whenever I needed to access a file on my
    server (incl. photos, movies etc.)

--

Michael

Thank you Michael, your answers are spot-on.
    Well, I will keep Netatalk for TM duties and move the rest to Samba then.

Ugh. But thanks a lot
    2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 6 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

You can use a CIFS share for TimeMachine with some workarounds but at least in the past it has been unreliable for me.
    I use AfS (or whatever that Apple network share protocol is called and CIFS in parallel but I have totally given up on file browsing on the iPad anyway, I have no use for that anymore
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch