Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BBC Radio 2 buffering issue

I know that the BBC have made changes to their radio streams, so my issue could well be related to that. All radio stations play fine on my Boom, apart from BBC Radio 2 (I haven't tried any other BBC stations so the issue could be with all of them). The station will keep dropping out causing the Boom to re-buffer.

I've tried increasing the radio station buffer but that doesn't seem to make any difference.
    The issue exists whether the boom is connected to SB server or to mysqueezebox.com
    The same Radio 2 stream works fine on my Squeezebox Radio
    The stream I am using is this one:

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediasele..._radio_two.pls

But I have tried others and they all seem to exhibit the same issue.

Is there anything else I can do before my wife throws the Boom out of the window?
    Squeezebox Boom - dining room
    Squeezebox Radio - bedroom
    Squeezeplay on a Joggler - kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by furtive View Post
    Is there anything else I can do before my wife throws the Boom out of the window?
    This is an MP3 stream which if set up "normally" the stream goes straight from BBC to Boom.

As a test try increasing the "Radio Station Buffer" to something like 30 seconds. If it helps you can reduce to find the "sweet spot". This number also affects the delay before Boom will start "playing" audio.

If using LMS - then use WebUI Settings/Advanced/Network/Radio Station Buffer Seconds
    If using mysqueezebox.com - then from mysb.com Web GUI - Select the Boom Player and then the "Network Tab" and then change "Radio Station Buffer Seconds"

Thanks, but...

I've tried increasing the radio station buffer but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks, but...

Make sure it was the "Buffer" setting - I know in the past some users have changed the "Timeout" setting by mistake.
    What value did you try ?

If it breaks down at say 30 then you have other network problems - probably wifi signal issue if using wireless.

if you are using LMS then you could try enabling Proxy streamig for the Boom using WebUI Settings/Player/Audio/MP3 Streaming method to "Proxied Streaming". this make the BBC stream go through the LMS server first before going to player - it gets around some local network issues.
    Last edited by bpa; 2015-07-01 at 06:59.

Yes, it was definitely the buffer setting I was changing. I would be surprised if It was a wifi issue. The Boom is reporting a decent signal, and I'm able to stream high bitrate MP3's to is (as well as all other radio stations)

I'll give proxy streaming a go. Thanks

Yes, it was definitely the buffer setting I was changing. I would be surprised if It was a wifi issue. The Boom is reporting a decent signal, and I'm able to stream high bitrate MP3's to is (as well as all other radio stations)
    AFAICT There is no other explanation. Possible network issues even though signal is good could be
    1. Burst of noise disrupting wifi signal temporarily
    2. Burst of activity of network prioritised by router shuts Boom out for periods.
    3. Wifi Card in Boom is failing. It is a common occurrance in the SB3/Classic/Boom for the Wifi card to fail but it does so in a gradual way. Odd though if it happens to all 3 players.

You can test by connecting boom to route using a cable and if it still fails then the problem is Boom and BBC/MP3 - in which case proxied should help as LMS is then handlign data connection to player.

Proxied streaming is a per player setting so make sure you are setting for the right player and each player.

Ok, many thanks

This is of no help, but I've been experiencing the same issues this past few weeks - it's been very frustrating listening to Chris Evans!

I've tried the official BBC stream and the stream on the UK & Ireland app - both have the same intermittent dropouts.

Just to confirm this - I have massive buffering issues only on my Boom and only listening to BBC (Radio 4 in our case). Buffer is large and it does not appear to affect our other players (it is mainly a Radio that we play BBC radio through as well). So it seems there is an issue with BBC streams and the Boom. Not sure how this is possible...

ANy thoughts on how to solve this would be great!

J
    Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
    SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
    SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
    SB Radio
    LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
    Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One

I've also had this problem - a couple of months ago it appeared to have resolved, but now it is as bad as it was before.

It happens with all BBC streams, but not any other radio streams.
    It only happens with the Boom - my Radio has no problems playing wirelessly, my Clssic is connected by ethernet.
    Reducing the bitrate of the stream or increasing the buffer has no effect.
    Restarting the Boom can stop the rebuffering for a while, which makes troubleshooting difficult.
    Debugging doesn't show any errors - the stream just pauses.
    Connecting my Boom by ethernet appeared to solve the problem, but rebuffering returned eventually - unfortunately I don't know how to turn off wireless and it's hard to tell whether the current connection is wired or wireless, so it's possible that it had switched to the wireless connection. After unplugging the cable and restarting it's now playing wirelessly without buffering (?).

Given that the problem is specific to BBC streams plaing through the Boom I think it's probably hardware related in some way and unlikely to be solved, I suggest trying restarting your Boom and seeing if that helps.

Neil