Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Hi badboygolf16v,

unfortunately, he uses a fairly dated kernel.
    They update with patches ... something quite incomprehensible.

If you take a look at the patch, it looks like your dac is not listed.

https://github.com/sparkysbc/Linux/c...a95bf1b5434b9c

maybe if you write in their forum they include it.

Thanks for the advice Antonello.

I have the USB PID:

USB\VID_22D9&PID_0451&REV_0610&MI_02
    USB\VID_22D9&PID_0451&MI_02

I have asked Oppo to confirm it is DSD_U32_BE Linux DSD format.

Then I'll ask Allo to patch their (ancient!) kernel.

Would you be able to help with a new kernel if that happens...? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by badboygolf16v View Post
    Hi Marco, please thank your friend Antonello for his distro, good job.

I'm now running Squeezelite-R2 as follows:

Code:
    /usr/bin/squeezelite-R2 -f /var/log/squeezelite-R2.log -C 1 -D :u32be -o hw:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 -r 384000 -b 262144:262144 -a 499:3::0 -n GentooPlayer
    I now see the following in the log:

Code:
    [20:09:09.202876] alsa_open:445 unable to open audio device requested format: DSD_U32_BE
    I'm guessing this means that the Oppo doesn't accept DSD over USB? I need to check the specs of the BDP-105D...

EDIT

I've checked with Oppo and native DSD is supported.

Looking at the source there are a number of DSD formats:

DSD_U32_LE
    DSD_U32_BE
    DSD_U16_LE
    DSD_U16_BE
    DSD_U8

u8
    u16le
    u16be
    u32le
    u32be

Maybe I should try them..? :-)

None seem to work.

Using -D for DoP showed that DSD64 and DSD128 are OK, but not DSD256, so I disabled DSD256 in C-3PO settings for Squeezelite-R2.
    I think DOP is not viable for DSD256 and over, the resulting rate is to hight for most of current dacs, good to know is working fine at 128.
    Hope you and Filippo (real name of antonellocaroli) wil found a solution and let sparky work with native dsd and your dac, please don't forget to report here the solution for future use, in case.

@Filippo, nice to see you here!
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

Quote Originally Posted by badboygolf16v View Post

Would you be able to help with a new kernel if that happens...? :-)
    of course!

if they apply to the kernel patch for your dac.
    Recompile the sources and tell you how to proceed

@Marco my pleasure

Is C-3PO working?

Hi marco,

I am using your plugin strictly to transcode flac (from tidal) to wav without any resampling or any other effects. so, c-3po generates a fairly simple sox command to do that.

I have noticed that, with the top command under picoreplayer, I sometimes see the sox daemon running and sometimes not. when I see sox running I get a slightly higher cpu utilization and that is the only difference.

so, if sox is not running, is it the case that transcoding is not taking place? I checked and the c-3po plugin is enabled at all times but sox is randomly appearing and disappearing

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduman View Post
    Hi marco,

I am using your plugin strictly to transcode flac (from tidal) to wav without any resampling or any other effects. so, c-3po generates a fairly simple sox command to do that.

I have noticed that, with the top command under picoreplayer, I sometimes see the sox daemon running and sometimes not. when I see sox running I get a slightly higher cpu utilization and that is the only difference.

so, if sox is not running, is it the case that transcoding is not taking place? I checked and the c-3po plugin is enabled at all times but sox is randomly appearing and disappearing

Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

Is sox in the C-3PO generated command line?

If so, is the normal behaviours: read from input, decode, fill the buffer and wait. Depending on the Squeezelite's buffers size you'll have longer or shorter intervals, but the decoding job is quite a simple one and is taking a very little amount of cpu. In my system I have 1GB buffer, so sox is working for few seconds at the beginning of the track, then it never raise up during playback until the start of the new one. This is like reading from RAM disk from the squeezelite point of view.
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    Hi,

Is sox in the C-3PO generated command line?

If so, is the normal behaviours: read from input, decode, fill the buffer and wait. Depending on the Squeezelite's buffers size you'll have longer or shorter intervals, but the decoding job is quite a simple one and is taking a very little amount of cpu. In my system I have 1GB buffer, so sox is working for few seconds at the beginning of the track, then it never raise up during playback until the start of the new one. This is like reading from RAM disk from the squeezelite point of view.
    yes it is. yet, when I run "ps ax" or look at "top" i sometimes do see it and sometimes i do not.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduman View Post
    yes it is. yet, when I run "ps ax" or look at "top" i sometimes do see it and sometimes i do not.
    That's normal (and very desirable), for each track, when decoding ends and the buffer is filled up, sox process die. This could be very early with 44.1Khz material and big enougth buffers.

