Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    Last questiion first.

Squeezleite-R2 is needed only to play 'native' dsd in Linux boxes, just remember to use -W in command line with 'normal' squeezelite. While any functionality in R2 (other than DSD native playback, at moment) is included in the standard version, R2 is meant to be as lean as it could, so if you need functionalities other than 'native' PCM or DSD playback, you better use standard version.

Not sure Falcon is working with non R2 versions, please let me know about.

Dithering is not required in 'bitperfedct' playback, so 'automatic' is the same as 'no dither' in your case, but the option should work! Probably is a bug, I'll have a check on it, thanks.

Out of curiosity: what do you use C-3PO for if not converting or upsampling?

EDIT: The option "No dithering" is indeed broken, I'll fix that in the next release.

Tanks, Marco.

Thanks for the quick reply, Marco. What you said was really helpful.

Since dithering was my main concern (I turned off crossfade, so the second issue isn't one anymore for me) and the automatic setting won't do any harm as you said, I'll keep using the R2 Version. I can't think of any features I need that are missing.

If I switch to the other squeezelite version again, I'll test it with falcon and let you know about the results. I don't think that will happen anytime soon though.

Regarding your question: I have some flac files with samplerates my ODAC can't handle (88200Hz, 192000Hz), so I need sox to downsample those. That's why I'm using C-3PO. I have to say it's very convenient.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by deho View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, Marco. What you said was really helpful.

Since dithering was my main concern (I turned off crossfade, so the second issue isn't one anymore for me) and the automatic setting won't do any harm as you said, I'll keep using the R2 Version. I can't think of any features I need that are missing.

If I switch to the other squeezelite version again, I'll test it with falcon and let you know about the results. I don't think that will happen anytime soon though.

Regarding your question: I have some flac files with samplerates my ODAC can't handle (88200Hz, 192000Hz), so I need sox to downsample those. That's why I'm using C-3PO. I have to say it's very convenient.

Thanks again,

Dennis
    So the ODAC does 96000kHz but not 88200kHz ??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Sorry for the spam I Googled it for myself , the ODAC has some odd specs in samplerate support perfect for this plugin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

That's normal (and very desirable), for each track, when decoding ends and the buffer is filled up, sox process die. This could be very early with 44.1Khz material and big enougth buffers.
    i confirm that this is indeed the case. this plugin is really very elegant in execution. thanks again for writing it and providing support. meanwhile converting tidal to wav at server level (without resampling et al) provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality. i found this a little bit surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduman View Post
    i confirm that this is indeed the case. this plugin is really very elegant in execution. thanks again for writing it and providing support. meanwhile converting tidal to wav at server level (without resampling et al) provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality. i found this a little bit surprising.
    Thanks for the appreciation and glad you percived the difference, all the work behind Squeezelite-R2 and C-3PO is becouse I perceived a difference in flac being decoded by the player (Real SB too) or by the server, people was foolish me for that, but I am a stubborn one and here we are.

Enjoy!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

flc to pcm direct with sox only?

Hi Marco. Many thanks for all your work on C-3PO. It made it easy for me to play with upsampling and converting flac to pcm to my kali/piano from my windows LMS. I really like the results! However, i also enjoy tinkering...

Here is my question -- I noticed that the result command uses flac to decode then pipes to sox to upsample:
    [flac] -Fdcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 32768 --multi-threaded - gain -h rate -v -M -b 90.7 384000)

I would like to try using sox only to see if the simpler path is somehow better, (following SoundCheck and Davide's example from https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.de...hats-384k.html) something like:
    sox.exe -q -t flac $FILE$ -t wav -b 24 --buffer 32768 --multi-threaded - gain -h rate -v -I -b 90.7 384000

Since you are already very familiar with the LMS transcoding structure and you C-3PO integration, where (which file) would you recommend as the easiest place to implement?
    Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Adeff View Post
    Hi Marco. Many thanks for all your work on C-3PO. It made it easy for me to play with upsampling and converting flac to pcm to my kali/piano from my windows LMS. I really like the results! However, i also enjoy tinkering...

Here is my question -- I noticed that the result command uses flac to decode then pipes to sox to upsample:
    [flac] -Fdcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 32768 --multi-threaded - gain -h rate -v -M -b 90.7 384000)

I would like to try using sox only to see if the simpler path is somehow better, (following SoundCheck and Davide's example from https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.de...hats-384k.html) something like:
    sox.exe -q -t flac $FILE$ -t wav -b 24 --buffer 32768 --multi-threaded - gain -h rate -v -I -b 90.7 384000

Since you are already very familiar with the LMS transcoding structure and you C-3PO integration, where (which file) would you recommend as the easiest place to implement?
    Your command uses flac becouse is ready to "cut" flac files using cue sheets (note the $START$ $END$ parameters). If you don't use cue files, just disable the SEARCH option for FLAC in the function/format table, the resulting command wil use only sox as per your example.

Hope is what you are looking for.
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

Your command uses flac becouse is ready to "cut" flac files using cue sheets (note the $START$ $END$ parameters). If you don't use cue files, just disable the SEARCH option for FLAC in the function/format table, the resulting command wil use only sox as per your example.

Thanks Marco, boy that was easy!

Unfortunately I found that doing that causes an occasional hiccup in sound especially around the beginning of the flac file. If i go back to the piped arrangement, the hiccup goes away. Syslog does not show anything.
    Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Adeff View Post
    Thanks Marco, boy that was easy!

Unfortunately I found that doing that causes an occasional hiccup in sound especially around the beginning of the flac file. If i go back to the piped arrangement, the hiccup goes away. Syslog does not show anything.

Could be one of these:

a. Network -> try to increase initial delay (in settings, player audio) and the squeezelite input/output buffer.
    b. CPU -> same as above but also increase a bit the sox buffer and toggle multithreading option.(in settings, advanced C-3PO).
    c. on RPI, conflict in Network/USB usage. In that case you should slow down the initial rush to fill the buffers, both increasing initial delay AND limitating squeezelite output buffer size.

As a last option, try to decrease upsampling rate.

Please try to escribe a little bit your configuration:
    Is Squeezelite running on the same machine or in a separate player? Wired? What machine/Os is running Squeezelite and what LMS (if different)?
    Last edited by marcoc1712; 2018-03-30 at 16:48.

Hi Marco, I am trying to arrange that all resampling and converting of all my flacs is done on my server, which then feeds squeezelite on a rather low power laptop (by wire) driving headphones by USB (48,000 only)

It works, except that repositioning in a track doesn't. It jumps to the next track.

I'm also a little surprised that it doesn't feed the laptop a bit quicker, but sox does seem very busy indeed on the server. I'll try reducing the quality somewhat. Does it need bigger buffers? I tried increasing the sox buffer to no effect (it doesn't 'take'). Is it worth getting the advanced sox even if not using DSD?

My current 'last command' is:
    Code:
    [flac] -dcs --totally-silent $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t wav -b 24 --buffer 8192 - gain -h rate -v -I -b 90.7 48000
    LMS 7.9.3 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.