Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-g View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest - I too have a Readnas (duo ver 1 sparc based) - my collection is rather smaller (8k tracks) so I don't have an issue there, however my attempts to get BBC radio stations have failed miserably - the processor in the readynas simply hasn't got the horse power to do the decoding.

I was considering having to 'pension off' the readynas early and purchase a new nas but after reading this thread I can see some merit in running LMS on a seperate platform so I'm looking at buying a wandboard to play with - probably the quad as the option to attach a SATA disk at some stage in the future might prove useful.

This is an option I hadn't even considered so thanks Lestrad for alerting me to the possibility.
    I'm very glad to be of help. But perhaps we should wait and see if I succeed in getting LMS running on the Wandboard and if so, how much of an improvement it will be. The people behind SoA seem to be extremely competent and serious, and so I have every hope of succeeding. Since my present performance is very slow, I hope that the improvement will be significant. I just did a test and it took over 20 seconds to read my root Music folder, then another 20 seconds to start playing a file in that root folder...

The Wandboard is supposed to have shipped today. Watch this space...

Quote Originally Posted by steve-g View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest - I too have a Readnas (duo ver 1 sparc based) - my collection is rather smaller (8k tracks) so I don't have an issue there, however my attempts to get BBC radio stations have failed miserably - the processor in the readynas simply hasn't got the horse power to do the decoding.

I was considering having to 'pension off' the readynas early and purchase a new nas but after reading this thread I can see some merit in running LMS on a seperate platform so I'm looking at buying a wandboard to play with - probably the quad as the option to attach a SATA disk at some stage in the future might prove useful.

This is an option I hadn't even considered so thanks Lestrad for alerting me to the possibility.
    And don't discount any old 5 year old "piece of junk" $20 garage sell PC that you can wipe the HD, install Vortexbox 2.3 OS, which already includes LMS and squeezelite, etc. You stick it in a back closet connected to your router. No keyboard or monitor needed. Even this is way, way, way better/faster than a ReadyNAS with sparc.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    And don't discount any old 5 year old "piece of junk" $20 garage sell PC that you can wipe the HD, install Vortexbox 2.3 OS, which already includes LMS and squeezelite, etc. You stick it in a back closet connected to your router. No keyboard or monitor needed. Even this is way, way, way better/faster than a ReadyNAS with sparc.
    I had considered this as I do have some old computer stuff lying about the place but ruled it out for a couple of reasons - first is size the router and NAS are in what is effectively a cupboard over the stairs - no real room for a largish PC the other reason is power consumption for something that going to be on 24/7 a low power solution is what I'm looking for.

The sparc Readynas is OKish as a server but you're right given anything else to do and it grinds to a halt - having said that its given me rock solid service for the past 3 years or so.

If it works I like the idea of running LMS in a seperate system - it gives more options of where I store my music and removes the 'can I run LMS on it' considerations when I get round to updating the NAS.

There is always "wake on lan" WOL , my server is not running 24/7 i turn it off when i go to bed and my alarm wakes (boots it ) in the morning , I turn it off when i go to work . When i get home i press play on a player and wol makes it boot for the evenings listening . And i turn it off at bedtime .
    If i'm really lazy I use ssh via my iPad (teminus app ) and issue shutdown from bed

Power configuration vary wildly on different hardware , many lets their servers go to sleep mode and WOL them from that state .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Wandboard now connected

I received the Wandboard today, flashed the SOA image to a micro-SD card, inserted the card, connected a network cable, and powered up the Wandboard. I found its ip address by reading my router's dhcp table and connected with the browser interface. I clicked on the Install button and now have:

Squeeze on Arch is Currently Installing (Phase 1)

Installing SoA
    Partioning card
    Creating disk partion
    Fetching Arch Linux

So far so good. I'll report back later.

Extracting Linux
    Updating configuration scripts
    Adding firstboot scipts
    Adding boot scipt
    Copy installer web
    Syncing file system

Fetching uboot
    Writing uboot
    Complete - Rebooting

A message appeared telling me to reload the browser. Did this several times and so far I've been unable to connect to the Wandboard's ip address. Will try again later...

Still unable to connect to Wandboard either via the browser or using PuTTY. The connection times out. I have PuTTY set to SSH and Port 22. Is that right? It's been about 2 hours since I got the reboot message...
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2015-03-20 at 07:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    I received the Wandboard today, flashed the SOA image to a micro-SD card, inserted the card, connected a network cable, and powered up the Wandboard. I found its ip address by reading my router's dhcp table and connected with the browser interface. I clicked on the Install button and now have:

Squeeze on Arch is Currently Installing (Phase 1)

Installing SoA
    Partioning card
    Creating disk partion
    Fetching Arch Linux

So far so good. I'll report back later.

Extracting Linux
    Updating configuration scripts
    Adding firstboot scipts
    Adding boot scipt
    Copy installer web
    Syncing file system

Fetching uboot
    Writing uboot
    Complete - Rebooting

A message appeared telling me to reload the browser. Did this several times and so far I've been unable to connect to the Wandboard's ip address. Will try again later...

Still unable to connect to Wandboard either via the browser or using PuTTY. The connection times out. I have PuTTY set to SSH and Port 22. Is that right? It's been about 45 minutes since I got the reboot message...
    Try and look again in your Router table. I've found that SOA sometimes takes a different IP after installing ...
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    Try and look again in your Router table. I've found that SOA sometimes takes a different IP after installing ...
    I hate to show my ignorance, but is there a way to do that using PuTTY? When I type my router's ip address in the browser, it spits out a text file that lists the dhcp table, but I'm not sure the information is up to date. In any case the last ip in the list, the one I was able to connect on, now keeps timing out...

I hate to show my ignorance, but is there a way to do that using PuTTY? When I type my router's ip address in the browser, it spits out a text file that lists the dhcp table, but I'm not sure the information is up to date. In any case the last ip in the list, the one I was able to connect on, now keeps timing out...
    As far as I know there isn't. The DHCP should be up to date
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Maybe use something "advanced IP scanner" which will show the devices active on your net.
    I use it all the time: http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

Steen
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like piCorePlayer

Well I've gone mad and bought a Wandboard (it arrived this afternoon) - have got LMS working on it OK - and hurray BBC iplayer works fine as do HLS streams - so happy bunny with this.

The thing I can't do is get the wandboard LMS to point to my music on the Readynas - I've tried every combination I can think of but LMS won't accept any pointer to the Readynas - I'm obviously missing something somewhere so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks