Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    Hi Marco, I am trying to arrange that all resampling and converting of all my flacs is done on my server, which then feeds squeezelite on a rather low power laptop (by wire) driving headphones by USB (48,000 only)

It works, except that repositioning in a track doesn't. It jumps to the next track.

I'm also a little surprised that it doesn't feed the laptop a bit quicker, but sox does seem very busy indeed on the server. I'll try reducing the quality somewhat. Does it need bigger buffers? I tried increasing the sox buffer to no effect (it doesn't 'take'). Is it worth getting the advanced sox even if not using DSD?

My current 'last command' is:
    Code:
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 8192 - gain -h rate -v -I -b 90.7 48000
    My current system is an AMD DualCore 2600 4GB Ram (2009 pc), Debian 9, SOX 140301 NOT dsd capable (I think is the one by lms, don't remember).

In that system:

a. repositioning in a track works to me

b. SOX takes up to 95% of cpu time for the time (few seconds) needed to fill the player input buffer (or decode and upsample the frst two tracks), then it pause (or die, if two tracks are completely buffered) until the player streams out.

That could delay the playback startup (currently delay is 3 secs in my system, settled in Player->Audio-> Audio Startup Time), If is too long for you (and longer than the one in settings) You could toggle SOX multithreading, increase a bit the sox buffer (to 16 o 32) (both in Advanced settings, C-3PO), decrease player buffer size (both in and out) to let SOX work a little bit more 'relaxed' but longer.

Please consider that in many place in LMS code, taking place when transcoding, 3 or even 5 secs is used as 'default' for initial delay, so I think this should be considered the lower boundary, no matter what the settings are.

That's my line:

Code:
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 8192 - gain -h rate -v -L -a -b 90.7 48000 dither -f improved-e-weighted
    You could try the latest version of C-3PO in the beta repo (http://www.marcoc1712.it/downloads/repository_beta.xml) I've changed something that (not intentionally) could be related to the first problem, please let me know.

p.s.

Are LMS running in windows? If so socket wrapper could be the origin of (both) problem(s), it's a nightmare!

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    Last edited by marcoc1712; 2018-04-03 at 10:27.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    My current system is an AMD DualCore 2600 4GB Ram (2009 pc), Debian 9, SOX 140301 NOT dsd capable (I think is the one by lms, don't remember).

In that system:

a. repositioning in a track works to me

b. SOX takes up to 95% of cpu time for the time (few seconds) needed to fill the player input buffer (or decode and upsample the frst two tracks), then it pause (or die, if two tracks are completely buffered) until the player streams out.

That could delay the playback startup (currently delay is 3 secs in my system, settled in Player->Audio-> Audio Startup Time), If is too long for you (and longer than the one in settings) You could toggle SOX multithreading, increase a bit the sox buffer (to 16 o 32) (both in Advanced settings, C-3PO), decrease player buffer size (both in and out) to let SOX work a little bit more 'relaxed' but longer.

Please consider that in many place in LMS code, taking place when transcoding, 3 or even 5 secs is used as 'default' for initial delay, so I think this should be considered the lower boundary, no matter what the settings are.

That's my line:

Code:
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 8192 - gain -h rate -v -L -a -b 90.7 48000 dither -f improved-e-weighted
    You could try the latest version of C-3PO in the beta repo (http://www.marcoc1712.it/downloads/repository_beta.xml) I've changed something that (not intentionally) could be related to the first problem, please let me know.

p.s.

Are LMS running in windows? If so socket wrapper could be the origin of (both) problem(s), it's a nightmare!

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    Thanks.

I'm running an xubuntu server and laptop. I tried the beta version (v2.02.11 - is that correct?) but repositioning still doesn't work. I'm repositioning using the LMS web page on Chrome - I don't know if that makes any difference. I'm on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1515659378 @ Thu Jan 11 09:26:58 UTC 2018. For a sanity check I turned off C3PO on the player and repositioning worked. Let me know if you have any other thoughts or things I could try.

