Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Matmo View Post
    Two causes I could think off. Your alsa device is indeed opened or used by another application. Then you would have to stop this one, before you try to startup liquidsoap.
    Another cause could be that your alsa device has a different name. Mine is hw1, but it could also be hw3 or hw0 in your setup.
    Thank you Matmo. I have double checked with 'arecord -l' and my alsa device is definitely hw:1. I'm trying to set this up on a fresh installation and am not aware of another application that could be using it. Having said that, last night i unplugged the capture device (UFO202) for a few minutes before rebooting and plugging back in. Liquidsoap seems to run fine now with no errors in the log file, but I haven't yet been able to tune into the stream ('...not found'). I will have another look at it when I have more time.

I found some copy-over bugs in the phono.liq script that I just fixed. Pls have a look, that might solve your problem. Always make sure that you clean your actual script from any garbage characters that might originate from the Wordpress HTML.

Quote Originally Posted by Matmo View Post
    I found some copy-over bugs in the phono.liq script that I just fixed. Pls have a look, that might solve your problem. Always make sure that you clean your actual script from any garbage characters that might originate from the Wordpress HTML.
    Finally got this working!

I had put together my own phono.liq script using yours as guidance with reference to the links posted beneath your instructions - I wanted to understand the contents and building it line by line helped with this. Consequently I avoided problems with the copy-over bugs. Still not sure exactly what the problem was but in the end I completely removed Icecast2 (purge) and reinstalled with a password which I then added to phono.liq and ... success!

Thanks for the instructions Matmo. I must confess I was very happy with my previous Darkice/Icecast mp3 setup, but this is a definite improvement

Quote Originally Posted by jmalin74 View Post
    Finally got this working!

I had put together my own phono.liq script using yours as guidance with reference to the links posted beneath your instructions - I wanted to understand the contents and building it line by line helped with this. Consequently I avoided problems with the copy-over bugs. Still not sure exactly what the problem was but in the end I completely removed Icecast2 (purge) and reinstalled with a password which I then added to phono.liq and ... success!

Thanks for the instructions Matmo. I must confess I was very happy with my previous Darkice/Icecast mp3 setup, but this is a definite improvement

Great, congrats! I also find the sound from the FLAC stream much better than the previous 320Kbit MP3. And - in my setup at least - the signal delay is still okay with around 5 sec.

I am going to have a go at building this shortly but before I do can you advise
    1) what sort of lag you get ? Is it short enough to get to the needle up quickly enough ?
    2) can you record the input to wav at the same time for later editing elsewhere?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Wow. I got liquidsoap and icecast working fairly easily!!!

Now. How to simultaneously record my vinyl to wav for later conversion to FLAC? Alsa's inbuilt arecord should work but how to issue the stop, start commands from an iPhone?

I have got the Pi connected with a UAC202 into the tape loop of my Amp. As well as a Turntable I also have a CD player and an old iPhone plugged into it. This will probably be sufficient for the very occasional time I want to play something from Google Play or Amazon Music.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

2019 Options

I'm reviving this old thread to ask about alternative options to streaming vinyl playback to LMS.

I've been using the well-thought-out method developed by Matmo for a while now and like the sound quality it offers. However, I am interested in figuring out other ways to incorporate vinyl playback into LMS that would have minimal latency. The immediacy of enjoying records on my turntable is lost in the 5-second lag, and I am less likely to choose records over the usual LMS playback.

So, what are some other options available now? Here are my ideas so far:

• Move my piCorePlayer LMS server next to the TT so I can use the wavinput plugin (this is less than ideal, as the TT pi is networked through a Powerline adapter)
    • Reconfigure the TT pi to act as an airplay device and use the AirPlayBridge plugin
    • Change the TT pi to a piCorePlayer with USB audio input (is this possible?)
    • Other options?

Thanks for any suggestions!

If mods want to move this to another thread in the linux forum, I'm cool with that.

[Update]
    WaveInput had the same amount of lag. I think I'll just stick with the status-quo for now. I'm probably at the latency limitations with the consumer-grade UCA-202.
    It really does sound pretty good.
    Last edited by maddymarc; 2019-03-17 at 12:04.

Quote Originally Posted by maddymarc View Post
    WaveInput had the same amount of lag. I think I'll just stick with the status-quo for now. I'm probably at the latency limitations with the consumer-grade UCA-202.
    It really does sound pretty good.
    Some of the lag is probably due to encoding into Flac - if you disable Flac & MP3 encoding in WebUI Setting/Advanced/FileTypes/Waveinput - then stream will be sent was WAV. You'll need a good network for this.

Waveinput lag can also be reduced a bit by reducing the "Radio Station buffer size"

edit:
    If you can get WaveInput down lag to a level you find acceptable then there is a "netcat" based solution which allow for a Pi near the TT and the LMS Pi somewhere else - but this will mean an additional network hops and so added delays.
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-03-17 at 12:24.

Quote Originally Posted by maddymarc View Post
    [*]Change the TT pi to a piCorePlayer with USB audio input (is this possible?)
    I am using a Pi (Raspbian) using Liquidsoap & Icecast and a Behringer UCA 202 into my amp's tape circuit based on this howto

https://iotsblog.wordpress.com/2016/...nyl-streaming/

There is quite a lag but it does otherwise work very well
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Thanks to you both. If i'm feeling adventurous I'll poke around with trying to reduce the lag.

I'm most likely better off sticking with what works. I attempted to change the name of the stream that's displayed in the icecast/liquidsoap setup and ran into trouble, so keeping it working is just fine for now.