Hi,

First of all, I gotta say that I really love LMS, squeezelite and C-3PO. I used MPD before and this is so much better on so many levels.
    A big thanks to everyone involved in the development of the software!

Unfortunately, I have two problems with squeezelite and C-3PO:

I'm using the newest version of Logitech Media Server on Debian 9, with C-3PO, Falcon (just to select autostart, the audio device and to enable MMAP... the rest is set in C-3PO), squeezelite-R2 1.8.4 and the modified sox for DSD installed.

The computer is connected to an ODAC which is able to handle 44100, 48000 and 96000 Hz. All I want is to playback everything without any resampling, dithering or any other modification (only if necessary - i have a few 88200, 176400 and 192000 Hz files).

I don't need dithering since I'm not going from 24 Bit to 16 Bit. To my understanding it is not necessary then. Am I right?

So I tried changing dithering in C-3PO from "automatic (default)" to "disabled (no dither)", but now I can't play flac files anymore. It only plays the first 2 seconds of a song (without hearing a sound) and then stops.
    Only when I change dithering back to "automatic", the flac files play fine again. I can't figure out what is wrong. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

This is the commandline I'm getting in C-3P0 (when dithering is set to "automatic")
    "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/sox" -q -t flac "/dir/song.flac" -t flac -b 24 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - gain -h

Another problem I have is, when I activate replaygain and crossfade in the audio tab of LMS, the volume is raised for a very short time during the crossfade and goes back to normal right afterwards.
    This only happens with squeezelite-R2 1.8.4 and doesn't appear when using squeezelite 1.8.7, so it seems to be a bug in the R2 version. I don't really need the DSD playback capability of squeezelite-R2.
    Are there any other advantages of the R2 version compared to 1.8.7. Which version is recommended to use in my case?

I hope someone here can help me. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by deho View Post
    Hi,

First of all, I gotta say that I really love LMS, squeezelite and C-3PO. I used MPD before and this is so much better on so many levels.
    A big thanks to everyone involved in the development of the software!

Unfortunately, I have two problems with squeezelite and C-3PO:

I'm using the newest version of Logitech Media Server on Debian 9, with C-3PO, Falcon (just to select autostart, the audio device and to enable MMAP... the rest is set in C-3PO), squeezelite-R2 1.8.4 and the modified sox for DSD installed.

The computer is connected to an ODAC which is able to handle 44100, 48000 and 96000 Hz. All I want is to playback everything without any resampling, dithering or any other modification (only if necessary - i have a few 88200, 176400 and 192000 Hz files).

I don't need dithering since I'm not going from 24 Bit to 16 Bit. To my understanding it is not necessary then. Am I right?

So I tried changing dithering in C-3PO from "automatic (default)" to "disabled (no dither)", but now I can't play flac files anymore. It only plays the first 2 seconds of a song (without hearing a sound) and then stops.
    Only when I change dithering back to "automatic", the flac files play fine again. I can't figure out what is wrong. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

This is the commandline I'm getting in C-3P0 (when dithering is set to "automatic")
    "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Bin/x86_64-linux/sox" -q -t flac "/dir/song.flac" -t flac -b 24 --buffer 65536 --multi-threaded - gain -h

Another problem I have is, when I activate replaygain and crossfade in the audio tab of LMS, the volume is raised for a very short time during the crossfade and goes back to normal right afterwards.
    This only happens with squeezelite-R2 1.8.4 and doesn't appear when using squeezelite 1.8.7, so it seems to be a bug in the R2 version. I don't really need the DSD playback capability of squeezelite-R2.
    Are there any other advantages of the R2 version compared to 1.8.7. Which version is recommended to use in my case?

I hope someone here can help me. Thanks in advance!
    Last questiion first.

Squeezleite-R2 is needed only to play 'native' dsd in Linux boxes, just remember to use -W in command line with 'normal' squeezelite. While any functionality in R2 (other than DSD native playback, at moment) is included in the standard version, R2 is meant to be as lean as it could, so if you need functionalities other than 'native' PCM or DSD playback, you better use standard version.

Not sure Falcon is working with non R2 versions, please let me know about.

Dithering is not required in 'bitperfedct' playback, so 'automatic' is the same as 'no dither' in your case, but the option should work! Probably is a bug, I'll have a check on it, thanks.

Out of curiosity: what do you use C-3PO for if not converting or upsampling?

EDIT: The option "No dithering" is indeed broken, I'll fix that in the next release.

Tanks, Marco.
    Last edited by marcoc1712; 2018-03-19 at 04:44.