Upgrading to the DSD sox made a big difference. On the standard one it did not accept multi-threading or buffer settings - they just got wiped each time I set them. Now it starts quickly and doesn't take long to get through 2 tracks-worth (I have a large player buffer). Good stuff.
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Thanks.

I'm running an xubuntu server and laptop. I tried the beta version (v2.02.11 - is that correct?) but repositioning still doesn't work. I'm repositioning using the LMS web page on Chrome - I don't know if that makes any difference. I'm on Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1515659378 @ Thu Jan 11 09:26:58 UTC 2018. For a sanity check I turned off C3PO on the player and repositioning worked. Let me know if you have any other thoughts or things I could try.
    That's really strange...

Supposed we are talkimg about local files playback, is "Seek" enabled in C-3PO player settings for flac? Is disabled by default becouse it could not work togheter STDIN input like Qobuz plugin and others, when transcoding.

Upgrading to the DSD sox made a big difference. On the standard one it did not accept multi-threading or buffer settings - they just got wiped each time I set them. Now it starts quickly and doesn't take long to get through 2 tracks-worth (I have a large player buffer). Good stuff.
    Probably new sox is better than older one, but the fact it does not retain settings looks like a bug in C-3PO, I'll check it.
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

That's really strange...

Supposed we are talkimg about local files playback, is "Seek" enabled in C-3PO player settings for flac? Is disabled by default becouse it could not work togheter STDIN input like Qobuz plugin and others, when transcoding.
    Thanks very much. Yes, all my files are local to the server, and are almost all flacs.

I tried your setting (as I had before), but initially it didn't work. My mistake, but maybe I should explain why.

I am a bit too literal in my reading of instructions. The 'seek' text said it was about cue-sheets. I don't even really know what those are, have never used them, and so assumed it was irrelevant to me and left it at the default setting (i.e. unticked for flacs but on for wavs). After your post I ticked it, but it still didn't work. I then read the bit about incompatibility with the stdin box (still ticked) and wondered what would happen if I unticked that. And Lo! It all works.

Sorry to have wasted some of your time.
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Thanks very much. Yes, all my files are local to the server, and are almost all flacs.

I tried your setting (as I had before), but initially it didn't work. My mistake, but maybe I should explain why.

I am a bit too literal in my reading of instructions. The 'seek' text said it was about cue-sheets. I don't even really know what those are, have never used them, and so assumed it was irrelevant to me and left it at the default setting (i.e. unticked for flacs but on for wavs). After your post I ticked it, but it still didn't work. I then read the bit about incompatibility with the stdin box (still ticked) and wondered what would happen if I unticked that. And Lo! It all works.

Sorry to have wasted some of your time.
    No waste at all, glad you found what you where after, btw, shall I ask you to suggest a better form for that help text? I know is unclear, partially is becouse how LMS works here. that is conterintuitive, but sure You could use a better english than mine to explain it!

thanks, Marco.

No waste at all, glad you found what you where after, btw, shall I ask you to suggest a better form for that help text? I know is unclear, partially is becouse how LMS works here. that is conterintuitive, but sure You could use a better english than mine to explain it!

thanks, Marco.
    It's never easy to explain things in very few words. This is why I don't use Twitter!

Does the issue I came across only apply to flac, or all codecs?

If it applies to all codecs I suggest the two pieces of help text could be something like:

Code:
    Enable seek capability ("T" and "U"), is required for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track, but is incompatible with "I" stream format, used by many online services (e.g. Qobuz). If needed, untick Enable 'stdin' (below).

Enable (input from) standard Input capability ("I"), is required by many online services (e.g. Qobuz), but is incompatible with 'seek' ("T" and "U"), necessary for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track. If needed, untick Enable seek (above).
    If it applies only to flacs, then maybe:
    Code:
    Enable seek capability is required for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track.  For flacs ("T" and "U") this is incompatible with "I" stream format, used by many online services (e.g. Qobuz), so if needed, untick Enable 'stdin' (below).

Enable (input from) standard Input capability, is required by many online services (e.g. Qobuz). For flacs ("I") this is incompatible with 'seek' ("T" and "U"), necessary for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track, so if needed, untick Enable seek (above).

It's never easy to explain things in very few words. This is why I don't use Twitter!

