Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    True but transcode, as we discovered today.

Not really, there is nothing you could do in C-3PO that you can't do using custom-convert.conf, the added value is mainly that you could discriminate the 'type' of transcoding by input format AND sample rate, then - at least I hope - the user interface, nothing else, really.

Have a good nigth!
    The user interface is good. I struggle with 'man' for sox and so on. Thanks.
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by devgcl View Post
    Hey Marco,
    I am listening to Deezer and i can clearly see the difference on some songs where the C-3PO plugin had a positively great effect. If i can summarise, cluttered passages are clearer, instruments more seperated, bass is more prominant and overall musicality heightened.
    Thank you for bringing it to us and also being so helpful.
    Hope others discover this little gem
    Dave
    Thanks for your appreciation, could I ask you witch settings are you using?

Marco
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

I used my Pioneer Receiver's Audyssey room calibration to gather the equalizer settings to rectify my room accoustics (I have wood floor without carpets).
    Hence the setting I am using are:
    Manual Gain Reduction : 3; Loudness Gain: 3; Loudness Reference: 65
    Additional effects BEFORE resampling: equalizer 1k 0.8q -3.0 equalizer 2k 0.8q -2.0 equalizer 4k 0.8q +0.0 equalizer 8k 0.8q +0.5
    Additional effects AFTER resampling: equalizer 63 0.8q +2.5 equalizer 125 0.8q -1.0 equalizer 250 0.8q 0.0 equalizer 500 0.8q +5.0

Note, The Effects text fields have limited space hence I had to split the equalizer in the 2 lines. Wish it allowed longer text field so that I can enter all as an AFTER effect.

I used my Pioneer Receiver's Audyssey room calibration to gather the equalizer settings to rectify my room accoustics (I have wood floor without carpets).
    Hence the setting I am using are:
    Manual Gain Reduction : 3; Loudness Gain: 3; Loudness Reference: 65
    Additional effects BEFORE resampling: equalizer 1k 0.8q -3.0 equalizer 2k 0.8q -2.0 equalizer 4k 0.8q +0.0 equalizer 8k 0.8q +0.5
    Additional effects AFTER resampling: equalizer 63 0.8q +2.5 equalizer 125 0.8q -1.0 equalizer 250 0.8q 0.0 equalizer 500 0.8q +5.0

Note, The Effects text fields have limited space hence I had to split the equalizer in the 2 lines. Wish it allowed longer text field so that I can enter all as an AFTER effect.
    Yep, I have myself the very same problem using equalizer... I'll change that.

I preferred to reduce the number of eq points and use a larger q (I use octaves, but is quite the same):

equalizer 320 1o -5 equalizer 640 1o -4 equalizer 2560 4o -6 equalizer 10240 2o -3

Being only negative correction I don't need general gain reduction.

Seems we have completely different room (mine is dumped with bass traps in the corners, absorber at ceiling and lateral walls, heavy carpet on the floor), you enhance medium bass (500) by 5db, where I decrease by the same amount. Interesting enought you boost the hights by 5db wher I add a gentle roll off.

BTW, this is the resulting home curve.

Name:  curva.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  56.9 KB
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

Interesting Marco. I don't know how to use the q hence just guesstimated (read that it should ideally be between 0.7 and 1.0).
    Hope I have flattened the sound enough as yours - agree your carpeted room will have different correction than wooden reflection of mine.
    Gracias

Interesting Marco. I don't know how to use the q hence just guesstimated (read that it should ideally be between 0.7 and 1.0).
    Hope I have flattened the sound enough as yours - agree your carpeted room will have different correction than wooden reflection of mine.
    Gracias
    Q = Center frequency/Bandwidth.

that meaning if you have a EQ point of +3 db at 1000Hz, using Q = 1 means you get a bandwidth of 1Kz, in other words, you have 0db at 500Hz...3db at 1Khz...0db at 1500 Hz.

o (octave) is quite the same but is using octaves instead of Hz, so 1o is 0db at 500Hz...3db at 1Khz...0db at 2000 Hz.

NOTE lower Q = greater bandwidth, but lower o = smaller bandwidth, be carefull.

Thw wider the bandwidth, the smoother is the curve and lower are the phase shift problems and ringing you introduce, as a general role, over 200 Hz you better avoid peak correction (q > 0.5) but just try to smootly modify the 'trend' of your curve, that's why I use only 2 or > o in the medium hights.
    Last edited by marcoc1712; 2018-08-29 at 02:22.

For one of my devices I'm using C-3PO to transcode to 48000 pcm in all cases. It's headphones connected via USB (and alsa) to a laptop running sequeezelite (a fairly recent ralphy - v1.8.7-1083). For some reason the headphones don't like other sample rates, so the squeezelite (with -W) is set to only accept 48000:48000 and C-3PO supplies it (as below). This all works well.

Code:
    flc-pcm-*-00:00:00:00:00:90
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - rate -h -I -b 90.7 48000
    "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/flac" -dcs --totally-silent -- "/storage/music/flac/Classical/S/Strauss, R/Four Last Songs/Schwarzkopf Ackermann/1-07 - Four Last Songs No.4 Op.posth - Im Abendrot.flac" | "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/sox" -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - rate -h -I -b 90.7 48000 & |
    However, I noticed that the CPU load on my server is very high indeed. C3PO/sox takes a little over 50% of my "Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz, 4 cores" (i.e. the equivalent of 2 cores flat out) for almost the whole length of even a short track. As I said, it all works, but it does seem a little marginal.

BUT - Having written the above I thought I should check sox. I found that an update to LMS had overwritten your version of sox, so I've replaced it again with version v14.4.2, and the load seems lower, for a shorter period of time, and single-threaded, even though I have ticked the multi-thread option. Does any of that make any sense?
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    For one of my devices I'm using C-3PO to transcode to 48000 pcm in all cases. It's headphones connected via USB (and alsa) to a laptop running sequeezelite (a fairly recent ralphy - v1.8.7-1083). For some reason the headphones don't like other sample rates, so the squeezelite (with -W) is set to only accept 48000:48000 and C-3PO supplies it (as below). This all works well.

Code:
    flc-pcm-*-00:00:00:00:00:90
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - rate -h -I -b 90.7 48000
    "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/flac" -dcs --totally-silent -- "/storage/music/flac/Classical/S/Strauss, R/Four Last Songs/Schwarzkopf Ackermann/1-07 - Four Last Songs No.4 Op.posth - Im Abendrot.flac" | "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/sox" -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - rate -h -I -b 90.7 48000 & |
    However, I noticed that the CPU load on my server is very high indeed. C3PO/sox takes a little over 50% of my "Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz, 4 cores" (i.e. the equivalent of 2 cores flat out) for almost the whole length of even a short track. As I said, it all works, but it does seem a little marginal.

BUT - Having written the above I thought I should check sox. I found that an update to LMS had overwritten your version of sox, so I've replaced it again with version v14.4.2, and the load seems lower, for a shorter period of time, and single-threaded, even though I have ticked the multi-thread option. Does any of that make any sense?
    Yes, it make sense and I'm aware of a BUG with some version of SOX in setting the multithread option, maybe your is one of them, I've got an open issue for that and I'll chedt it sooner or later...

in my old dual core, the same conversion takes > 50% of CPU. You could use less CPU reducing the squezelite input buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    Yes, it make sense and I'm aware of a BUG with some version of SOX in setting the multithread option, maybe your is one of them, I've got an open issue for that and I'll chedt it sooner or later...

in my old dual core, the same conversion takes > 50% of CPU. You could use less CPU reducing the squezelite input buffer.
    Thanks.

Do you know of any way of preventing LMS updates overwriting sox in /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin..., or alternatively of telling C-3PO to run sox from elsewhere? I update LMS periodically, and it's easy to forget to re-re-re-replace sox.

