Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Simply disabling AAC hasn't fixed the bass amp issue so the next step is to try your Alsa fix.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Simply disabling AAC hasn't fixed the bass amp issue so the next step is to try your Alsa fix.
    Let me know how you get on. Always helpful to know that the 'installation instructions' work for someone other than me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Let me know how you get on. Always helpful to know that the 'installation instructions' work for someone other than me.
    Everything seemed to go OK until I got to the final check where I didn't see these two lines

Jul 10 13:19:45 squeezeplay: pcm_test:855 max sample rate 48000
    Jul 10 13:19:45 squeezeplay: audio_thread_execute:882 audio_thread_execute

Did you only see the three lines you mentioned as I saw a lot of INFO lines as well?

Everything seemed to go OK until I got to the final check where I didn't see these two lines

Jul 10 13:19:45 squeezeplay: pcm_test:855 max sample rate 48000
    Jul 10 13:19:45 squeezeplay: audio_thread_execute:882 audio_thread_execute
    Thanks for the feedback.

Provided you see the line with This is a modified version of jive_alsa that mitigates against 'bass drop out', all is well. This is the line that verfies that we are, indeed, running the modified jive_alsa, which is what I seek to confirm.

Other lines may or may not appear, depending on logging level, but they are not relevant to the point at hand. I'll modify the 'instructional text' accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Provided you see the line with This is a modified version of jive_alsa that mitigates against 'bass drop out', all is well. This is the line that verfies that we are, indeed, running the modified jive_alsa, which is what I seek to confirm.

Other lines may or may not appear, depending on logging level, but they are not relevant to the point at hand. I'll modify the 'instructional text' accordingly.
    It plays music so I guess it must be working. I think I just remembered that logging level is actually set on the Radio itself.

I've come late to this thread, but also periodically experience the problem. While I used to perform a reboot of the radio to resolve it, I then found that playing a mp3 track from my music library appears to reset things just fine and dandy.

Not perfect, but much quicker than rebooting the radio, in case that's helpful.
    Server: LMS 8.1.1 on piCorePlayer 7.0.0 on Pi 4B 2GB with library on 512GB USB drive
    Listening on: 2 x Squeezebox Radios 8.0.1 , and direct from the Pi using a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface

Replacement jive_alsa: A work-around to the Bass amp problem

Having investigated the issue further over the last few months, somewhat sporadically, I have pursued an alternative approach to the problem. It appears to be effective, and has, in some form, been running on my Radios for the last five months or so without any obvious adverse effects.

This "solution" requires installation of a modified jive_alsa that eliminates the possibility of ALSA subsystem under-runs. In my experience a "Bass Amp problem" is invariably preceded by an ALSA under-run, and I believe that some of these under-runs, for unknown reasons, trigger the problem. So, eliminate the under-run and the problem goes away.
    Update December 2020: I find that the problem may still occur, so elimination of ALSA under-runs does not entirely cure the issue. But it has helped. I've had one instance in the last 10 months, flagged in the system log as follows:
    Code:
    Dec  1 01:39:31 kernel: [63310.151320] ssi1_irq SISR 120 SIER 180100 fifo_errs=1
    We've seen these before, although much less often that the ALSA under-runs that the modified jive_alsa eliminates.

So, still not 100% effective.

Update December 2020: I find that the problem may still occur, so elimination of ALSA under-runs does not entirely cure the issue. But it has helped. I've had one instance in the last 10 months, flagged in the system log as follows:
    Code:
    Dec  1 01:39:31 kernel: [63310.151320] ssi1_irq SISR 120 SIER 180100 fifo_errs=1
    We've seen these before, although much less often that the ALSA under-runs that the modified jive_alsa eliminates.

So, still not 100% effective.
    It was happening a lot for me back in July. Since installing your jive alsa I haven't seen the issue at all

Since installing your jive alsa I haven't seen the issue at all
    Be aware that the modifications to jive_alsa are present in the Community Firmware release announced yesterday.

Be aware that the modifications to jive_alsa are present in the Community Firmware release announced yesterday.
    I saw that. Have you installed it?