Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    I signed that petition about a year ago; still haven't heard anything from Panasonic I guess... I'm wondering in the DJ'ing community, what's the demand for traditional turntables like over the years?
    To be honest, I don't think the demand will be sufficient. The Technics turntable is usually not highly regarded (against better judgment) in the audiophile world. And most turntable DJ's have analog and digital alternatives with Pioneer DJ and Denon DJ.
    I only silently hope it will come back because the Technics is truly an icon. There is no other peace of equipment that had such a long lifespan. That alone deserves a statue :-)
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    I'm wondering in the DJ'ing community, what's the demand for traditional turntables like over the years? I did a friend's birthday party with the free Mixxx software a few months ago and I think it came out sounding pretty good even though it was the first time using the program.
    I still have a Numark iDJ2 (that I got because I know the people who designed it), but I very rarely use it - for the occasional DJ gig I do, it is now completely laptop-based.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    To be honest, I don't think the demand will be sufficient. The Technics turntable is usually not highly regarded (against better judgment) in the audiophile world. And most turntable DJ's have analog and digital alternatives with Pioneer DJ and Denon DJ.
    I only silently hope it will come back because the Technics is truly an icon. There is no other peace of equipment that had such a long lifespan. That alone deserves a statue :-)
    Yeah. That's my suspicion as well... Actual numbers of DJ's interested in going back to spinning physical vinyl probably isn't a big number since the transition to digital has happened already. So Panasonic isn't likely going to have the same economy of scale to build with the same quality and make good profit, hence the unlikeliness of it coming back... And if it does, the price might take quite a leap!

Likewise, I would love to see it come back. I certainly wouldn't mind getting a new 1210 black unit at a reasonable price. For the value conscious, keeping it not highly regarded among the audiophile crowd is a good thing . At least maybe keeping used prices from being astronomical!
    Last edited by Archimago; 2015-07-27 at 18:26.
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Main use is transfer to FLAC. I have two rigs to do this - one in the Living Room (the Sherwood that is to be replaced), and one in my Office (the Trio) - both feed Behringer USB DAC's and I digitise using VinylStudio.
    OK, since you're doing needle drops it certainly makes sense to have the ability to easily change cartridges to find the best match. That said, what's more important is having the ability to change stylus profiles. Assuming these are used LPs you're transferring, they will have groove degradation brought about by previous playing. Finding a stylus profile that tracks an undamaged section of groove wall can be one of the most useful starting points when digitizing vinyl. So if you are going to have a bunch of cartridges, see if you can get different stylus types in them, ie. spherical (sometimes called conical), elliptical, hyper-elliptical (sometimes called fine-line).

I am happy to stick with 16bit/44.1Khz
    16/44.1 is certainly more than adequate to capture the signal that comes off any vinyl record. (True, there is sometimes some kind of output above 20kHz, but it's nearly all noise and distortion).

but recently decided to switch from 320Kbps VBR0 Mp3 to FLAC so I am re-doing the whole process. I was about 70% through my vinyl with the Mp3 conversion.
    That bothers me. It implies that you are encoding to MP3 or FLAC in real time as you digitize the LP. This is not really a sensible option. Even if you're not interested in restoration as such, you will want to be able to do at least cursory editing of the recording, eg. trimming off unwanted lead-in/lead-out, some kind of normalisation, etc. If you're doing that from MP3 in an audio editor, you'll be going through a decode/encode process each time you load and save the file,which you really want to avoid. If it's FLAC, the decode/encode step is benign. But there may be some useful tools out there that only work on uncompressed WAV files, so it makes sense to do everything in WAV format until you're ready to do a final encoding to FLAC.

Having said all the above, 320kbps MP3 is almost always audibly transparent, so if you've already done a ton of transfers, think hard before going to all the trouble of re-doing them.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

Quote Originally Posted by cliveb View Post
    OK, since you're doing needle drops it certainly makes sense to have the ability to easily change cartridges to find the best match. That said, what's more important is having the ability to change stylus profiles. Assuming these are used LPs you're transferring, they will have groove degradation brought about by previous playing. Finding a stylus profile that tracks an undamaged section of groove wall can be one of the most useful starting points when digitizing vinyl. So if you are going to have a bunch of cartridges, see if you can get different stylus types in them, ie. spherical (sometimes called conical), elliptical, hyper-elliptical (sometimes called fine-line).

16/44.1 is certainly more than adequate to capture the signal that comes off any vinyl record. (True, there is sometimes some kind of output above 20kHz, but it's nearly all noise and distortion).

That bothers me. It implies that you are encoding to MP3 or FLAC in real time as you digitize the LP. This is not really a sensible option. Even if you're not interested in restoration as such, you will want to be able to do at least cursory editing of the recording, eg. trimming off unwanted lead-in/lead-out, some kind of normalisation, etc. If you're doing that from MP3 in an audio editor, you'll be going through a decode/encode process each time you load and save the file,which you really want to avoid. If it's FLAC, the decode/encode step is benign. But there may be some useful tools out there that only work on uncompressed WAV files, so it makes sense to do everything in WAV format until you're ready to do a final encoding to FLAC.

Having said all the above, 320kbps MP3 is almost always audibly transparent, so if you've already done a ton of transfers, think hard before going to all the trouble of re-doing them.
    VinylStudio records in WAV. From that you apply track splits and noise correction and then and only then do you create MP3 or FLAC. The pure WAV files can be retained.
    I started out years ago using SpinItAgain to create MP3 but haven't got all the background WAVs as I have changed PCs two or three times as well as moving from Phono to 3.5mm jack into sound card to USB DACs.
    I shall not be replacing good MP3s only those from the very early days that need it.
    I can hear the difference between MP3 and FLAC since Xmas when SWMBO bought me a pair of B&W P7s. They are awesome for the price!
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

FYI, to record vinyl I use my TC Electronic Konnekt interface. It came bundled with an Intro version of Ableton. And Ableton is fantastic for recording and editing.
    My konnekt is no longer in production but it has been replaced with the Impact Twin. http://www.tcelectronic.com/impact-twin/
    I can highly recommend this setup.
    Cambridge Audio 851D-S -> Focal MP1200 -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.9.0.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    I still have a Numark iDJ2 (that I got because I know the people who designed it), but I very rarely use it - for the occasional DJ gig I do, it is now completely laptop-based.
    And that is how the market seems to have gone.

The evidence I see suggests that as my generation dies off, so will vinyl. This time for real.

BTW my vinyl rig is based on a Rega TT, a number of SS & tubed legacy preamps, and a cartridge collection mostly Shure and Grado. It has been in mothballs for years - nobody seems to want transcriptions any more.

Quote Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
    The evidence I see suggests that as my generation dies off, so will vinyl. This time for real.
    But fortunately there will be the hipster 8-track/c-cassette revival (albeit short-lived, as all hipster trends are, by definition).
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    FYI, to record vinyl I use my TC Electronic Konnekt interface. It came bundled with an Intro version of Ableton. And Ableton is fantastic for recording and editing.
    My konnekt is no longer in production but it has been replaced with the Impact Twin. http://www.tcelectronic.com/impact-twin/
    I can highly recommend this setup.
    I am thinking you are a Mac person - that's a firewire interface. I am mainly PC so its USB for me. I will have a look at Abletron.

I use one of these in the Living Room hooked into the Tape Loop of my Amp - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UC...hringer+uca222

I also use one of these in my Office which as you can see has full mixing facilities (which I don't really use) and gives me the ability to switch from recording to playback with a swipe of the mix slider which is great when you get to the "split tracks" stage - http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/VMX200USB.aspx - its hooked in to my Trio KD1033B running whatever cartridge at the time and also into my dual screen work PC (so I can work, listen and digitise at the same time). The Trio really is a great deck. I wish I had another to go into the Living Room.

On the TT front. I have narrowed my choices down to an Onkyo CP1050 - functionally it fits the bill exactly but I am unsure sonically - or to forget the S tone arm detachable headshell idea and go for a Project Debut or Rega RP1. I have found ex-display SL1210's at about ú600 but that's still over budget.

Note for anyone considering an Ortofon 2M Plug & Play. Don't unless you are sure your TT will take it. It is very heavy - 27g I think - and won't work properly on either of my TTs.

If anyone in UK has a Rega Planar 3 with a nice SME tonearm for sale let me know.
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Quote Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
    And that is how the market seems to have gone.

BTW my vinyl rig is based on a Rega TT, a number of SS & tubed legacy preamps, and a cartridge collection mostly Shure and Grado. It has been in mothballs for years - nobody seems to want transcriptions any more.
    I read somewhere that vinyl sales in 2014 had increased dramatically.
    Dining Room -> SB Boom