Edit: I should have mentioned that the later version of sox fixes the cpu problem. It's high initially but quickly settles down.
    Last edited by PasTim; 2018-08-29 at 12:52.

Something is not quite right with C-3PO, 24 bits, pcm/wav and Squeezebox Touch acting as a digital (USB) interface to my player.

1. Without C-3PO installed, with LMS FILE TYPES only allowing flc to pcm, all my flacs play well up to 24/192000 tracks.

2. With C-3PO installed but not enabled for Touch, all is still OK. C-3PO reports the command (for a 24/192000 track) as:

Code:
    flc-pcm-*-00:04:20:22:70:65
    Command:
    [flac] -dcs --force-raw-format --endian=little --sign=signed $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$

Tokenized command:
    "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/flac" -dcs --force-raw-format --endian=little --sign=signed -- "/storage/music/flac/Classical/B/Bach, JS/Well Tempered Clavier/Book I/Butt/1-01 - The Well-Tempered Clavier Book I - Prelude and Fugue No.21 in Bâ™* BWV.866 - 1. Prelude.flac" & |
    4. Resetting the LMS FILE TYPES to standard, with C-3PO installed and activated for Touch, output wav only, with 3 byte 24 bit, I get white noise (music still there) on all tracks. This is a CD quaility one.

Code:
    Command:
    [C-3PO] -c $CLIENTID$ -p "/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/C3PO.prefs" -l "/var/log/squeezeboxserver/" -x "/usr/sbin" -i flc -o wav $START$ $END$ $RESAMPLE$ $FILE$ --nodebuglog --noinfolog

Tokenized command:
    "/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/C3PO/Bin/C-3PO" -c 00-04-20-22-70-65 -p "/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/C3PO.prefs" -l "/var/log/squeezeboxserver/" -x "/usr/sbin" -i flc -o wav "/storage/music/flac/Classical/B/Bruckner/Symphonies/7 (Nowak)/Klemperer/3-01 - Symphony No.7 in E (Nowak) - 1. Allegro moderato.flac" --nodebuglog --noinfolog & |

Trasformed by C-3PO in:
    "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/sox" -q -t flac "/storage/music/flac/Classical/B/Bruckner/Symphonies/7 (Nowak)/Klemperer/3-01 - Symphony No.7 in E (Nowak) - 1. Allegro moderato.flac" -t wav -b 24 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - gain -h
    5. With C-3PO installed and activated for Touch, wav only, 16 bit, CD quality plays OK, 24/192000 tracks get white noise (some music still there)

Code:
    Command:
    [C-3PO] -c $CLIENTID$ -p "/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/C3PO.prefs" -l "/var/log/squeezeboxserver/" -x "/usr/sbin" -i flc -o wav $START$ $END$ $RESAMPLE$ $FILE$ --nodebuglog --noinfolog

Tokenized command:
    "/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/C3PO/Bin/C-3PO" -c 00-04-20-22-70-65 -p "/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/plugin/C3PO.prefs" -l "/var/log/squeezeboxserver/" -x "/usr/sbin" -i flc -o wav "/storage/music/flac/Classical/B/Bach, JS/Well Tempered Clavier/Book I/Butt/1-01 - The Well-Tempered Clavier Book I - Prelude and Fugue No.21 in Bâ™* BWV.866 - 1. Prelude.flac" --nodebuglog --noinfolog & |

Trasformed by C-3PO in:
    "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/sox" -q -t flac "/storage/music/flac/Classical/B/Bach, JS/Well Tempered Clavier/Book I/Butt/1-01 - The Well-Tempered Clavier Book I - Prelude and Fugue No.21 in Bâ™* BWV.866 - 1. Prelude.flac" -t wav -b 16 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - gain -h
    6. So I believe that C-3PO is missing options to match different versions of 3 byte 24 bit packing. I’ve had this problem with other plugins transcoding. I think the sox options are -L, -B , -x, -N and -X, but can't say I fully understand all the combinations of input and output format.

7. Using C-3PO to output uncompressed flac works fine, so this isn't a problem for me, but it could be for others.