Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Boom Alarm Failing and no beep backup

I recently started using my Boom as a radio alarm again - the UI is so much better than the DAB system I tried instead - but my Radio 2 alarm is failing 50% of the time. I don't even get a beep, just a flashing alarm symbol is noticed when I finally wake up.

The logs shows this:

[16-03-08 07:25:18.1664] Slim::Utils::Scanner::Remote::__ANON__ (240) Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediasele...radio_two.pls: Connect timed out: Inappropriate ioctl for device.

I don't know if this has any bearing but since I use Tidal via IckStream I get lots of these in the logs:

[16-03-11 07:35:27.9680] Plugins::IckStreamPlugin::PlayerService::__ANON__ (1423) Error when sending playbackQueueChanged for Bedroom
    [16-03-11 07:35:27.9701] Plugins::IckStreamPlugin::PlayerService::__ANON__ (1492) Error when sending playerStatusChanged for Bedroom

Boom can be kind of stupid that way :/

The backup beep , it needs to se the server at least every 24hr it only remembers one alarm ahead .

And if it gets a stream and that fails or is silent , it thinks all is ok , it does not check if actual audio is coming out of the speakers .

If you set it to use a local playlist n your server does it work then ?

Also boom has a WOL routine it wakes the server 10 minutes before the alarm , and that time can't be changed .
    So if the server goes to sleep again , then you have a problem .

There can be some fiddling done with radio streaming , if you test with local files you can determine if it is the alarm that goes wrong or it is alarm with radio streams .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Alarms are handled by LMS so the problem will be much the same if you are using a Boom, Touch or any other player . That said the ioctl error is strange.

When alarm goes off - LMS has to make contact (to get pls and determine stream type) and then be able to play the stream within a specified time otherwise player will play a default sound. If it is a morning alarm - then all network system may go into idle or low power overnight (e.g. Wifi, power over ethernet) and so take longer to "wake up". Another problem (which I have here) is that many user try to play the same URL around the same time so station network get a bit overloaded and are slow to respond - so set alarm a bit earlier and not a mulitple of 5 minutes. You could try setting two alarms for same station a few minutes apart.

2 Alarms.

2 alarms just a few mins apart. Great idea. Messy but it should address any WOL problems. Although it looks like my NAS doesn't go to sleep - just hard disk hibernate. Could be the wifi (separate Unifi device) sleeping I suppose but I can't see how to change that. The other poster suggested a 10 min advance WOL, but I don't see anything in the LMS logs for that and can't find out how to detect it on my Synology NAS.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Alarms are handled by LMS so the problem will be much the same if you are using a Boom, Touch or any other player . That said the ioctl error is strange.

When alarm goes off - LMS has to make contact (to get pls and determine stream type) and then be able to play the stream within a specified time otherwise player will play a default sound. If it is a morning alarm - then all network system may go into idle or low power overnight (e.g. Wifi, power over ethernet) and so take longer to "wake up". Another problem (which I have here) is that many user try to play the same URL around the same time so station network get a bit overloaded and are slow to respond - so set alarm a bit earlier and not a mulitple of 5 minutes. You could try setting two alarms for same station a few minutes apart.

3 alarms?

Quote Originally Posted by brmmbrmm View Post
    2 alarms just a few mins apart. Great idea.
    I *think* you want 3 alarms, as the 2nd alarm sounding during the program launched by the 1st alarm would have the effect of interrupting the running alarm instead of switching programs. Hence a third alarm might be required
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...e-price-of-one

(perhaps this quirk doesn't exist anymore in current LMS versions.)
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

If you always run a server , try to use proxied streaming in the players settings for the boom (in LMS ) , the server is usually better to buffer streams ,maybe they start a bit more reliable that way
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html