Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Android app fails after 5.1 update

The Logitech Squeezebox Controller app breaks after installing the Lollipop 5.1 update. Unusable. Who can we contact/get to update the app? Please?

Get one of the 3rd party Apps. They are better anyway and Logitech is probably not going to update their App anymore.
    Plenty of info on the various 3rd party apps on this forum, most People use Squeezer, OrangeSqueeze, SqueezeControl or SqueezeCommander
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Yeah, I'd doubt as well that Logitech will update their app. (This just to confirm as pippin has a financial interest in squeezebox control apps.)

The for-pay apps I've checked (Orange Squeeze, Squeeze Ctrl) are of high quality. For me, they were worth a few €€€ each.

If you don't want to pay anything, there's the free and open source Squeezer app on Android. As usual, it may be more difficult to find a free alternative on iOS.

I do sell iPeng on iOS, yes, but I have no financial interest in any Android App.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

I don't know that Logitech won't update their Android app (the original non-UE version). They have no reason to given their emphasis on the UE platform, other than goodwill. We shall see what they do with the [responses to the] non-functional app in Google Play.

Meanwhile... I've purchased Squeeze Ctrl. It appears to be the best of the 3rd-party lot at preserving the SQBRadio layout & functionality of the original Logitech app. I've purchased a Mercedes when I only needed a Fiat, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSqueeze View Post
    I don't know that Logitech won't update their Android app (the original non-UE version). They have no reason to given their emphasis on the UE platform, other than goodwill. We shall see what they do with the [responses to the] non-functional app in Google Play.

Meanwhile... I've purchased Squeeze Ctrl. It appears to be the best of the 3rd-party lot at preserving the SQBRadio layout & functionality of the original Logitech app. I've purchased a Mercedes when I only needed a Fiat, so be it.
    I've problems with the Android apps on Lollipop (5.0.2) too.
    Very slow connection on the original Squeezebox app; Squeezer and Squeeze Commander. Has Squeeze Ctrl no issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomen Nescio View Post
    Has Squeeze Ctrl no issues?
    Not sure (I only use it on a device with an older Android version). What I can say is that Orange Squeeze runs smoothly on both Android 5.0.x as well as 5.1.0 (tested on a Nexus 7 2013, among other Nexus devices).

Everything is extremely slow on my Nexus 7 since the 5.x update, I don't think that's somehow related to the Squeezebox Apps, all other Apps are affected, too, looks like it was a bad idea to roll out that OS update for the older Nexus 7 models at all, they don't seem to be up to the job and that affects some other hardware too.

The issue the Logitech App has is probably specific. It's a Web App and Google changed the Android Web View from Webkit to Chromium in 5.0, that's probably what broke the App.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSqueeze View Post
    I wanted to second the recommendation for Squeeze Ctrl. It seems to be a worthy replacement for the now defunct Logitech app.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Everything is extremely slow on my Nexus 7 since the 5.x update, I don't think that's somehow related to the Squeezebox Apps, all other Apps are affected, too, looks like it was a bad idea to roll out that OS update for the older Nexus 7 models at all, they don't seem to be up to the job and that affects some other hardware too.
    I had the same problem Upgraded my older nexus 7 to Android 5.0 and it was just about useless.

Here's what made it usable again for me:
    1) uninstall/remove all apps that you don't actually need or use on your nexus 7 - except for the ones that come with the OS
    2) Upgrade to 5.1