Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 210 of 211 FirstFirst ... 110160200208209210211 LastLast
Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2109
    Quote Originally Posted by FatPete View Post
    Ah, if everything is working as expected then I'll keep quiet now!

For reasons unknown, when I first started using your uPnPBridge back in April 2016, any flac file 24/96 and upwards refused to play on my Sonos - each track was immediately skipped. For whatever reason, LMS wasn't downsamping anything above 48kHz, but I searched around the forum and found something about using custom-convert.conf to force the downsampling. My original post is here (referencing my original problem in the first half of the post):

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post850551

I only had a single Sonos Play:5 at the time, so unsure if it was player-specific.

I think I was using LMS 7.7.x back then, so maybe something was changed between 7.7.x and 7.9.x that made LMS downsample correctly? As far as I recall, I always had uPnPBridge configured to report 48000 as the max sample rate. I'd continued to use the custom-convert.conf file in the intervening years because I assumed it was necessary for the downsampling but it all works as expected now!

Anyway, no problems nowadays! A big thank you again for all your hard work on these plugins over the years - it's worked wonderfully for my Sonos system.
    I believe that some of the entries towards the end of convert.conf were added after 7.7.x, including the flac transcode entry. This could, of course, be an 'alternative fact'
    LMS 7.9.2 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touchs & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    I believe that some of the entries towards the end of convert.conf were added after 7.7.x, including the flac transcode entry. This could, of course, be an 'alternative fact'
    A-ha! Your comment has made me revisit convert.conf and I've finally remembered the real reason I needed custom-convert.conf a few years ago. I had to re-read my original posts and Philippe's comments from 2016 but it's finally clicked again.

So it turns out that LMS was always successfully downsampling a 24/96 or 24/192 file to 48000Hz, but the problem was that the resultant flac file was still 24 bit.

If you read Philippe's response to my question a few years back - https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post849692 - he said that his plugin could only truncate 24->16 bits on WAV/AIF/PCM, but not FLAC. Due to my downsampled LMS file still being FLAC, the plugin wasn't truncating this to 16 bit and Sonos wouldn't play it.

So the only reason I had to use custom-convert.conf was to convert the 24 bit flac to 16 bit, as uPnPBridge couldn't do it on FLAC files.

Here's the default LMS setting:

Code:
    flc flc transcode *
    	# FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}D:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}
    	[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    And here's the custom-convert setting I used to have (note the -b 16 flag to truncate to 16 bit):

Code:
    flc flc * bb:bb:40:ac:0d:2f
    	[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -b 16 $RESAMPLE$ -
    Final question now for Philippe... does this mean that uPnPBridge is now able to truncate flac files to 16 bit? If so, that explains why I needed to do it myself back in 2016, but not now.

EDIT: Turns out that my results were due to Sonos now being able to play 24/48 flac files natively!
    Last edited by FatPete; 2018-08-28 at 16:06. Reason: Clarification about Sonos 24/48 support

A-ha! Your comment has made me revisit convert.conf and I've finally remembered the real reason I needed custom-convert.conf a few years ago. I had to re-read my original posts and Philippe's comments from 2016 but it's finally clicked again.

So it turns out that LMS was always successfully downsampling a 24/96 or 24/192 file to 48000Hz, but the problem was that the resultant flac file was still 24 bit.

If you read Philippe's response to my question a few years back - https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post849692 - he said that his plugin could only truncate 24->16 bits on WAV/AIF/PCM, but not FLAC. Due to my downsampled LMS file still being FLAC, the plugin wasn't truncating this to 16 bit and Sonos wouldn't play it.

So the only reason I had to use custom-convert.conf was to convert the 24 bit flac to 16 bit, as uPnPBridge couldn't do it on FLAC files.

