Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 241
  1. #221
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    As far as I know, in SOX to apply different effects (or settings) per channel, you have to split the file, handle each channel separately then use remix to join them back in a stereo stream. It works very well, but the problem is how to do that in real time. A solution that should work is using different threads, temporary files and/or large buffers, but needs to be tested, expecially in windows inside socket wrapper. A different approach is to produce the stereo filter in wav format, then convolve it, but you need an extrenal tool to produce the wav file from the PEQ taps (REW could do that job).

    Is a very interesting matter on witch I'm working myself at moment, but I really miss the time to produce something 'solid' to be included in the plugin, sorry.

    A completely different apporach is the one used in Daphile, where the output from squeezelite is piped to BruteFir, don't know nothing about BruteFir, but sure you have tons of tools and plugins using VST or similar that could grab the output form the player and do whatever you want with it, my advise is to avoid PULSE whenever you can!

    I'm currently experimenting on that matter, if you like and have time to spend in trials, we could sure cooperate and work on this. Let me know.
    Thanks very much. I'm happy to try testing relatively simple set-ups. I've no knowledge of Daphile, BruteFir, REW or VST. I just have an LMS server (xubuntu usually headless PC), ethernet, and various devices I can play music on (2 Touches, laptop etc).

    I currently have a set of bluetooth/USB headphones where the left/right equalization can be adjusted separately in the headphones themselves (from Parrott, modified by PYOUR). This works well, but I'd like to have another solution up my sleeve, just in case. For instance using my normal analogue headphones driven by my amplifier fed either by a Touch or via UPnP from LMS, and using an equalizer on the LMS server..

    I also try to avoid PULSE, but when using my desktop and normal headphones it sort of works, most of the time....
    LMS 7.9.2 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  2. #222
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albinea (RE) Italy
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    Thanks very much. I'm happy to try testing relatively simple set-ups. I've no knowledge of Daphile, BruteFir, REW or VST. I just have an LMS server (xubuntu usually headless PC), ethernet, and various devices I can play music on (2 Touches, laptop etc).

    I currently have a set of bluetooth/USB headphones where the left/right equalization can be adjusted separately in the headphones themselves (from Parrott, modified by PYOUR). This works well, but I'd like to have another solution up my sleeve, just in case. For instance using my normal analogue headphones driven by my amplifier fed either by a Touch or via UPnP from LMS, and using an equalizer on the LMS server..

    I also try to avoid PULSE, but when using my desktop and normal headphones it sort of works, most of the time....
    Very good, as a first trial You coult try to use the alsa equalizer instead of pulse one, should be better. I'll be back to you soon with some sox command to try.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

  3. #223
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    Very good, as a first trial You coult try to use the alsa equalizer instead of pulse one, should be better. I'll be back to you soon with some sox command to try.
    My PCs are on ubuntu 18.10. alsamixer has disappeared. I found an alsa equalizer plugin (libasound2-plugin-equal) but struggled to use it with amixer. I'm not the best at command line stuff (even though that's all there was when I started in computers).

    I eventually found a gnome-alsamixer for 18.04 , which provides a useless gui, but fortunately did install the old alsamixer. So I ran alsamixer -D equal. It provides a range of frequencies, and I eventually found out how to change left/right settings (commands QWE and ZXC). Do these settings apply to all devices?.

    I'll try to experiment over a few days.
    LMS 7.9.2 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  4. #224
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    My PCs are on ubuntu 18.10. alsamixer has disappeared. I found an alsa equalizer plugin (libasound2-plugin-equal) but struggled to use it with amixer. I'm not the best at command line stuff (even though that's all there was when I started in computers).

    I eventually found a gnome-alsamixer for 18.04 , which provides a useless gui, but fortunately did install the old alsamixer. So I ran alsamixer -D equal. It provides a range of frequencies, and I eventually found out how to change left/right settings (commands QWE and ZXC). Do these settings apply to all devices?.

    I'll try to experiment over a few days.
    I have so far failed to find out how to link the alsa 'equal' (or Eq10) device to my DAC so that squeezelite uses it. I've got the equalizer set up, and I assume I now have to do something to .asoundrc to link it to my DAC, but I can't work out how to do so. Can you help?
    LMS 7.9.2 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  5. #225
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albinea (RE) Italy
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I have so far failed to find out how to link the alsa 'equal' (or Eq10) device to my DAC so that squeezelite uses it. I've got the equalizer set up, and I assume I now have to do something to .asoundrc to link it to my DAC, but I can't work out how to do so. Can you help?
    Never done this by myself, but here a tutorial for Raperry, I suppose is the same: https://www.hifiberry.com/build/docu...-using-alsaeq/
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

  6. #226
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    Never done this by myself, but here a tutorial for Raperry, I suppose is the same: https://www.hifiberry.com/build/docu...-using-alsaeq/
    Thanks. I got part-way but failed for a while to get the syntax right to drive the device I need. I finally got it working as a test, and made the alsa device available system wide in /etc/asound.conf.

    I then tried it from the localplayer (squeezelite) plugin device on my server and it resolutely failed to run, getting timeouts (I think, error -16). So I tried running squeezelite as a service. That didn't work either. Running squeezelite as a normal stand-alone user did work, so eventually I gave in and ran the squeezelite service as my normal user, and that seems to work.

    Why it won't run as squeezeboxserver, or as a service at startup for an unspecified user (presumably root) I don't know.

    Anyway, I'm up and running, so will do some tests of the equalizer.
    LMS 7.9.2 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  7. #227
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albinea (RE) Italy
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    Thanks. I got part-way but failed for a while to get the syntax right to drive the device I need. I finally got it working as a test, and made the alsa device available system wide in /etc/asound.conf.

    I then tried it from the localplayer (squeezelite) plugin device on my server and it resolutely failed to run, getting timeouts (I think, error -16). So I tried running squeezelite as a service. That didn't work either. Running squeezelite as a normal stand-alone user did work, so eventually I gave in and ran the squeezelite service as my normal user, and that seems to work.

    Why it won't run as squeezeboxserver, or as a service at startup for an unspecified user (presumably root) I don't know.

    Anyway, I'm up and running, so will do some tests of the equalizer.
    Good, abour the user I really don't know, probably is becouse the user must be in the audio or some other special and required group to work with alsa, I'll check the groups for your user and try to add it to the user squeezelite is started by. Just an idea, not really an expert on this matter.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

  8. #228
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    Good, abour the user I really don't know, probably is becouse the user must be in the audio or some other special and required group to work with alsa, I'll check the groups for your user and try to add it to the user squeezelite is started by. Just an idea, not really an expert on this matter.
    I tried checking the groups - all relevant are in the audio group.
    LMS 7.9.2 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

  9. #229
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albinea (RE) Italy
    Posts
    672
    Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I tried checking the groups - all relevant are in the audio group.
    You could have a look to the way Falcon uses to start and stop Squeezelite using init.d and conf.d files, ito works. https://github.com/marcoc1712/installFalcon and https://github.com/marcoc1712/falcon. Is made to work with squeezelite-R2, but it could run any squeezelite version.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Author of C-3PO plugin, Squeezelite-R2, Falcon Web interface - See www.marcoc1712.it

  10. #230
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoc1712 View Post
    You could have a look to the way Falcon uses to start and stop Squeezelite using init.d and conf.d files, ito works. https://github.com/marcoc1712/installFalcon and https://github.com/marcoc1712/falcon. Is made to work with squeezelite-R2, but it could run any squeezelite version.
    I've already got a systemd way to start squeezelite. The weird issue is that if I run it as an ordinary user (manually, or systemd) it runs OK. If I run it as localplayer (ie as squeezeboxserver) it times out on the alsa device every time. This did not happen without the alsa equalizer. Running as localplayer or at startup I get endless timeouts.

    Changing my systemd service to run as an ordinary user, it works, so I can bow test it. After a few brief tests it's useful. I now need to take some time to set it right for my ears and heaphones.

    Localplayer log (lots of this):
    Code:
    Failed to open controls file:/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/.alsaequal.bin.
    [10:36:33.999059] output_thread:663 waiting for device equal to return
    [10:36:38.999927] ALSA snd_pcm_hw_open:1602 open '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p' failed (-16)
    [10:36:39.000054] output_thread:663 waiting for device equal to return
    [10:36:40.165305] output_flush:424 flush output buffer
    [10:36:44.000863] ALSA snd_pcm_hw_open:1602 open '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p' failed (-16)
    Running at startup (systemd) I get lots of:
    Code:
    12:45:46.574071] output_thread:663 waiting for device equal to return
    [12:45:51.002260] process:526 strm
    [12:45:51.002430] process_strm:272 strm command t
    [12:45:51.002508] sendSTAT:187 STAT: STMt
    [12:45:51.574835] ALSA snd_pcm_hw_open:1602 open '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p' failed (-16)
    [12:45:51.574983] output_thread:663 waiting for device equal to return
    [12:45:55.003294] process:526 strm
    [12:45:55.003481] process_strm:272 strm command t
    [12:45:55.003566] sendSTAT:187 STAT: STMt
    [12:45:56.575701] ALSA snd_pcm_hw_open:1602 open '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p' failed (-16)
    [12:45:56.575851] output_thread:663 waiting for device equal to return
    [12:45:59.000763] process:526 strm
    [12:45:59.000937] process_strm:272 strm command t
    [12:45:59.001015] sendSTAT:187 STAT: STMt
    [12:46:01.576564] ALSA snd_pcm_hw_open:1602 open '/dev/snd/pcmC1D0p' failed (-16)
    LMS 7.9.2 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •