Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Much faster scanning for me, but LMS can't find database on ReadyNAS

Quote Originally Posted by steve-g View Post
    Oh dear it seems to be slower with Media scanning:
    Recap: Installed SoA on the Wandboard and got LMS running, but had problems mounting the ReadyNAS music folder. I ran one scan while trying to mount the ReadyNAS folder, but that scan in fact scanned only a local folder on the Wandboard. But I finally succeeded in mounting the NAS music folder and pointing LMS to it. I ran a scan and it took a little under 4 hours to scan my music collection of 50,000 files. The last scan I ran on the ReadyNAS, only a week ago, took 15 hours. So the scan was at least 4 times faster on the Wandboard than on the ReadyNAS.

HOWEVER, though the LMS instance appears on my Squeezebox Touch under Switch Library, when I switch to it it shows 0 Albums, 0 Artists, 0 Genres, etc. Why?

Looking more closely at the scan report, I see that the database LMS is reading is located on the Wandboard, in opt/logitechmediaserver/cache, whereas the report on the full scan shows that the database is in c/.squeezeboxserver/cache - which is in fact on the ReadyNAS. What seems to have happened is that the LMS running on the Wandboard is looking for its database on the Wandboard, but the actual music database produced by the scan is on the ReadyNAS.

SO: - Can I copy the c/.squeezeboxserver/cache folder from the NAS over to opt/logitechmediaserver/cache? Or might that cause problems?
    - Is there a file where I can tell LMS to look for its database in c/.squeezeboxserver/cache?
    - Or do I have to start over from scratch, making sure to mount the NAS and point LMS to it before I run a scan?

Of the three possibilities, the first seems to be preferable - I'd rather have the database on the Wandboard on an SD card than on a hard-disk array on the NAS, and I don't want to start over from scratch. But will simply copying the files over work?

I'm not Linux-literate, so any hints as to how to do the copying are welcome, if that seems to be a workable solution. Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks to all who have helped up to now, and congratulations to those who have already managed to get LMS on Wandboard with ReadyNAS and Squeezebox Touch working!

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Looking more closely at the scan report, I see that the database LMS is reading is located on the Wandboard, in opt/logitechmediaserver/cache, whereas the report on the full scan shows that the database is in c/.squeezeboxserver/cache - which is in fact on the ReadyNAS. What seems to have happened is that the LMS running on the Wandboard is looking for its database on the Wandboard, but the actual music database produced by the scan is on the ReadyNAS.
    I don't know much about SOA, but that seems unlikely. Even if it was located there, it wouldn't explain why LMS is reporting zero files.

I'm no help on the issue you have, but I have a question. Why involve the ReadyNas at all. Doesn't the wandboard have an eSATA or USB port. With the latter, one should be able to easily connect a 2TB USB HDD (even a USB port powered HDD the size of a pack of cards). I can see the Readynas as a place to keep an extra backup of the music files, but not sure why the actual files used by LMS can't be paired with the Wandboard directly. As pointed out earlier, scanning across the network adds a lot of time (my 90,000 tracks scan with a full scan in about one hour, but I'm not scanning across a network). Further, the issue you're facing wouldn't exist either I suspect. Anyhow, just curious.
    Last edited by garym; 2015-03-22 at 12:31.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    I don't know much about SOA, but that seems unlikely. Even if it was located there, it wouldn't explain why LMS is reporting zero files.
    My theory is: It's reporting zero files because it scanned an empty folder on the Wandboard instead of the root music folder on the ReadyNAS. And it still thinks that that's where the database is. It performed a later scan of the ReadyNAS and wrote its database to the existing file structure there, but it's still looking for a database on its own file structure, and it's finding one - with no titles in it.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm no help on the issue you have, but I have a question. Why involve the ReadyNas at all?
    I'm tempted to answer: Because I don't want to have to change the title of this thread... But kidding aside, the NAS just happens to be where my files are and I think it's fine as a storage medium. Its processor is not powerful enough to handle running LMS, is all. I'm sure your suggestions would work fine, and your scan speed is mouth-watering. But I'd have to dump my NAS and invest in still more hardware. I at least want to see how the Touch performs with LMS running on the Wandboard compared to the unacceptably slow performance I now get.

My theory is: It's reporting zero files because it scanned an empty folder on the Wandboard instead of the root music folder on the ReadyNAS.
    You said you got that figured out and that the scan of the music from the ReadyNAS took four hours. It doesn't take four hours to scan an empty folder.

What do you see in the web interface? Do you see the full library or zero files? You should see exactly the same thing on the Touch. If you don't, you're not connected to the (correct) server.

I'm tempted to answer: Because I don't want to have to change the title of this thread... But kidding aside, the NAS just happens to be where my files are and I think it's fine as a storage medium. Its processor is not powerful enough to handle running LMS, is all. I'm sure your suggestions would work fine, and your scan speed is mouth-watering. But I'd have to dump my NAS and invest in still more hardware. I at least want to see how the Touch performs with LMS running on the Wandboard compared to the unacceptably slow performance I now get.
    Understand. (p.s., I can't help myself: the extra hardware you'd need is a single USB drive that costs about $79 at best buy and you can keep the NAS too....I'm a believer in LOTS of different backups of my files!)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

You said you got that figured out and that the scan of the music from the ReadyNAS took four hours. It doesn't take four hours to scan an empty folder.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The first scan of the empty folder took a few seconds. The one that ran after I succeeded in pointing LMS to the real music folder on the NAS took four hours.

What do you see in the web interface? Do you see the full library or zero files? You should see exactly the same thing on the Touch. If you don't, you're not connected to the (correct) server.
    In the Web interface I see:
    Your media library contains 0 albums with 0 songs by 0 artists.

The Touch display shows the proper IP address for the Wandboard. And it too shows 0 files.

Just in case someone reading this thread would like a ReadyNAS duo unit, I've posted this (free to a good home).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...062#post813062

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The first scan of the empty folder took a few seconds. The one that ran after I succeeded in pointing LMS to the real music folder on the NAS took four hours.

In the Web interface I see:
    Your media library contains 0 albums with 0 songs by 0 artists.

The Touch display shows the proper IP address for the Wandboard. And it too shows 0 files.
    I'm not seeing how you "succeeded" in point LMS at the ReadyNAS if you have no files showing up in the library. I'm not sure what to make of your claim for it to have taken four hours, but if you have nothing after four hours, you didn't accomplish anything.