Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I run LMS on a pi2 model B, 25,000 tracks, and have no problems with Squeeze Control (the original app).

Highly recommended.
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

I run my LMS on an old ASRock Ion 330 mini pc (Atom, 1 GB RAM, SSD) with Lubuntu and my library contains 12.000+ FLAC files. Never encountered any speed issues with Squeeze Ctrl.
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Oh, and just to be concise: we're talking about remote control apps, not clients, right? SqueezePlayer and SBPlayer are clients that turn your Android device into a player.
    Current setup:
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

jvromans@squirrel.nl

Slightly OT: Android client

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 14:31:27 +0000
    wortgefecht <wortgefecht.78kc3b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> Oh, and just to be concise: we're talking about remote control apps, not
    > clients, right?

Yes, indeed.

> New setup:
    >
    > *RPi2 + OpenELEC + XSqueeze* > Samsung UE60H6270 > Denon AVR-770SD > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)

May I assume that squeezelite on an XBMC/KODI system uses the HDMI for
    output?

-- Johan
    http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

jvromans@squirrel.nl

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 20:23:31 +0100
    Johan Vromans <jvromans (AT) squirrel (DOT) nl> wrote:

> ... What other client would be a good replacement?

>From the reactions it seemed that Squeeze Ctrl would be a good alternative

to investigate. So I spent some time and money on it and I must agree that
    it is, indeed, time and money well spent. I am sufficiently convinced that
    Squeeze Ctrl fulfills my needs and I'm happy to keep it.

Thanks for all who shared their experiences.

-- Johan
    http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

Quote Originally Posted by jvromans@squirrel.nl View Post
    May I assume that squeezelite on an XBMC/KODI system uses the HDMI for
    output?
    In this case yes, since the Denon AVR has no HDMI in, the RPi goes into the TV via HDMI and audio is then passed through to the AVR via toslink. My other devices (laserdisc, vhs and dvd go the other way round via composite). This setup is for casual listening to radio and some music only. But XSqueeze is going to be replaced by a Chromecast Audio thanks to the Chromecast Bridge.

'Serious' listening happens in my 'music room'
    Current setup:

Quote Originally Posted by jvromans@squirrel.nl View Post
    According to the mostly serious reactions here, Squeeze Ctrl seems the best
    alternative, so I'm going to spend some time and money on that one.
    I don't think there's a "best" solution on Android right now. SqueezeCtrl and OrangeSqueeze are both good and continuously supported Apps that just happen to be quite different in concept.
    SqueezeCtrl might be a bit closer to other Squeezebox Apps or other platforms while OrangeSqueeze might be a bit more Anrdoid'y.
    Personally, I, too, find SqueezeCtrl a little more accessible and today it's usually the one I use on Android but I'm an iOS guy not an Android person so don't take my judgment too serious if you come from and Android background.

If you want to know what's best for your taste you have no choice: you'll have to buy them both.
    I know Apple's model, where you can return any App for 14 days, is better suited for long-term testing but that's how the stores work....
    The only thing that bothers me is a remark about "This app can be quite
    demanding on the server compared to other controller apps and as such may
    not work well with a server running on a NAS. Complaints in the reviews
    about slowness is likely due to having the server on a NAS. This is
    especially true if you have a large library (more than 10000 songs)".
    I'm running LMS on a Pi2 and have over 30000 songs.
    Are you sure that comment said "10k songs" not "100k songs"?
    30k tracks isn't a large library by Squeezebox standards, I've got users with well over a million tracks. I'd consider everything above 100k tracks "big".

There's one thing that's demanding about SqueezeCtrl and that is that the author kind of refuses to strictly limit the number of artwork requests running in parallel. I know this topic from iPeng development and I know some weaker NAS processors can lock up with the artwork resizing job if too many artwork requests come in in parallel because LMS is single-threaded.
    It's a compromise because running more requests in parallel does potentially speed up artwork delivery if the artwork is coming from a cache.

That said: you are not running a NAS processor, a Pi 2 is a really powerful device, much much more powerful than the ones we are talking about here. Most traditional NAS processors don't have any floating point units because they're designed for NAS uses and a NAS usually doesn't need floating point processing. It was only much later that other server jobs were added to them and that's what causes problems.
    Newer NASs often don't have that issue and multi-purpose processing devices like the Pi never had them.
    There also another aspect: new LMS versions can pre-compose the artwork at scan time if you have used an App before (the App needs to register the artwork format) so this is usually only a problem during the first few uses but that's also typically when people write reviews.

I'm afraid a huge number of Apps makes compromises to overall usability just to make on-boarding easier for new users at the cost of harming long-term usability.

tl;dr; I would not expect any performance issues.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Android remote client

Hi,

I know this is a relatively old post but I thought I would revive it. Having browsed some old posts on the topic, it strikes me that there appears to not have been much development on the front of android remote clients. I use Squeezer by Nik Clayton. I managed to find an apk from a friends phone as I don't have a Playstore account (and refuse to have one).

What frustrates me is that there is no similar app on F-droid that is free from Google. Even Squeezer seems to be transmitting a lot of analytics to Google. Is anyone aware of an app that doesn't need the Play Store?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezetux View Post
    Hi,

I know this is a relatively old post but I thought I would revive it. Having browsed some old posts on the topic, it strikes me that there appears to not have been much development on the front of android remote clients. I use Squeezer by Nik Clayton. I managed to find an apk from a friends phone as I don't have a Playstore account (and refuse to have one).

What frustrates me is that there is no similar app on F-droid that is free from Google. Even Squeezer seems to be transmitting a lot of analytics to Google. Is anyone aware of an app that doesn't need the Play Store?
    If you're running a local LMS, install the "Material" plugin, and run in a browser on your phone.

Name:  material.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  33.9 KB
    Server - LMS 7.9.2 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0-b7 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

jvromans@squirrel.nl

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 15:41:31 +0000, kidstypike wrote:

> If you're running a local LMS, install the "Material" plugin, and run in
    > a browser on your phone.

Cute.

I made a trivial Android app to make it even easier (i.e., eliminate the