Babelfish's Best Boy
    • Apr 2005

Please read: software players & mysqueezebox.com

> Can I safely deactivate its plugin on my server, and if so, will I lose
    > any functionality?

If you don't use any of the music services that are provided through
    MySB, then you don't really need it.
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
    (LMS: Settings/Information)
  • mherger
    Babelfish's Best Boy
    • Apr 2005

Please read: software players & mysqueezebox.com

A few weeks ago we had two outages on mysqueezebox.com. That was more than we had in a long time before. Most likely just a coincidence. But it lead me to do some analysis of our infrastructure, its weaknesses and how we could improve. And this un-earthed a few issues.

We have supported using software players with LMS from the very early days. SoftSqueeze actually lead to hiring its author as the first SlimDevices employee overseas. Back then we considered it kind of a "try before you buy" for the actual Squeezebox. But with the end of the Squeezebox, the use of software players has become more and more important. They're being used as SB replacements as well as additions to existing installations or even totally new installations.

Unfortunately a bug or two in mysqueezebox.com led all those software players to be registered in our databases. From what I understand (reading the code) we tried to prevent even registration of older Squeezebox models and the good, old SliMP3, because they couldn't connect to mysqueezebox.com anyway. Therefore these software player registrations are unwanted and unnecessary. Add to this the fact that too many users tried to be smart about faking MAC addresses, and using mysqueezebox.com in ways we can no longer accept. In short: registration of software players on mysb.com has become a problem. I'm therefore going to fix those loopholes.

Alas those fixes won't go without some side-effects. Please expect some hiccups as I'm wading through potential solutions for these issues. I'll try my best to apply fair rules (after all I want to be able to run my Squeezeplay, too :-)). If you're running into any kind of issue using mysb.com based services, please let me know. It might be a temporary issue or not.

Thanks for your understanding!

--

Michael
    Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"

Comment

• pippin
      • Oct 2007

Is the "side effect" that one can no longer use services provided by MySB on software players?
      ---
      learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
      Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
      at penguinlovesmusic.com
      New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• mherger
        Babelfish's Best Boy
        • Apr 2005

Please read: software players &mysqueezebox.com

> Is the "side effect" that one can no longer use services provided by
        > MySB on software players?

No. I want to be able to do this myself. But eg. players with faked
        Squeezebox MAC addresses will no longer work as expected.

--

Michael
        Michael

Comment

• Jeff07971
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mherger
          > Is the "side effect" that one can no longer use services provided by
          > MySB on software players?

No. I want to be able to do this myself. But eg. players with faked
          Squeezebox MAC addresses will no longer work as expected.

--

Michael
          Hi Michael,

To clarify, It is intended that MySB will be usable on software players but NOT those that use faked 00:04:20:**:**:** MACs ?

Jeff
          Last edited by Jeff07971; 2016-04-12, 11:08.
          sigpic
          Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• kidstypike
            • Feb 2007

I don't use mySQB.com, but I've just logged into my account and deleted 12 players I didn't even know were registered. They seemed to be Raspberry Pi's with names I don't even use now.

Just sayin'.
            Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
            Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
            Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
            Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• mherger
              Babelfish's Best Boy
              • Apr 2005

> To clarify, It is intended that MySB will be usable on software players
              > but not those that use faked 00:04:20:**:**:** MACs ?

Yes, most software players should be able to continue to work as before.
              A LMS update might become a requirement, though: today LMS receives the
              list of music services on a per-player base. If we no longer let
              software players register, this would return empty lists. I'll have to
              update LMS to overcome this limitation.

--

Michael
              Michael

Comment

• Jeff07971
                • Aug 2011

> To clarify, It is intended that MySB will be usable on software players
                > but not those that use faked 00:04:20:**:**:** MACs ?

--

Michael
                Thanks Michael
                sigpic
                Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• Jeff07971
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by kidstypike
                  I don't use mySQB.com, but I've just logged into my account and deleted 12 players I didn't even know were registered. They seemed to be Raspberry Pi's with names I don't even use now.

Just sayin'.
                  Just did the same !
                  Last edited by Jeff07971; 2016-04-12, 11:28. Reason: typo
                  sigpic

Comment

• pippin
                    • Oct 2007

You mean the server would download the list from the account and then all these services would work with all compatible players connected to that server? That would actually be quite a simplification Some people currently get confused when one service is not configured for one of their players, e.g. because they only added a service later or disabled it for some reason (I think by default MySB now applies all service changes to all players anyway).
                    ---
                    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                    at penguinlovesmusic.com
                    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• zordaz
                      • Oct 2013

A stupid question perhaps, but what exactly defines a software player and when is it called a normal/hardware player?
                      I mean: every Squeezebox uses hardware and software for playing, whether it is an original device or whether it is a DIY-player.
                      For example: is a HifiBerry with piCorePlayer a software player? As far as I can see it is not using a fake MAC-address.
                      Living Room: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ Pro & piCorePlayer
                      Attic: RPI2+HifiBerry DAC+ RCA & piCorePlayer
                      Other rooms: 6x SB Radio
                      LMS: Version 8.5.1 on Xubuntu 22.04LTS

Comment

• Julf
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by zordaz
                        A stupid question perhaps, but what exactly defines a software player and when is it called a normal/hardware player?
                        I mean: every Squeezebox uses hardware and software for playing, whether it is an original device or whether it is a DIY-player.
                        For example: is a HifiBerry with piCorePlayer a software player? As far as I can see it is not using a fake MAC-address.
                        I assume a "hardware player" is actually "device sold by logitech" as opposed to "some third party hardware running suitable software".
                        "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• Jeff07971
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by zordaz
                          A hardware device is a Squeezebox/SliMP3 anything else is software I would think.
                          sigpic

Comment

• mherger
                            Babelfish's Best Boy
                            • Apr 2005

> A stupid question perhaps, but what exactly defines a software player
                            > and when is it called a normal/hardware player?

It's not stupid at all. After all the Radio/Touch/Controller are running
                            the same Squeezeplay software as Squeezeplay on your computer (or the
                            Joggler, or...). Julf is right: I refer to "hardware players" as players
                            sold by Logitech/SlimDevices. Real Squeezebox hardware with a sticker at
                            the bottom :-).

Software player is everything else: Squeezeplay on your computer,
                            squeezelite, iPeng, you name it.

> For example: is a HifiBerry with piCorePlayer a software player? As far

Yes.

--

Michael
                            Michael

Comment

• Mnyb
                              • Feb 2006

Oh dear half the dB must be people's old phones etc some of mine seems to have been automatically added when I ran some soft players there I don't that all that cruft is maliciously added by sneaky users it just got this way somehow .

I'm perfectly happy running LMS to get mysb.com based services trough LMS for soft players its a nice service to provide for free anyway ?
                              I must assume that even if bougth 6 squeezeboxes over they years ,my money for LMS upkeep are already spent .

I have assumed that using your player trough LMS don't load mysqueezebox.com as much as a direct connection , is that the case even for newer players like touch or players without GUI , like squeezelite ?
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                              Bedroom/Office: Boom
                              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

Working...