Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
    Let us know when you ever become an internet legend. Arnie's work since the dawn of the Usenet and the web will be noted for decades and decades after we are all long forgotten.
    Note: there is a big difference between being famous and being infamous
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Let us know when you ever become an internet legend.
    Don't hold your breath..........
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: SGC microJukebox/Squeezelite> ultraRendu > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > LFD NCSE II amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.2 - 0.8.20181005git1538738519 on a 1TB microJukebox Vortexbox Appliance, SonicOrbiter V 2.7.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Note: there is a big difference between being famous and being infamous
    I would have to say that Arny has, remarkably, achieved both!
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: SGC microJukebox/Squeezelite> ultraRendu > USB>RME ADI-2 DAC > LFD NCSE II amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers, 2X REL R-305 subs.

Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.2 - 0.8.20181005git1538738519 on a 1TB microJukebox Vortexbox Appliance, SonicOrbiter V 2.7.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    But if I in a car forum claimed that my Corvette had 9 billion horsepowers , I would probably be called upon that BS .

In audio forums we are suposed to accept claims that are even more unreasonable ?
    It is more like fastening the gas pedal with silver screws and claiming the car got faster. It measures the same speed afterwards but the measurement must be wrong because everyone can feel it...
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    It is more like fastening the gas pedal with silver screws and claiming the car got faster. It measures the same speed afterwards but the measurement must be wrong because everyone can feel it...
    Well, at least you respect those whose experiences differ from yours. Clearly.
    Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
    __Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for speaker & sweet spot position
    __Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series power cords and power conditioning

Did you test the UpTone Audio USB Regen Amber? Swenson link <---
    Thanks for the note JH. No, I have not tested the UpTone but I have demonstrated a way to reduce the packet noise in my system using the Corning Optical USB Cable. And then later evaluating various USB hubs showing some differences.

Like I said previously, I can read what Swenson says and I guess he's admitting that he cannot remove all the 8kHz noise. But as consumers we have no way of knowing how much this UpTone Regen thing suppresses the noise! He uses lots of words to explain the technical stuff but no data to demonstrate efficacy! This is an example of the silliness in audiophilia. Is it any better than a standard USB hub? If so how much better?

Unless there's a more concrete demonstration of benefit (remember, we're looking at an essentially constant 8kHz noise that can be measured and shown to be reduced if Regen works), I'm happy to borrow a unit to test. But I'm just not going to spend money shipping it to Canada if there's no evidence at this point that it does anything better than what I've accomplished for cheaper.
    Last edited by Archimago; 2015-07-08 at 17:27.
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Thanks for the note JH. No, I have not tested the UpTone but I have demonstrated a way to reduce the packet noise in my system using the Corning Optical USB Cable. And then later evaluating various USB hubs showing some differences.

Like I said previously, I can read what Swenson says and I guess he's admitting that he cannot remove all the 8kHz noise. But as consumers we have no way of knowing how much this UpTone Regen thing suppresses the noise! He uses lots of words to explain the technical stuff but no data to demonstrate efficacy! This is an example of the silliness in audiophilia. Is it any better than a standard USB hub? If so how much better?

Unless there's a more concrete demonstration of benefit (remember, we're looking at an essentially constant 8kHz noise that can be measured and shown to be reduced if Regen works), I'm happy to borrow a unit to test. But I'm just not going to spend money shipping it to Canada if there's no evidence at this point that it does anything better than what I've accomplished for cheaper.
    Absolute bullshit that I already corrected you & Arny before. You either purposely misrepresent what noise the Regen is addressing in the USB signal or you just can't comprehend the technical aspects of it. Whichever is the case, your continued pushing of this 8KHz noise as the target of the Regen is disingenuous - go & learn what the Regen is about before making these statements which just make you look silly or devious - considering I already corrected you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    Absolute bullshit that I already corrected you & Arny before. You either purposely misrepresent what noise the Regen is addressing in the USB signal or you just can't comprehend the technical aspects of it. Whichever is the case, your continued pushing of this 8KHz noise as the target of the Regen is disingenuous - go & learn what the Regen is about before making these statements which just make you look silly or devious - considering I already corrected you on it.
    Yeah... OK. Please educate us and show us what it's about.

Certainly in my testing, that damn 8kHz is the most disturbing with the USB setup. As per the link from jh901 direct from John Swenson:
    "This noise shows up on both power and ground planes. Since the rate of packets is 8KHz there are strong components of this noise in the audio band."

Show me evidence that the Regen reduces this "strong" noise component and I'll happily take notice. (And if it can't deal with this "strong" noise in the audio band, then what substantial benefit does it bring?)
    Last edited by Archimago; 2015-07-08 at 20:03.
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    But I'm just not going to spend money shipping it to Canada if there's no evidence at this point that it does anything better than what I've accomplished for cheaper.
    Fair enough. You put a ton of time into your testing.

These various "noise concerns" surrounding computer audio are being addressed. There will be overkill and crazy prices, etc. There will be products which don't do much. The competition is becoming serious. It's not a question any longer whether computers and hi-end audio mix. The folks who innovate the best are going to earn sales.
    Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
    __Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for speaker & sweet spot position
    __Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series power cords and power conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
    Absolute bullshit that I already corrected you & Arny before.
    Corrected?

Based on what, some egregiously flawed pseudo technical speculations and horribly flawed listening evaluations?

You either purposely misrepresent what noise the Regen is addressing in the USB signal or you just can't comprehend the technical aspects of it.
    Not at all what is happening. I simply asked for some reliable, coherent evidence. You've never provided a bit of it that I know of.

Whichever is the case, your continued pushing of this 8KHz noise as the target of the Regen is disingenuous - go & learn what the Regen is about before making these statements which just make you look silly or devious - considering I already corrected you on it.
    jkenny, you haven't corrected anything. The most important thing for you to correct would be your means of listening evaluation which you completely and utterly refuse to do.