Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    All my FLAC classical tracks have CONDUCTOR tag written by Mp3tag and it works fine in LMS 7.9.

Mp3tag can bulk copy any existing tag to a new one, e.g. PERFORMER > CONDUCTOR.

I guess this only works on track level. For single FLAC, the COMPOSER/CONDUCTOR tag will not be parsed by LMS 7.9.1. Finally, I turned to cue sheets. Both composer and conductor can be recognized now.
    Last edited by Phuang3; 2017-10-19 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    In case of classical it really is ( in other genres an album can be the work ), making pseudo albums with works sounds like an idea .
    Breakes compatibilty with some plugins that's looking up album info online , reviews etc .
    Makes tagging messy and ripping to ?

Best solution would be if LMS could somehove support work along side albums , so that you don't have to skew your tagging to fit the software . Just add work and composer tags .

A work menu and a composer/work menu you probably need that as many works tends to have the same name symphony no 5 by who ?

Anyone still using Erlands custom tag and custom sort plugins ? Not seen him around for ages , where di he go .

But should not some of this be in the main product we have composer/album already ?
    I spend the last days trying to set up custom menus after this guide here (with mixed results):

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...lassical_music

I, too, think that native support of a work tag would be a good and somehow obvious thing to implement. Essential here would be some some native 'recording' tag like an artist / year combination to distinguish between recordings (yes, I have different recordings from the same artist for several works).

A major part of my music collection is classical and I have been using the following tagging system for years:

In general I treat each work as an album.

Album: <Composer> - <Work> - <Main Performer> e.g. Beethoven - Symphony No 5 - Haitink
    Title: Movement, e.g. "1. Allegro con brio"
    Artist: Multiple tags e.g. "Haitink", "LSO"
    Composer: e.g. "Beethoven"

It means that I re-tag everything, but mp3tag helps and it is worth the effort.
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    In general I treat each work as an album.
    But do you tag it this way because you think it is a good idea to tag it this way or just because (right now) there's no other way?
    QLMS 7.9.2@1.09a (digimaster) / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4

I don't like the one album per work method as I prefer to keep the original album configuration.

The simplest way with the least tagging is to fill the composer tag and use the 7.9 composer menu together with a controller app that has easy to edit playlists (like iPeng). You have to select the tracks you want each time, but it's pretty quick. No custom scan or browse menus needed.

I do add a custom WORK tag and a custom browse menu, but the tagging is tedious and error prone, and you have to do a custom scan to add new things to the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverz View Post
    I don't like the one album per work method as I prefer to keep the original album configuration.

The simplest way with the least tagging is to fill the composer tag and use the 7.9 composer menu together with a controller app that has easy to edit playlists (like iPeng). You have to select the tracks you want each time, but it's pretty quick. No custom scan or browse menus needed.

I do add a custom WORK tag and a custom browse menu, but the tagging is tedious and error prone, and you have to do a custom scan to add new things to the menu.
    That's the easiest way to tag, yes. But not the best way to use afterwards. It's kind of annoying, actually, if you have a large library. My one-day experience with MultiLibrary and CustomBrowse was quite nice - but then it broke somehow.

What I would like to have is this: Composer -> Work -> Artist & Year. Quick and simple.

The composer menu is a good start. But now it's: Composer -> Trying to find the work by album name or cover. Easy if it's a Beethoven symphony, not so easy if it's a Vivaldi violin concerto. Even worse, if you're looking for a specific recording.

Of course this tagging is a bit more error prone. But it's the only way if you have a larger collection that you really want to use. And it's only one (work) or, my preference, two (work & recording) tags more.

and you have to do a custom scan to add new things to the menu.
    This is why I would love to see native support for these two tags!

The request for the GROUPING tag (id3 TIT1) goes back to 2004.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=557

SUBTITLE (id3 TIT3) would also be useful.

Like others I treat the CD(s) as a single album if it makes sense, e.g. "Piano Concertos (Kocsis/BFO/Fischer)". I put the performers in the album title as I might have different performances of that same work. If the CD(s) contain a mix of works or multiple composers/performers, I typically tag it as separate "albums" and keep all the tracks in the same folder in the same order they came off the CD(s).

Years ago I suggested a function in LMS that would duplicate the experience of listening to the original CD(s) by providing a button on the album detail page that would "Play all tracks from this CD". This [A] button could also appear when mousing over album art if "Additional Playlist Buttons" is enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverz View Post
    The request for the GROUPING tag (id3 TIT1) goes back to 2004.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=557

SUBTITLE (id3 TIT3) would also be useful.
    If even iTunes supports this for ages now, what's the holdup?

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Like others I treat the CD(s) as a single album if it makes sense, e.g. "Piano Concertos (Kocsis/BFO/Fischer)". I put the performers in the album title as I might have different performances of that same work. If the CD(s) contain a mix of works or multiple composers/performers, I typically tag it as separate "albums" and keep all the tracks in the same folder in the same order they came off the CD(s).

Years ago I suggested a function in LMS that would duplicate the experience of listening to the original CD(s) by providing a button on the album detail page that would "Play all tracks from this CD". This [A] button could also appear when mousing over album art if "Additional Playlist Buttons" is enabled.
    But that's all just workarounds for a problem that could easily be solved with these two suggested tags!