Compare flac to accurateip database on linux?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rkrug
    • Dec 2013

Compare flac to accurateip database on linux?

Hi

I would like to compare my flacs, ripped over several years with
    different programs, CD drives, OS and computers, to the accurateip
    database.

I have found CUEtools [1] which apparently can do this, but they only
    run on Windows.

Is there a linux commandline tool to check existing flac to the
    accuraterip database?

Thanks,

Rainer

Footnotes:
    [1] http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/Main_Page

--
    Rainer M. Krug
    email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
    PGP: 0x0F52F982

• Owen Smith
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by rkrug
    I have found CUEtools which apparently can do this, but they only
    run on Windows.
    CUEtools can definitely do this, I've used it quite a lot to check and even repair previous rips. And it compares against two databases, the accuraterip one and it's own CTDB.

Comment

• Julf
      • Dec 2010

Morituri (on linux) does compare with accurip, but I don't think it can read existing FLAC files. It is written in python (but in a somewhat odd style), so reasonably easy to modify.
      "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• cdmackay
        • Feb 2009

According to my my notes, I used to use morituri for this on Linux, with:

rip image verify file.cue

as I was ripping to FLAC-per-disk plus CUE file.

I imagine it should be able to do it directly with the FLAC file, but I don't know if the syntax is the same.

Nowadays, I'm sitting in front of a Mac, so use XLD to both rip & verify.

Comment

• Julf
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cdmackay
          I imagine it should be able to do it directly with the FLAC file, but I don't know if the syntax is the same.
          Not sure - the problem is that to look up the album, you need the whole album, in the right track order.

rip image verify -help states "Usage: rip image verify [CUEFILE]..." so I guess the verify function really needs a cue file. I guess you could use cuetools to make a cue file for an album just for verifying purposes.
          "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• rkrug
            • Dec 2013

Compare flac to accurateip database onlinux?

cdmackay <cdmackay.7e1dsn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> According to my my notes, I used to use morituri for this on Linux,
            > with:
            >
            > rip image verify file.cue
            >
            > as I was ripping to FLAC-per-disk plus CUE file.
            >
            > I imagine it should be able to do it directly with the FLAC file, but I
            > don't know if the syntax is the same.
            >
            >
            > Nowadays, I'm sitting in front of a Mac, so use XLD to both rip &
            > verify.

Nowadays, I am doing the same. But my LMS is sitting on a Linux box, and
            I want to check it there.

Could I do a check with XLD of the flac? When I rip, XLD is doing it
            perfectly.

Cheers,

Rainer

>
            >
            > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > cdmackay's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=24816
            > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105457
            >
            >

Comment

• rkrug
              • Dec 2013

Owen Smith <Owen.Smith.7e0r7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> rkrug wrote:
              >> I have found CUEtools which apparently can do this, but they only
              >> run on Windows.

>
              > CUEtools can definitely do this, I've used it quite a lot to check and
              > even repair previous rips. And it compares against two databases, the
              > accuraterip one and it's own CTDB.

Hm - I might install them on my Mac using wine and do a once off check
              if I don't find another solution.

>
              >
              > Owen Smith's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=42371
              >
              >

Comment

• rkrug
                • Dec 2013

Julf <Julf.7e0rnz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> Morituri (on linux) does compare with accurip, but I don't think it can
                > read existing FLAC files. It is written in python (but in a somewhat odd
                > style), so reasonably easy to modify.

I am more looking for an easier solution then modify existing code.

>
                >
                >
                > "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
                > fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
                > edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953
                > Julf's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=42050
                >
                >

Comment

• Julf
                  • Dec 2010

I am more looking for an easier solution then modify existing code.
                  Turns out morituri can do the verification without any code modifications, but it needs a cue file. You can produce a cue file using shntool.

Comment

• cdmackay
                    • Feb 2009

cdmackay <cdmackay.7e1dsn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> Nowadays, I'm sitting in front of a Mac, so use XLD to both rip &
                    > verify.

Nowadays, I am doing the same. But my LMS is sitting on a Linux box, and
                    I want to check it there.

Could I do a check with XLD of the flac? When I rip, XLD is doing it
                    perfectly.
                    Same here, actually. I use sshfs (via ExpanDrive) to "mount" the Linux filesystem on the Mac, then use XLD to verify.

Bit I use a cue file there, too, as with morituri.

Julf has noted how to produce a cue file if you don't already have one.

Comment

• rkrug
                      • Dec 2013

cdmackay <cdmackay.7e3a4n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> rkrug wrote:
                      >> cdmackay <cdmackay.7e1dsn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
                      >> writes:
                      >>
                      >> > Nowadays, I'm sitting in front of a Mac, so use XLD to both rip &
                      >> > verify.

>>
                      >> Nowadays, I am doing the same. But my LMS is sitting on a Linux box,
                      >> and
                      >> I want to check it there.
                      >>
                      >> Could I do a check with XLD of the flac? When I rip, XLD is doing it
                      >> perfectly.
                      >>

>
                      > Same here, actually. I use sshfs (via ExpanDrive) to "mount" the Linux
                      > filesystem on the Mac, then use XLD to verify.

