Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 108 of 108
  1. #101
    Senior Member Lestrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    384

    Chapter not ended

    I spoke too soon. The scan ended with no problems, but LMS can't find the Squeezebox Touch. The Touch sees LMS (I changed the Music Library name and it reads the change), but can't connect to the collection. LMS shows no players recognized. The Wandboard where LMS is installed can ping the Touch.

    ???
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

  2. #102
    Senior Member Lestrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    384

    Further problems with LMS on Wandboard with Arch Linux-ARM

    Hello again. I was eventually able to connect to LMS via the browser on port 9000. I didn't post a solution here because I never figured out what I did right. It just suddenly started working, and was working for a month or so.

    Now, however, it's stopped working again. The problem seems to be with Samba. It's documented here. Somewhere along the line I updated Samba (to version 4.08.xx) and started having that problem. For some reason Samba seems to sabotage itself.

    After trying several solutions, I uninstalled samba and tried to install version 4.10.10, but when I try to do it I get 404 errors saying that the packages are not available. Looking on the archlinuxarm servers I find all the packages pacman seems to be looking for, but there are newer versions. I've tried to install them manually, but with no luck.

    Can anyone help? What should I do? Is there a way to run LMS without using Samba? (My desktops are both running Windows7.) Install another version of Arch Linux? Think of installing Debian instead? Any recommendations would be welcome.

    Cheers
    Les
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

  3. #103
    Senior Member bakker_be's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kwaadmechelen, Belgium
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Hello again. I was eventually able to connect to LMS via the browser on port 9000. I didn't post a solution here because I never figured out what I did right. It just suddenly started working, and was working for a month or so.

    Now, however, it's stopped working again. The problem seems to be with Samba. It's documented here. Somewhere along the line I updated Samba (to version 4.08.xx) and started having that problem. For some reason Samba seems to sabotage itself.

    After trying several solutions, I uninstalled samba and tried to install version 4.10.10, but when I try to do it I get 404 errors saying that the packages are not available. Looking on the archlinuxarm servers I find all the packages pacman seems to be looking for, but there are newer versions. I've tried to install them manually, but with no luck.

    Can anyone help? What should I do? Is there a way to run LMS without using Samba? (My desktops are both running Windows7.) Install another version of Arch Linux? Think of installing Debian instead? Any recommendations would be welcome.

    Cheers
    Les
    If I understand correctly your music is on the readynas? You don't need to run the Samba service on your wandboard but only the samba client (on other Linux distributions also known as cifs-utils, no clue about Arch). Given that the readynas also runs some form of Linux, you could also use NFS (Network File System) for sharing out the music to your LMS on Wandboard: it's a bit more complicated to set up, but it's also more robust and has less overhead in traffic.

    EDIT, after reading back a bit: since you're no longer dealing with a NAS, but with DAS (Direct Attached Storage) you don't need any sharing protocol at all, no samba, no NFS, ... You just need to mount the drive locally. To do that:
    Code:
    • create a mountpoint for your music collection (e.g. sudo mkdir /mnt/music)
    • edit your fstab file to include a line for you USB disk (explained here: https://download.tuxfamily.org/linuxvillage/Informatique/Fstab/fstab.html) indicating to mount it on the point just created
    • tell arch to mount your disk manually (e.g. sudo mount -a)
    • tell LMS your music collection resides on the mountpoint you created
    Last edited by bakker_be; 2019-11-09 at 09:13. Reason: Reread older posts
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

  4. #104
    Senior Member Lestrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    If I understand correctly your music is on the readynas? You don't need to run the Samba service on your wandboard but only the samba client (on other Linux distributions also known as cifs-utils, no clue about Arch). Given that the readynas also runs some form of Linux, you could also use NFS (Network File System) for sharing out the music to your LMS on Wandboard: it's a bit more complicated to set up, but it's also more robust and has less overhead in traffic.

    EDIT, after reading back a bit: since you're no longer dealing with a NAS, but with DAS (Direct Attached Storage) you don't need any sharing protocol at all, no samba, no NFS, ... You just need to mount the drive locally. To do that:
    Code:
    • create a mountpoint for your music collection (e.g. sudo mkdir /mnt/music)
    • edit your fstab file to include a line for you USB disk (explained here: https://download.tuxfamily.org/linuxvillage/Informatique/Fstab/fstab.html) indicating to mount it on the point just created
    • tell arch to mount your disk manually (e.g. sudo mount -a)
    • tell LMS your music collection resides on the mountpoint you created

    Thanks. Elegant in its simplicity. I'd love to do this. In fact the drive with my music on it is already mounted. But I can't connect to port 9000 on the Wandboard to open the LMS page and change the settings. Could that be the result of the LMS installation having been messed up? The version I have installed is logitechmediaserver 7.9.2.arch2-1.

