Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Like I said the pleasure is fading since t is getting to be too much like shooting fish in a barrel.
    Seriously, I feel sorry for you and others such as yourself. Your internet persona is destructive. Kill it off and just calm down and try to engage in a civil discussion. You don't know everything. Accept that this is a GOOD thing. Is there anything better than exercising one's curiosity!?
    Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
    __Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for speaker & sweet spot position
    __Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series power cords and power conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Seriously? Close the forum because you donĺt like it?
    I don't think "don't like it" really describes it - it is more like the fundamentalist religious viewpoint of "there are rational arguments presented here that offend me because they put my belief system in a bad light, so I demand they be banned!".
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

+1 to keep it, if only to keep the more volatile discussions here, and out of the rest of the Slim forums. I personally also find this forum entertaining, and closing it would smack of censorship/discrimination.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
    Seriously, I feel sorry for you and others such as yourself. Your internet persona is destructive. Kill it off and just calm down and try to engage in a civil discussion. You don't know everything. Accept that this is a GOOD thing. Is there anything better than exercising one's curiosity!?
    Unfortunately posting on an internet forum leaves little room for sarcasm and other ways of conveying that many of one's comments should be taken lightly.

Now I don't claim to know everything but I do claim understand quite a few things about audio, science and the science of audio. I also understand that there are many things that others do not understand about audio, science and the science of audio and that this lack of understanding is all too often used to propagate ideas and beliefs that are simply untrue. Just because paid reviewers with agenda to adhere to, i.e. to keep the advertisers happy, claim that $500 USB cables sound better than $20 USB cables doesn't make it so. But it is part of human nature that the more one repeats something, whether it be truth or falsehood, the more likely it is for people to believe it. This principle has been used over and over again in high end audio with great results and lots of high profit margins. Power cords can not and do not effect the sound of a component. Why? Because doing so would violate many of the physical LAWS of electricity and as I keep repeating over and over these LAWS cannot be broken, a least within the world and dimension that we live in.

By the way, for a clear example of the principle that repeating a lie can make it true please answer this question off the op of head without looking it up: How do fire sprinkler systems in buildings work? You know those little devices located in the ceiling that spray water on fire. Your answer, if it is the one I expect, will go long in proving my point.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    I find the recent posts & threads that have been started are mostly from a group of people who are only interested in displaying their self-deluded scientific superiority by putting down anybody who posts sonic impressions.
    Really?

In order to have a rational, fact-based discussion about this topic, would it be possible for you to point out which threads you are referring to, and what percentage of threads started in, let's say, the last 3 months, that represents?
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Sadly, it should be closed. No moderation and even adults behave as teens. I do hope that there aren't any other hobbies where people carry on with such hate and disrespect.
    If this forum should be closed because "adults behave as teens" and "where people carry on with such hate and disrespect", I suspect there would be few audiophile forums in existence!

Lets face it, few hobbies have as many contentious issues that are so fundamental to the hobby itself. How many hobbies are there where the fundamental belief of whether a passive piece of copper (cable) have strong backers on both sides of the argument!? This is why that article by Perlman Golden Ears And Meter Readers: The Contest for Epistemic Authority in Audiophilia (2004) mentioned in my blog post this week is so fascinating!

It gets right to the heart of this hobby and the numerous battlegrounds. Is it any wonder that a non-specific subforum like "Audiophiles" will gravitate towards these contentious issues?

I personally find it enjoyable thinking and participating in the debate; it's stimulating thinking about what we believe, who we are, why we think the things we do. Much of it is philosophical and "Theory of Knowledge" type stuff so it's not up everyone's alley, nor should it be. Nobody is forced to read the threads or participate, but like others have said, this forum provides a place where folks can vent, discuss, and explore "audiophile" topics which would otherwise pollute the more focused discussions elsewhere on the site. Likewise, there are more "friendly" places like the AudioCircle for people to talk about their favourite piece of gear or other manufacturer forums if it's recommendations of hardware to try...

BTW: All things considered, I think the personalities found here aren't as extreme as many other places! Despite no moderation and banning, we actually keep it together rather well.
    Last edited by Archimago; 2015-06-22 at 11:26.
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    That's exactly how I feel.

These people should go post in the Hydrogen Audio forums. Where everyone knows everything sounds the same.

This forum should have been closed a long time ago.
    Surely for every Hydrogen Audio, there are more AudioAsylum-like forums to hang out at... So long as folks find it interesting and enjoy the chat, what's it matter to you whether the place exists?

Who here believes and "know everything sounds the same"?
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Lets face it, few hobbies have as many contentious issues that are so fundamental to the hobby itself. How many hobbies are there where the fundamental belief of whether a passive piece of copper (cable) have strong backers on both sides of the argument!?
    You are a grown man who is apparently so determined to be "right" that you rely nearly exclusively on logical fallacy. Copper isn't just copper. First of all, there is the purity. Second, the gauge. More importantly, however, is that no one is debating the sound of strands of copper. Speaker cable designs have unique geometries and they certainly have unique dielectrics. So, no informed audiophile is on the other side of this argument. If all copper based speaker cables sound the same in a given audio system irrespective of any variations in design, then the problem is with the system components or set-up. Finally, non-audiophiles who dismiss speaker cables as all delivering the same fidelity are also implying that all silver and copper designs will deliver the same result.

I would not expect a non-hobbyist to care about these things. Radio Shack zip cord, hit play, hear sound. Done.

It would be nice if this forum could be transformed into something productive.
    Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
    __Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for speaker & sweet spot position
    __Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series power cords and power conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Surely for every Hydrogen Audio, there are more AudioAsylum-like forums to hang out at... So long as folks find it interesting and enjoy the chat, what's it matter to you whether the place exists?

Who here believes and "know everything sounds the same"?
    Name:  Corbis-42-26457712.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  76.0 KB
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

You are a grown man who is apparently so determined to be "right" that you rely nearly exclusively on logical fallacy.
    huh? Archimago does extensive, careful tests, with well documented procedures, available at his blog for the world to see (and further evaluate). We need a lot more people like Archimago in the audio hobby.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify