Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by usc95 View Post
    Good to know about the Rocki. Honestly, I am not interested in the Chromecast as a replacement for the squeezebox hardware but rather as a way to maintain access to the music services. We are blessed to have such a talented community developing a number of alternatives for DIY and easy to use replacements for squeezebox players. I use two hacked pogoplugs and Ipeng Playback as players in addition to my hardware squeezeboxes but when mysqueezebox.com goes away I will be disappointed as I love Slacker and Pandora in addition to Triode's Spotify app that I suppose is no longer supported in his absence. That is why I am interested in the Chromecast, just to maintain access to the music services I love when mysqueezebox.com goes away.
    I only have Deezer - it works fine on squeezeboxes but is useless on the Rocki as a native app. Have to admit I'm not a great fan of the smartphone control apps for any of these devices - much prefer to use my Touch as a controller.
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

Brexit = Still ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by usc95 View Post
    I am going to get one as well. If someone could develop a plugin that would turn these Chromecasts into Squeezebox playback devices (like Ipeng playback does with airplay devices) then we would be good to continue to use LMS for playback of our local music and any other functioning music services and the Google system for everything else. I am excited for this at this pricepoint but pray it doesn't wind up on Googles trash heap when they lose interest along with the Nexus Q, Google TV etc.
    Well, Squeeze Ctrl on Android already supports Chromecast sticks--but all it does is showing a "now playing" screen on your TV. I'm pretty shure that more is possible.

I don't think, Chromecast will be abandoned that soon, the first gen was a big hit. Oh, and the new Nexus Player is an Android TV box that can act as a Squeezebox by installing SqueezePlayer.
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
    Like the fact that it comes with analogue and spdif output.
    Up until today, I didn't know that there is something called TOSLINK miniplug and that one can have RCA and that in one port.
    Current setup:
    • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
    • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
    • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Quote Originally Posted by wortgefecht View Post
    Up until today, I didn't know that there is something called TOSLINK miniplug and that one can have RCA and that in one port.
    The combo analog/digital jack has been around for several years. Had a Turtle Beach USB DAC with one and recently bought an NAD D3020 that has one. Here's a picture of a TOSLINK-to-mini adapter:

TOSLINK-to-mini cables are also available:

If Raspberry Pi had one of these it would make using it as a SB player a lot more convenient!

The best thing about chromecast audio is to cast audio from android phone / tablet. I didn't achieve to listen youtube video on my squeezebox.

I had one of those 3.5mm optical thingies on a Terratec USB soundcard. I used that with my Pi for a while... 😉

If we use that, we can use it to cast from phone or from LMS with upnp right ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    The combo analog/digital jack has been around for several years. Had a Turtle Beach USB DAC with one and recently bought an NAD D3020 that has one. Here's a picture of a TOSLINK-to-mini adapter:

TOSLINK-to-mini cables are also available:

If Raspberry Pi had one of these it would make using it as a SB player a lot more convenient!
    That's the kind of audio out that's been on Mac minis for years now. I've used that adapter on my Mac mini for digital out with success.

Personally, I'm wondering if the chromecast audio device will end up being root-able and if someone will successfully compile squeezelite for it. That might make a nice cheap SB replacement.

See: http://cord-cutters.wonderhowto.com/...ecast-0157253/

Actually, the Squeezebox does not need to be replaced at all, but the lacklustre support for streaming services is a big problem. Ickstream MIGHT be able to remedy this, but they seem to be having a hard time making significant progress, probably because their team is too small, and they are not making money out of the project.

LMS Plugins CAN work great, look at Qobuz which is pretty tip-top right now thanks to Michaels work, but most services are lagging far behind, especially if the maintainer goes missing (like Triode for Spotify) or there is no open API (Google Play Music).

I'm constantly torn, between investing more into Squeezelite based Players, and abandoning the system entirely. Chromecast Audio is nice enough I guess, but the handling will likely never be as neat as the LMS Server/Client system or the Sonos etc. systems. Also, the versatility (Pi + DAC/Digi/Amp) is pretty much unique. Only Sonos can rival it, but their prices are just insane.

Well, my Chromecast Audio should be here in about 2 weeks (Google hates everybody outside the US apparently) and then I'll take a closer look.