    Here's what a status check on the LMS service turns up. Any suggestions would be welcome:

    Code:
    * logitechmediaserver.service - Logitech Media Server Daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-11-07 13:39:44 CET; 2 days ago
     Main PID: 370 (code=exited, status=22)
    
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Cannot write to '/opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/server.log': Invalid argument at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 313.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: END failed--call queue aborted.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Can't close /opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/perfmon.log (Bad file descriptor) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 349.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Can't close /opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/server.log (No space left on device) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 349.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Can't close /opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/server.log (Bad file descriptor) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 349.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: [19-11-07 13:39:44.1696] main::init (387) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.9.2, ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2, Wed Sep 11 05:22:45 UTC 2019) perl 5.030000 - armv7l-linux-thread-multi
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: [19-11-07 13:39:44.1725] Slim::bootstrap::theEND (440) Got to the END
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm systemd[1]: logitechmediaserver.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=22/n/a
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm systemd[1]: logitechmediaserver.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Nov 07 14:12:46 alarm systemd[1]: /usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service:8: PIDFile= references a path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/lms.pid Ô†’ /run/lms.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
    [Later:] Clearly there's a problem with LMS itself. I'll keep working on it and report back. Sorry.

    [Still later:]I logged in to the Wandboard as root and successfully started the LMS service. Now it's available via the browser.

    [Next morning] Overnight the service seems to have stopped working and I can't get it to start again, even as root. Output is the same as what I posted above.

    [Later] Turns out that server.log was huge. Removed it and all seems well.
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2019-11-10 at 02:30. Reason: added even more info
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

  5. #105
    Senior Member Lestrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    384

    Wandboard now refusing connections

    Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    [Later] Turns out that server.log was huge. Removed it and all seems well.
    Well, all was well until the Wandboard began refusing connections. It was working fine, but suddenly it began refusing all connections (it does respond to a ping with no problem). Until now I have been connecting to the board using SSH from my desktop computer. The last thing I was able to do, as I recall, was to change the Locale from the default "C" to EN_US-utf8 (so that accented characters could be read by LMS). But now every time I try to connect I get the "Connection refused" message. To me this implies that the board has booted.

    So I tried connecting the board to a monitor via the HDMI port and plugging in a keyboard via the USB port. When I power on the Quad, I get the Wandboard.org logo on the screen, but after that nothing except a flashing HDMI port icon and then a "No Signal" message from the monitor. The keyboard seems to be responding, because when I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete the board restarts and I see the Wandboard logo again, but after that "No Signal" again.

    Any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot would be appreciated. I'm ready to provide any information anyone might need.

    TIA
    Les
    Lestrad

    PS I do realize that this is a Linux problem and not an LMS problem, but it's very hard to get help, especially where Arch Linux is concerned. And the Wandboard forum has more condom and We Write Your Term Paper Guaranteed No Plagiarism ads than it does posts about the Wandboard.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot would be appreciated. I'm ready to provide any information anyone might need.
    Try booting from a clean new install of a known to be working OS to see if it's a HW issue
    Mount the current boot media (SD card?) on a different computer and read the system logs
    Various SW: Web Interface | TUI | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

  7. #107
    Senior Member Lestrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    Try booting from a clean new install of a known to be working OS to see if it's a HW issue
    Mount the current boot media (SD card?) on a different computer and read the system logs
    Thanks, Roland. I'm going to try to do the latter today. Of course, as is to be expected for Arch Linux, I'll have to spend some time studying the documentation on how it handles logs first.

    If it comes to that I'll create a new SD and try to boot, but I'm almost sure it's a configuration problem. I've learned that the Wandboard has a bug that prevents it from properly recognizing an HDMI monitor. Meanwhile I'm waiting in a USB-to-serial cable so I can try to boot via TTY.

    I'll keep you posted. I owe this forum a full description of how I (almost? maybe?) created a small NAS that will run LMS.

    Cheers,
    Les
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

  8. #108
    Senior Member Lestrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    384

    Cut To The Chase

    7 August 2020

    After many many detours and blind alleys it turns out to be not all that difficult to do.

    And to clear up any doubts anybody may have, LMS performs much better on the Wandboard Quad than it did on the ReadyNAS. A caveat: support for the Wandboard has become hard to get, and the Raspberry Pi is probably a better solution today.

    But here's what I did with the Wandboard:

    Set up a basic installation as described here . You'll need to install samba if you want to use your Wandboard to host shares accessible from Windows, as I do. But you can just mount your music drive connected to your Wandboard (via USB and/or SATA [if it's a Wandboard Quad]) and that will suffice.

    Install LMS as described *here* (details to be added).

    Connect to LMS with your browser (ip address of your Wandboard & ":9000" (9000 is the default port) and fill in the paths to your music folders on your mounted drives. Then launch a full scan of your music collection. Once it's done

    Listen to some Dowland, or Ry Cooder, or Aaron Neville, or Boccherini, or Scarlatti (Domenico or his Pa), or Ray Stevens, etc. etc.

    "Music is the best." (Frank Zappa)
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2020-08-11 at 02:01.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - ARCH-AUR-GIT.20200807.1a544e3 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on USB HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary (not unidirectional) copper wire.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •