Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    100

    Raspberry Pi Zero - could this make a cheap player?

    I few days ago the 5$ Raspberry Pi Zero came out (more info here). I was wondering if this could be used to build a very compact and cheap Squeezebox player (perhaps a server even). Has anyone here looked in to this? What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Julf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Guut_Boy View Post
    I few days ago the 5$ Raspberry Pi Zero came out (more info here). I was wondering if this could be used to build a very compact and cheap Squeezebox player (perhaps a server even). Has anyone here looked in to this? What are your thoughts?
    It could be used as a player, but it lacks an ethernet connection, so you would have to use USB for network connectivity.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Guut_Boy View Post
    I few days ago the 5$ Raspberry Pi Zero came out (more info here). I was wondering if this could be used to build a very compact and cheap Squeezebox player (perhaps a server even). Has anyone here looked in to this? What are your thoughts?
    As a Server? No way got only one USB Port - the other is for the Power supply.
    As a Player? Naaa look @ the picore Thread all the Guys now want a Touch replacement - the Zero didnt got the Displayport and even the GPIO has no header fitted - (you have to solder the one that should be delivered yourself)

    Thats a nice think for ... eh i've dont know but as soon as this thing is out and on stock i will tell

    edit:
    @ Julf but who knows maybe the zero opens another market for micro usb wlan adapters
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2015-11-27 at 06:54.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    As a Server? No way got only one USB Port - the other is for the Power supply.
    As a Player? Naaa look @ the picore Thread all the Guys now want a Touch replacement - the Zero didnt got the Displayport and even the GPIO has no header fitted - (you have to solder the one that should be delivered yourself)

    Thats a nice think for ... eh i've dont know but as soon as this thing is out and on stock i will tell

    edit:
    @ Julf but who knows maybe the zero opens another market for micro usb wlan adapters
    Lots of people use As and Bs as players, so it has enough power.
    Add the gpio header, plug in a DAC and you can have the equivalent of the receiver.
    With SD card, wifi dongle, power supply and a case you would still have change out of ú50

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by IanH99 View Post
    Lots of people use As and Bs as players, so it has enough power.
    did i complain about the power? Dont think so.

    You need pieces for this new generation that AFAIK doesnt exist today - or you will end with a USB Hub.
    Time will tell.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by IanH99 View Post
    Lots of people use As and Bs as players, so it has enough power.
    Add the gpio header, plug in a DAC and you can have the equivalent of the receiver.
    With SD card, wifi dongle, power supply and a case you would still have change out of ú50
    Pimoroni have a tiny matching little dac hat for ú16 coming along: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/phat-dac. If you are sufficiently non-audiophile to consider a 3.5mm good enough, this will allow very cheap and tiny headless player - about ú30 all in. I like that the stack will only be around 15mm high, with all connectors on one side - the current pi sandwiches look a bit ugly to me, in or out of a case.

    The nuisance is the networking - micro-usb to usb adapter + wifi dongle is the sensible option, but that won't be terribly pretty.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Guut_Boy View Post
    I few days ago the 5$ Raspberry Pi Zero came out (more info here). I was wondering if this could be used to build a very compact and cheap Squeezebox player (perhaps a server even). Has anyone here looked in to this? What are your thoughts?

    One can buy a B+ for

    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produc...FVFuGwodJasEyw

    Much better

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by IanH99 View Post
    Lots of people use As and Bs as players, so it has enough power.
    Add the gpio header, plug in a DAC and you can have the equivalent of the receiver.
    With SD card, wifi dongle, power supply and a case you would still have change out of ú50
    Or you can buy a second hand receiver for ú40 and be done with it :-P

    On the other hand I was thinking about getting a Pi Zero and putting it inside my Yamaha receiver. Connected to hdmi means it could use the Yamaha's DAC.
    Could be very neat...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Clients:
    1 Controller
    4 Receivers
    Preferred App: Squeezer for speed. Squeeze Ctrl for features


    Servers:
    Ubuntu on Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 with ITX Case
    Also trialing RaspberryPi 2 with Max2Play

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    8
    You can a usb-hub-wireless dongle - usb soundcard and a powersuply for under $15,-

    You can have a fully functional player for under 30$.

    That's the same price as a Pi2. Why wouldn't you ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    211
    The Zero makes perfect sense as a player in certain configurations. Especially if the player is hooked up to an AVR, the Zero makes a lot of sense. It's tiny and cost-effective.

    Quote Originally Posted by utgg View Post
    The nuisance is the networking - micro-usb to usb adapter + wifi dongle is the sensible option, but that won't be terribly pretty.
    I don't think this is that much of a problem. Small adapters of all kind (including right-angled ones and such) are already out there. And I'm sure soon, the Raspi shops will carry even more suitable ones.

    The Zero isn't a sensible choice for a server, though. With required extras such as USB hub, adapter cables etc. you lose both the cost and size advantage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •