Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hardware vs software volume control in a DAC

Can someone explain the difference between software and hardware volume control in a DAC in combination with PCP ?

I do understand that outputting a 16 bit source over a 24 or 32 bit DAC does give us the space to simply add an attenuation factor to the data.
    But does PCP use the 32 bits option of a simple TI5102a if the source is 16 bits?

I had been thinking of buying a TI5122 based board for hardware control, but it might not give me any improvement.
    So who does know these internals of PCP , dacs and LMS , and can explain me how it works and or link me to content that does explain this tech stuff ?
    Perhaps someone who wrote the drivers.

Thanks in advance !
    M-H
    Pi based multi-room audio system powered by PiCorePlayer(s):
    Pi3B with Phat-dac in a Rasptouch, 2 pi B+ with Cirrus Logic Audio Card, Pi Zero with Phat-beat , and a few other tests...

In reality a digital attenuation is going to be just as good if not better than analogue. PCP/LMS/squeezelite will usually attenuate in the digital stream, so it won't use the DAC s own "hardware" volume control, but LMS/squeezelite also always pads 16 bit data to 24 bit anyway, so any volume calculation is done at 24 bit so you likely won't notice...

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
    --
    Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
    Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..