Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Start playing after power up option

I've been wondering if there is any possibility to set the radio to play after the power-up process.

I hate to wait for the radio to power up (radio runs on battery) to press play.
    Instead I'd like to press play when the radio is shut down to fire it up directly in play mode.
    Or having an option to play after powering up.

Any ideas are welcome ;-)
    System: Debian, Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2
    Player: Squeezebox v3 @ Bose LifeStyle Series III, Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Boom

From a soft power up ( from standby ) where you have the clock going ( or whatever standby screen saver you have ) .

You simply press the play button directly instead of power . And off it goes

From the " real off " state after a real power off or when it timed out on battery . The player can't initiate that because it's not running at all in that state .

Maybe delve into some scripting on the server to recon if the player have contacted the server and make it initiate a play command ?

You could possibly hack the player if know lua , the corner case in both scenarios would be how to handle power outakes or when simply plug in the charger cable , or if the power returns .

Also did you know that Radio actually powers up on alarms even if it's really off and then starts to play ,the server is probably involved somehow . Can you use this somehow ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I do not have power source near the radio and an alarm is no option since I do not turn on the radio regularly.

A script might be an option; ask if the player is on and if so make it play.
    The problem I see with this is that the script needs to run constantly.
    I'd need some kind of trigger from the server when the device comes online.

I wonder if this can be done with a plugin.
    System: Debian, Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2
    Player: Squeezebox v3 @ Bose LifeStyle Series III, Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Boom

A plugin why not , if you got the skills . The server knows when the player comes alive ( provided it was conected to that server when it got powered down ) . Needs to be a player setting to activate play on power up .

Maybe you can reuse stuff done in the server power controll plugin ? It may have similar functions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blu3IcE View Post
    A script might be an option; ask if the player is on and if so make it play.
    I'd need some kind of trigger from the server when the device comes online.
    In order of complexity:

Polling:
    - CLI via script (using netcat)
    - CLI via JSON/RPC

Non-polling:
    - CLI via cometd subscription
    - Plugin

The problem I see with this is that the script needs to run constantly.
    Don't see why this is a problem - performance impact is basically non-existent if you poll e.g. every second
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Just fyi: I've posted a shell script doing that here
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...