Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    So glad I found this thread!

I bought a second-hand Radio off fleaBay last week to add to our home's collection of Boxen, and after setting it up the bass and mid-ranged dropped out after only about two minutes listening (it was just after switching from playing BBC Radio 2 to BBC 6 Music). Was all ready to fire off the disappointed message to the seller assuming they'd sold me a duffer, but then rebooted it and it's worked fine now for the last 24 hours. I was going to wait and see, assuming that it was hardware about to fail permanently, but now I know it's likely to be this same software issue, and that there's an Applet that will provide an easy workaround, I can be confident that it's going to be fine and I can keep the unit!

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by rickwookie View Post
    So glad I found this thread!
    The alternative to rebooting, should it strike again, is to switch to another stream (or music in your library) which broadcasts at a different sample rate[1]. So, if I get the issue (usually BBC, 48,000 samples/sec), I switch to Classic FM (44,100 samples/sec, at least at present), and normal service is resumed. I have Classic FM set up as a preset on the Radio.

The current fix (Applet) has not been 100% for me, but does seem to have reduced the incidence. Another way of reducing the incidence would be to turn off the Radio's sound effects (i.e. the little beeps you get when pressing a button). I haven't tested that myself, but there's good evidence to support the suggestion.

[1] Not easy to determine. LMS does not, in general, divulge this.

Poky build

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The biggest issue is that the Ubuntu 10.4.04 ssl libraries are dated and many sites no longer allow connections with the known unsecure ssl protocols. I used the i386 iso to create the VM.
    I finally found some time for this, thank you for the encouragement to proceed, and the tips. I knew less than nothing of 'poky' the day before yesterday, now just nothing.

But I have generated an 'almost bit perfect' build of jive_alsa. Meaning that I have recreated that which is shipped in the standard firmware (7.7.3 r16676), except for four differing checksum bytes in the (unused) .gnu_debuglink section of the binary. That is of no consequence.

So I have confidence that I am using the build system sufficiently properly, and can experiment with a few possible patches.

I've used Amazon EC2 to spin up a Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04) instance, just the one core, so it takes about four hours once the sources are downloaded. I've not bothered with qemu.

I had one or two trials/tribulations/puzzles on the way, partly ssl related, partly of my own making, and with a good sprinkling of ignorance thrown in. The somewhat dated SqueezeOS build instructions were very helpful. ( http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...d_Instructions ).

I find that the sourceforge mirror sites are very inconsistent, some will accept the 'older' ssl connections, some won't, that so it can be a matter of pure luck as to whether a particular download succeeds.