Does the issue I came across only apply to flac, or all codecs?

If it applies to all codecs I suggest the two pieces of help text could be something like:

Code:
    Enable seek capability ("T" and "U"), is required for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track, but is incompatible with "I" stream format, used by many online services (e.g. Qobuz). If needed, untick Enable 'stdin' (below).

Enable (input from) standard Input capability ("I"), is required by many online services (e.g. Qobuz), but is incompatible with 'seek' ("T" and "U"), necessary for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track. If needed, untick Enable seek (above).
    If it applies only to flacs, then maybe:
    Code:
    Enable seek capability is required for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track.  For flacs ("T" and "U") this is incompatible with "I" stream format, used by many online services (e.g. Qobuz), so if needed, untick Enable 'stdin' (below).

Enable (input from) standard Input capability, is required by many online services (e.g. Qobuz). For flacs ("I") this is incompatible with 'seek' ("T" and "U"), necessary for cue sheet usage and changing position within a track, so if needed, untick Enable seek (above).
    It apply to all codecs.

Thanks, Your text will be in the next release. If you think any other description could be enhanced, please don't esitate!

Thanks again, Marco.

It apply to all codecs.

Thanks, Your text will be in the next release. If you think any other description could be enhanced, please don't esitate!

Thanks again, Marco.

+1
    thank you PasTim and Marco.. helping me as well.
    Server: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 0030 on Synology DS216Play. SOX mansr ARMv7 & C-3PO.
    Players: SB Radio, RPi 3B+, 7ĺĺ Touch, pCP @Marshall Acton. Multiroom HiFi: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVM M30 @Nubert NuLine/NuVero 5.1

Could be one of these:

a. Network -> try to increase initial delay (in settings, player audio) and the squeezelite input/output buffer.
    b. CPU -> same as above but also increase a bit the sox buffer and toggle multithreading option.(in settings, advanced C-3PO).
    c. on RPI, conflict in Network/USB usage. In that case you should slow down the initial rush to fill the buffers, both increasing initial delay AND limitating squeezelite output buffer size.

As a last option, try to decrease upsampling rate.

Please try to escribe a little bit your configuration:
    Is Squeezelite running on the same machine or in a separate player? Wired? What machine/Os is running Squeezelite and what LMS (if different)?
    Sorry it took so long to respond Marco, it took a while before i had time to try your suggestions. Thank you for your help.

Interestingly enough, none of steps a - c solved the hiccup. But when i lowered the upsample rate, the problem disappeared. On playing with the settings more, i discovered that when i had 2 rates selected (352800 and 384000 -- my original setting) the hiccup occurred almost every time. But if i deselected one or the other, the problem disappeared again. So i left only 384000 selected. No hiccup. And in fact i noticed an immediate improvement in fidelity. The fidelity is quite excellent!

My configuration has squeezelite running on an RPi3 with piCorePlayer 3.5.0Audio. Squeezelite is compiled per Soundcheck's advices ( https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.de...ne-part-5.html ) using:
    export CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=cortex-a53 -mfpu=neon-fp-armv8 -fno-delayed-branch -fno-selective-scheduling2 -fno-whole-program -mfloat-abi=hard -fno-fast-math -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -DVISEXPORT -DLINKALL"

I don't care about DSD. I'm only upsampling flac to pcm at the highest rate supported by the Piano/Kali DAC hat -- 384000 (at that rate the Piano/Kali bypasses any filtering). The idea being to minimize cpu load on the RPi3 and let the LMS server do all the heavy lifting. All my settings are toward minimum phase response, both in 3-CPO and Piano/Kali.

I run LMS 7.9.1 on a seperate Windows 10 box. I replaced the LMS included flac.exe, sox.exe and faad.exe with the latest versions available at their respective websites. They are connected over WiFi 108.11n 5MHz. I turned off the RPi3's onboard WiFi and have an external WiFi dongle over the main USB port (also following soundcheck's advices in his blog) with a .5 meter extension cable to get it away from the RPi.

Is this behavior with two sample rates selected to be expected? Any suggestions?
    Marvin