Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raspberry Pi Zero - could this make a cheap player?

I few days ago the 5$ Raspberry Pi Zero came out (more info here). I was wondering if this could be used to build a very compact and cheap Squeezebox player (perhaps a server even). Has anyone here looked in to this? What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Guut_Boy View Post
    I few days ago the 5$ Raspberry Pi Zero came out (more info here). I was wondering if this could be used to build a very compact and cheap Squeezebox player (perhaps a server even). Has anyone here looked in to this? What are your thoughts?
    It could be used as a player, but it lacks an ethernet connection, so you would have to use USB for network connectivity.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

As a Server? No way got only one USB Port - the other is for the Power supply.
    As a Player? Naaa look @ the picore Thread all the Guys now want a Touch replacement - the Zero didnt got the Displayport and even the GPIO has no header fitted - (you have to solder the one that should be delivered yourself)

Thats a nice think for ... eh i've dont know but as soon as this thing is out and on stock i will tell

edit:
    @ Julf but who knows maybe the zero opens another market for micro usb wlan adapters
    Last edited by DJanGo; 2015-11-27 at 06:54.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    As a Server? No way got only one USB Port - the other is for the Power supply.
    As a Player? Naaa look @ the picore Thread all the Guys now want a Touch replacement - the Zero didnt got the Displayport and even the GPIO has no header fitted - (you have to solder the one that should be delivered yourself)

Thats a nice think for ... eh i've dont know but as soon as this thing is out and on stock i will tell

edit:
    @ Julf but who knows maybe the zero opens another market for micro usb wlan adapters
    Lots of people use As and Bs as players, so it has enough power.
    Add the gpio header, plug in a DAC and you can have the equivalent of the receiver.
    With SD card, wifi dongle, power supply and a case you would still have change out of ú50

Quote Originally Posted by IanH99 View Post
    did i complain about the power? Dont think so.

You need pieces for this new generation that AFAIK doesnt exist today - or you will end with a USB Hub.
    Time will tell.

Add the gpio header, plug in a DAC and you can have the equivalent of the receiver.
    With SD card, wifi dongle, power supply and a case you would still have change out of ú50
    Pimoroni have a tiny matching little dac hat for ú16 coming along: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/phat-dac. If you are sufficiently non-audiophile to consider a 3.5mm good enough, this will allow very cheap and tiny headless player - about ú30 all in. I like that the stack will only be around 15mm high, with all connectors on one side - the current pi sandwiches look a bit ugly to me, in or out of a case.

The nuisance is the networking - micro-usb to usb adapter + wifi dongle is the sensible option, but that won't be terribly pretty.

One can buy a B+ for

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produc...FVFuGwodJasEyw

Much better

Or you can buy a second hand receiver for ú40 and be done with it :-P

On the other hand I was thinking about getting a Pi Zero and putting it inside my Yamaha receiver. Connected to hdmi means it could use the Yamaha's DAC.
    Could be very neat...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Clients:
    1 Controller
    4 Receivers
    Preferred App: Squeezer for speed. Squeeze Ctrl for features

Servers:
    Ubuntu on Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3 with ITX Case
    Also trialing RaspberryPi 2 with Max2Play

You can a usb-hub-wireless dongle - usb soundcard and a powersuply for under $15,-

You can have a fully functional player for under 30$.

That's the same price as a Pi2. Why wouldn't you ?

The Zero makes perfect sense as a player in certain configurations. Especially if the player is hooked up to an AVR, the Zero makes a lot of sense. It's tiny and cost-effective.

Quote Originally Posted by utgg View Post
    The nuisance is the networking - micro-usb to usb adapter + wifi dongle is the sensible option, but that won't be terribly pretty.
    I don't think this is that much of a problem. Small adapters of all kind (including right-angled ones and such) are already out there. And I'm sure soon, the Raspi shops will carry even more suitable ones.

The Zero isn't a sensible choice for a server, though. With required extras such as USB hub, adapter cables etc. you lose both the cost and size advantage.