OK - I use an nfs share (apparently much less heavy on server resources
                      than sshfs - an admin once told me not to use it because of heavy
                      resource usage) nw=hich I mount to my Mac when needed.

I looked into XLD - but couldn't find an option to verify flac files?
                      How can I do this?

>
                      > Bit I use a cue file there, too, as with morituri.
                      >
                      > Julf has noted how to produce a cue file if you don't already have one.

Yes - I have =seen this. I should probably do this.

>
                      >
                      >
                      >

Comment

• rkrug
                        • Dec 2013

Rainer M Krug <Rainer (AT) krugs (DOT) de> writes:

> cdmackay <cdmackay.7e3a4n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:
                        >
                        >> rkrug wrote:
                        >>> cdmackay <cdmackay.7e1dsn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
                        >>> writes:
                        >>>
                        >>> > Nowadays, I'm sitting in front of a Mac, so use XLD to both rip &
                        >>> > verify.
                        >>>
                        >>> Nowadays, I am doing the same. But my LMS is sitting on a Linux box,
                        >>> and
                        >>> I want to check it there.
                        >>>
                        >>> Could I do a check with XLD of the flac? When I rip, XLD is doing it
                        >>> perfectly.
                        >>>

>>
                        >> Same here, actually. I use sshfs (via ExpanDrive) to "mount" the Linux
                        >> filesystem on the Mac, then use XLD to verify.

>
                        > OK - I use an nfs share (apparently much less heavy on server resources
                        > than sshfs - an admin once told me not to use it because of heavy
                        > resource usage) nw=hich I mount to my Mac when needed.
                        >
                        > I looked into XLD - but couldn't find an option to verify flac files?
                        > How can I do this?

Thanks to

I found it:

Open Folder As Disk - Bottom left of window, you see a "Verify" Button -
                        that's it. Works even without cue files, and I can create cue files
                        from there.

Only question left: Can I automate this or run it via command line? I
                        don't feel like doing these checks by hand for several hundreds of
                        albums.

Suggestions?

>
                        >>
                        >> Bit I use a cue file there, too, as with morituri.
                        >>
                        >> Julf has noted how to produce a cue file if you don't already have one.

>
                        > Yes - I have =seen this. I should probably do this.
                        >
                        >>
                        >>
                        >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        >> cdmackay's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=24816
                        >> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=105457
                        >>
                        >>

Comment

• cdmackay
                          • Feb 2009

OK - I use an nfs share (apparently much less heavy on server resources
                          than sshfs - an admin once told me not to use it because of heavy
                          resource usage) nw=hich I mount to my Mac when needed.
                          Yes, I would much prefer NFS. In fact, I used to be an NFS kernel developer

But the current Mac OSX NFS client leaves much to be desired, at least for NFSv4 - lots of perf issues, etc. So I'm stuck with sshfs for now. Better than nothing.

apols for OT.

Comment

• rkrug
                            • Dec 2013

[OT] NFS shares Mac client - WAS: Re:Compare flac to accurateip database on linux?

cdmackay <cdmackay.7e4zsn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> rkrug wrote:
                            >>
                            >> OK - I use an nfs share (apparently much less heavy on server resources
                            >> than sshfs - an admin once told me not to use it because of heavy
                            >> resource usage) nw=hich I mount to my Mac when needed.
                            >>

>
                            > Yes, I would much prefer NFS. In fact, I used to be an NFS kernel
                            > developer

SO an expert - great.

>
                            > But the current Mac OSX NFS client leaves much to be desired, at least
                            > for NFSv4 - lots of perf issues, etc. So I'm stuck with sshfs for now.
                            > Better than nothing.

Could you elaborate a bit what these are? Does it is affect speed in
                            data transfers? Might SAMBA be than the better option for Mac OSX
                            client? what about switching to NFSv3?

>
                            > apols for OT.

Might be an interesting question here as well - manly LMS are running on
                            Linux, managed from a Mac?

Cheers,

Rainer

>
                            >
                            >
                            >

Comment

• rkrug
                              • Dec 2013

cdmackay <cdmackay.7e3a4n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> rkrug wrote:
                              >> cdmackay <cdmackay.7e1dsn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
                              >> writes:
                              >>
                              >> > Nowadays, I'm sitting in front of a Mac, so use XLD to both rip &
                              >> > verify.

>>
                              >> Nowadays, I am doing the same. But my LMS is sitting on a Linux box,
                              >> and
                              >> I want to check it there.
                              >>
                              >> Could I do a check with XLD of the flac? When I rip, XLD is doing it
                              >> perfectly.
                              >>

>
                              > Same here, actually. I use sshfs (via ExpanDrive) to "mount" the Linux
                              > filesystem on the Mac, then use XLD to verify.

Can I do batch checking of hundreds of albums using XLD? Haven't seen
                              anything?

Rainer

>
                              > Bit I use a cue file there, too, as with morituri.
                              >
                              > Julf has noted how to produce a cue file if you don't already have one.
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >

Comment

Working...