Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Digital output affected by 'phones?

I've just bought a used Touch to replace a failed SB3, where the digital coaxial outputs to a Yamaha AV receiver. When I hooked up the Touch there was no sound coming from the system. In order to troubleshoot it I plugged a set of headphones in to the Touch and as soon as I did the sound started coming from my speakers (and the headphones). This seems very odd for headphones to affect a digital output.
    Is there something in the settings I've missed, or maybe a known problem I'm not aware of?

No problems the rest of the day but if there IS an explanation or a known problem I'd like to know before it's too late to return it.
    Squeezebox Touch (Classic in system #2)
    Notebook serving .3T library
    Control:
    Samsung phone or tablet + OrangeSqueeze,
    Duet remote

Hi,

thats sounds like an defect switch inside the Headphonejack...

Does it? Why would the digital output need to be cut off when using headphones?
    Control:
    Duet remote

Was it not bluegaspode that developed an headphone switcher app for the radio ? Can it be used on the Touch ? Radio was known for the opposite flaw ,not detecting headphones this app can manually switch between phones and regular outputs .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

It has not misbehaved since that initial hook-up. If by "defective" headphone switch you all mean a likely dirty contact--I'll deal with that directly instead of installing app band-aids.

Still doesn't make sense why the digital output would be cut off when headphones are in use. Why--to save a couple mA by disabling the optical and coax digital output drivers?
    Control:
    Duet remote

Quote Originally Posted by Guy48065 View Post
    It has not misbehaved since that initial hook-up. If by "defective" headphone switch you all mean a likely dirty contact--I'll deal with that directly instead of installing app band-aids.

Still doesn't make sense why the digital output would be cut off when headphones are in use. Why--to save a couple mA by disabling the optical and coax digital output drivers?
    But in your first post you described it the other way round - digital didn't come on until you plugged in headphones.
    So are you now saying that digital is on until you plug in headphones?
    LMS Version: 7.9
    TranquilPC T2-WHS-A3 - WHS 2011
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

Quote Originally Posted by Guy48065 View Post

It's to make it go silent on the other outputs when you plug in phones ? That's usually what people wants no audio in your speakers when listening to phones , all the amps I have ever had worked like this ?

Notice that Touch outputs are all active in parallel and with the normal firmware I don't think it's possible to turn off analog and digital separately just like the volume acts on both analog and digital . It simply mutes the software player that's doing the stuff .

I think bluegaspode suspect some software defect in conjunction with certain headphones , the problem was widespread . But it could ofcourse have been just a widespread quality problem . I think people did try to clean and other stuff .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by bonze View Post
    But in your first post you described it the other way round - digital didn't come on until you plugged in headphones.
    So are you now saying that digital is on until you plug in headphones?
    I may have stated that Wrong. Plugging in and then unplugging the headphones made the digital output go active.
    Control:
    Duet remote

Well ridiculous as it sounds my digital coax went silent again after working fine for 27 months.
    I had forgotten about this unresolved post but it turned up in a Search. I again plugged in some headphones to verify the song that was streaming was audible. It was, and it also was outputting to the analog jacks.

When I unplugged the analog RCA cable the signal returned at the digital out.

There's probably still no logical reason but I sure don't like how flaky the digital out is in this unit.
    Control:
    Duet remote