Here's the default LMS setting:

Code:
    flc flc transcode *
    	[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ -
    And here's the custom-convert setting I used to have (note the -b 16 flag to truncate to 16 bit):

Code:
    flc flc * bb:bb:40:ac:0d:2f
    	[flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0 -b 16 $RESAMPLE$ -
    Final question now for Philippe... does this mean that uPnPBridge is now able to truncate flac files to 16 bit? If so, that explains why I needed to do it myself back in 2016, but not now.
    Yes it does, as long as you do not use "thru" mode, you can set sample size to a fixed value (8, 16, 24) and it will resize everything. Then it will either leave it in pcm or re-encode to flac or mp3
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Yes it does, as long as you do not use "thru" mode, you can set sample size to a fixed value (8, 16, 24) and it will resize everything. Then it will either leave it in pcm or re-encode to flac or mp3
    That's the weird thing though - I am using thru mode and Sonos can still play the file, which theoretically is now 24/48. I'm off to bed now, but tomorrow I'll try to do some more testing, including trying to play an untouched 24/48 flac file directly on my Sonos... who knows, maybe they've quietly enabled 24/48 flac playback! I was pleasantly surprised the other year when you mentioned Sonos could actually play 24/48 WAV.

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned! Just played two different 24/48 FLAC files directly on both a Sonos Playbase and Sonos One. When did they sneak that one in?! I can confirm that 24/96 and 24/192 still display the 'Unsupported Sample Rate' message though.

So I've gone down a lot of wrong paths troubleshooting this one - sorry Philippe! Turns out everything "just worked" because Sonos can apparently now natively play 24/48 FLAC files. That'll teach me to make lots of assumptions that nothing had changed in my setup except for updating the bridge software...sorry!

I've added a message to all my previous posts on this subject so that people are aware that I've been spouting gibberish the whole time and to ignore my ramblings
    Last edited by FatPete; 2018-08-28 at 16:13.

So I've gone down a lot of wrong paths troubleshooting this one - sorry Philippe! Turns out everything "just worked" because Sonos can apparently now natively play 24/48 FLAC files. That'll teach me to make lots of assumptions that nothing had changed in my setup except for updating the bridge software...sorry!

I've added a message to all my previous posts on this subject so that people are aware that I've been spouting gibberish the whole time and to ignore my ramblings
    No worries Sonos could have supported 24 bits a long time ago in a sense that they likely just integrate the reference flac decoder and so they could have just truncated results to 16 bits (like they probably do for wav), which really requires no effort
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Hi there. I have pCP set up on a Pi and LMS is working well on that. I installed this plugin, and it seems to be working. From the LMS web interface, I'm able to see my UPnP receiver (Marantz), and am able to control it from the web interface. But...

I cannot do the other way around. That is, my Marantz searches for UPnP servers when I navigate on the receiver to "Media Servers", but it does not find any. How can it be that I can control UPnP/DLNA devices with this plugin, but they can't actually access the server directly? Is there another configuration option I need to check, or some firewall setting maybe?

Similarly, I was hoping to access it via my computers via JRiver MC via UPnP, but that's not seeing any servers either.

I used to use MiniDLNA via my router for this, and that worked well. Am I missing something obvious here?

Many thanks!

UPnPBridge plugin is to control remote UPnP players - however, it does not act as a UPnP media server.
    That is the job of a different (built-in) plugin - UPnP/DLNA Media Interface (author Andy Grundman - Slimdevices/Logitech at the time).
    Is that one enabled?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply! Enabling the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface did the trick!

I'm wondering- is there a similar thing for iTunes? Would love to be able to access LMS via iTunes.

generation the configuration file

Hello,
    I have problems like Tannis with the generation of the configuration file when I generate.
    The only thing that has changed at home is that I use a Huawei 4g box.
    I am on a RaspBerry pi 3 with PiCorePlayer.
    Do you have a solution for me?
    If you want the logs, can you tell me what options you want me to check like Log?
    thank you in advance
    Boxfirm

Quote Originally Posted by Boxfirm View Post
    Hello,
    I have problems like Tannis with the generation of the configuration file when I generate.
    The only thing that has changed at home is that I use a Huawei 4g box.
    I am on a RaspBerry pi 3 with PiCorePlayer.
    Do you have a solution for me?
    If you want the logs, can you tell me what options you want me to check like Log?
    thank you in advance
    Boxfirm
    Just the default logs