Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I try to treat the delay as a positive side-effect.
    I can start the record playing in one room and get to where I want to hear it in another room just as it starts to come out of the local speakers.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Quote Originally Posted by maddymarc View Post
    Thanks to you both. If i'm feeling adventurous I'll poke around with trying to reduce the lag.
    Ignoring sampling rate& width, the lag is mainly due to
    1. Compression/Decompression - compression needs to build up data before compression can begin. Compression/ Decompression takles time - dependent on processing power
    2. Network transmission - speed & number of hops
    3. Buffering - either in the capture device, network or the player - beware too small a player buffer - stuttering can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Ignoring sampling rate& width, the lag is mainly due to
    1. Compression/Decompression - compression needs to build up data before compression can begin. Compression/ Decompression takles time - dependent on processing power
    2. Network transmission - speed & number of hops
    3. Buffering - either in the capture device, network or the player - beware too small a player buffer - stuttering can happen.
    I don't have too many issues - the Pi with Liquidsoap / Icecast is wireless - its only the start lag. I don't get any buffering streaming FLAC but I do have a very good wifi setup.
    I'd like to be able to record the WAV output from the Behringer USB ADC at the same time but I have yet to find a Liquidsoap script that will detect sound and then start the recording.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I don't have too many issues - the Pi with Liquidsoap / Icecast is wireless - its only the start lag.
    Start lag is mainly controlled by Radio Station Buffer setting - however it is a global setting will affect all Radio stationplaying.
    I don't get any buffering streaming FLAC but I do have a very good wifi setup..
    In case of confusion by "buffering" I don't mean the message "buffering". Buffering of data happens at all steps but if it is tuned correctly, it is not noticeable. If it is badly tuned then you get either big lag between starting to play and hearing music (too much buffering) or stuttering when playing (too little buffering).

Start lag is mainly controlled by Radio Station Buffer setting - however it is a global setting will affect all Radio stationplaying.

In case of confusion by "buffering" I don't mean the message "buffering". Buffering of data happens at all steps but if it is tuned correctly, it is not noticeable. If it is badly tuned then you get either big lag between starting to play and hearing music (too much buffering) or stuttering when playing (too little buffering).
    I knew what you meant. I don't get any stuttering but I strongly suspect that it is the quality of my wifi hardware that ensures this is the case. Enterprise grade stuff not domestic "free" from ISP rubbish.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I knew what you meant. I don't get any stuttering but I strongly suspect that it is the quality of my wifi hardware that ensures this is the case. Enterprise grade stuff not domestic "free" from ISP rubbish.
    Wifi carries the data but stuttering can occur because there is no data to carry and it won't matter whether using wireless or wired - if the input process is not quick enough (e.g. 96Khz 32bit sample) or the compression process decides to make a big buffer to get best compression rate - then you'll get stuttering if the data is not ready to transmit.

Wifi carries the data but stuttering can occur because there is no data to carry and it won't matter whether using wireless or wired - if the input process is not quick enough (e.g. 96Khz 32bit sample) or the compression process decides to make a big buffer to get best compression rate - then you'll get stuttering if the data is not ready to transmit.
    96Khz 32bit is a bit of an overkill for Vinyl IMHO. I'm content with 44.1Khz at 16bit.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom