Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Switching piCorePlayer off

The advice about switching PiCorePlayer off seems to be that whilst it runs in RAM and is immune to power-off corruption, LMS can be corrupted by power removal, presumably if it's writing data at the time.

I've been in what I thought was the good habit of switching off via the UI and then removing power. Occasionally other members of the family have switched off the main power without doing this, thus far without any problems.

In looking at whether I should leave the power on permanently I've done some measurements of current consumption of my system. It drops by less than 2mA when turned off from the UI, so Iĺm wondering what does get turned off. I notice if I switch off like this and then go to the LMS settings they show that LMS is still running.

So I'm now wondering whether a full shutdown is required if we want to be certain that LMS doesn't get corrupted?

The Advanced mode operations panel on the piCorePlayer Main Page suggests that Shutdown is not really required and that "piCorePlayer can be turned off at the switch".

Can someone clarify?
    Ian

Library: Netgear NAS Duo
    Server: RPi3 / PiCorePlayer with LMS 8.0
    Main System: RPi2 / iQAudio DAC+ / PiCorePlayer
    Second System: RPiZero / iQAudio DAC Zero / PiCorePlayer
    PC: Squeezelite-X

pCP was only a player at the start ... and when used that way, everything is loaded into memory when it starts up and it does not write back to storage unless you do something that initiates a backup.
    So - for that sort of setup it is OK to pull the plug out without doing a "power off"/shutdown.

Once LMS came into it then things changed.
    If you run LMS on your pCPmachine then LMS requires things to persist without having to run a backup - and it could have so much data that it would not all fit in memory anyway.

So pulling out the power could cause a problem if LMS happened to be writing at the time .... and it could result in a corrupted file system.

Pressing the power button in JiveLite does little more than turn off the screen and telling LMS that this player is "off".

Using the "shutdown" menu item in JiveLite pCP extras or the pCP web interface is the safe way to do things unless you have some extra tricks like short term battery backup that will issue an orderly shutdown.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

If you listen to music all the time, just leave it powered up. Otherwise, there are plenty of ways to shutdown the system.

You can interface a button with GPIO.
    Press the shutdown button on the interface.
    Some automation can make an http call which can fire the same link that the shutdown button does.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Press the shutdown button on the interface.
    This is the thing I'm wondering about. Do you mean the PCP 'Main Page'? The off button on the player doesn't appear to stop LMS.
    Ian

Library: Netgear NAS Duo
    Server: RPi3 / PiCorePlayer with LMS 8.0
    Main System: RPi2 / iQAudio DAC+ / PiCorePlayer
    Second System: RPiZero / iQAudio DAC Zero / PiCorePlayer
    PC: Squeezelite-X

The off button on the players have never shut off the system. LMS is designed to run all the time.

If you are running jivelite, there is a shutdown in the piCorePlayer applet. Otherwise, yes, there is a shutdown on the pCP web page.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer