Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    What I suggest is that Archi & friends don't close their mind to trying different USB cables & maybe different USB ports.
    \

jkeny why don't you show us how this open-minded thing is done by opening your mind to objective tests and reliable subjective tests?

I changed the buffer sizes in my Touch and hear enhanced high frequencies with smaller values and reduced high frequencies with larger buffers, has anyone tried to measure this effect ? It should be possible to measure frequency differences.

Quote Originally Posted by SBGK View Post
    thing is your understanding of physics is flawed, the theories don't match reality. Unless you think that everyone who hears any differences in digital playback is hearing things. Just like the global warming theories haven't predicted the stall in global temperatures the theories of digital audio can't predict the differences people hear.
    Quite. But psychological biases can. And will.

real science would be trying to come up with theories to match the evidence rather than ridiculing the evidence.
    This is clearly a misunderstanding. You seem to confuse 'observations' with 'evidence'.
    Last edited by Gandhi; 2015-07-13 at 08:59.
    Best Regards,
    Gandhi

Not often enough well recorded and mastered CDs | dBPowerAMP with AccurateRip | FLAC | fanless ASRock Z77E-ITX Intel i5-3570T | Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 32-bit | LMS 7.8.0 | BruteFirDRC 3.0 (REWv5) | Transporter (balanced out) | Thule IA252B | Audio Physic Scorpio | no fancy cables. + Also some Booms. + Harmony 525s for them all, including waking the server from S3.

I changed the buffer sizes in my Touch and hear enhanced high frequencies with smaller values and reduced high frequencies with larger buffers, has anyone tried to measure this effect ? It should be possible to measure frequency differences.

Why don't you run your own tests?

You've said the following:

"real science would be trying to come up with theories to match the evidence rather than ridiculing the evidence."

can you back those brave words up with relevant action?
    Last edited by arnyk; 2015-07-13 at 06:46.

Quote Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
    You should know by now that those were his thorough tests.
    LMS Version: 7.9
    TranquilPC T2-WHS-A3 - WHS 2011
    2x Touch, 3x SB3

You've said the following:

"real science would be trying to come up with theories to match the evidence rather than ridiculing the evidence."

can you back those brave words up with relevant action?
    there is enough anecdotal evidence from people round the planet who have changed buffer sizes in asio, wasapi, alsa to be certain that there is an effect. If abx showed there wasn't an effect then that would be a reflection on abx testing.

When I broached the subject before on this forum the objectivists would say I was hearing things and bits are bits, but now we have accepted that usb can create an 8khz noise due to frame noise then I am theorizing that the same thing is happening when buffer sizes are changed ie a frame noise component is being tuned.

The question I had was can this be measured ? It's fairly obvious to me that frequency output differs with buffer size and now there seems to be a theory that would back that finding.

there is enough anecdotal evidence from people round the planet who have changed buffer sizes in asio, wasapi, alsa to be certain that there is an effect.
    Just like there is more than enough anecdotal evidence that unicorns exist.

The question I had was can this be measured?
    Depends on what "this" is.

It's fairly obvious to me that frequency output differs with buffer size and now there seems to be a theory that would back that finding.
    What, exactly, is your theory? Would it be possible to state it in precise terms that can be discussed?

What does "frequency output differs" mean? That the frequency response is altered? Or that there is some sort of frequency shift?

I really wish people wouldn't try to use technical terms if they don't understand them.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Exactly. The recent spate of posts from jkeny appear to be just a trolling expedition.
    The legendary troll is looking back at you in the mirror.

Your constant claim that genuine audiophiles are anti-science is typical, meaningless rhetoric. This ploy isn't new. You may have invented though.

It makes more sense to you that any number of thousands of audiophiles from Japan, Germany, France, UK, Canada, US, etc are brainwashed than the far more obvious conclusion which is that you aren't interested in understanding why the gear which I would likely buy reproduces recorded music so much better than mass produced stuff in you would buy. Nah! It's all the most epic business scam of all-time. Science.
    Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
    __Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for speaker & sweet spot position
    __Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series power cords and power conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by bonze View Post
    You should know by now that those were his thorough tests.
    Ridicule is where it's at. Lord forbid Arny escape from Detroit for a few days and listen to some actual household audiophile systems. Nah.
    Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
    __Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for speaker & sweet spot position
    __Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series power cords and power conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
    It makes more sense to you that any number of thousands of audiophiles from Japan, Germany, France, UK, Canada, US, etc are brainwashed than the far more obvious conclusion which is that you aren't interested in understanding why the gear which I would likely buy reproduces recorded music so much better than mass produced stuff in you would buy. Nah! It's all the most epic business scam of all-time. Science.
    Thousands of audiophiles are outnumbered by millions of engineers.

Wouldn't selling transparent stuff for a reasonable price be a very strange scam?
    Best Regards,
    Gandhi

Not often enough well recorded and mastered CDs | dBPowerAMP with AccurateRip | FLAC | fanless ASRock Z77E-ITX Intel i5-3570T | Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 32-bit | LMS 7.8.0 | BruteFirDRC 3.0 (REWv5) | Transporter (balanced out) | Thule IA252B | Audio Physic Scorpio | no fancy cables. + Also some Booms. + Harmony 525s for them all, including waking the server from S3.