Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Chapter not ended

I spoke too soon. The scan ended with no problems, but LMS can't find the Squeezebox Touch. The Touch sees LMS (I changed the Music Library name and it reads the change), but can't connect to the collection. LMS shows no players recognized. The Wandboard where LMS is installed can ping the Touch.

???
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on SATA HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary copper cable.

Further problems with LMS on Wandboard with Arch Linux-ARM

Hello again. I was eventually able to connect to LMS via the browser on port 9000. I didn't post a solution here because I never figured out what I did right. It just suddenly started working, and was working for a month or so.

Now, however, it's stopped working again. The problem seems to be with Samba. It's documented here. Somewhere along the line I updated Samba (to version 4.08.xx) and started having that problem. For some reason Samba seems to sabotage itself.

After trying several solutions, I uninstalled samba and tried to install version 4.10.10, but when I try to do it I get 404 errors saying that the packages are not available. Looking on the archlinuxarm servers I find all the packages pacman seems to be looking for, but there are newer versions. I've tried to install them manually, but with no luck.

Can anyone help? What should I do? Is there a way to run LMS without using Samba? (My desktops are both running Windows7.) Install another version of Arch Linux? Think of installing Debian instead? Any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers
    Les
    Logitech Media Server Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on SATA HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary copper cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Hello again. I was eventually able to connect to LMS via the browser on port 9000. I didn't post a solution here because I never figured out what I did right. It just suddenly started working, and was working for a month or so.

Now, however, it's stopped working again. The problem seems to be with Samba. It's documented here. Somewhere along the line I updated Samba (to version 4.08.xx) and started having that problem. For some reason Samba seems to sabotage itself.

After trying several solutions, I uninstalled samba and tried to install version 4.10.10, but when I try to do it I get 404 errors saying that the packages are not available. Looking on the archlinuxarm servers I find all the packages pacman seems to be looking for, but there are newer versions. I've tried to install them manually, but with no luck.

Can anyone help? What should I do? Is there a way to run LMS without using Samba? (My desktops are both running Windows7.) Install another version of Arch Linux? Think of installing Debian instead? Any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers
    Les
    If I understand correctly your music is on the readynas? You don't need to run the Samba service on your wandboard but only the samba client (on other Linux distributions also known as cifs-utils, no clue about Arch). Given that the readynas also runs some form of Linux, you could also use NFS (Network File System) for sharing out the music to your LMS on Wandboard: it's a bit more complicated to set up, but it's also more robust and has less overhead in traffic.

EDIT, after reading back a bit: since you're no longer dealing with a NAS, but with DAS (Direct Attached Storage) you don't need any sharing protocol at all, no samba, no NFS, ... You just need to mount the drive locally. To do that:
    Code:
    • create a mountpoint for your music collection (e.g. sudo mkdir /mnt/music)
    • edit your fstab file to include a line for you USB disk (explained here: https://download.tuxfamily.org/linuxvillage/Informatique/Fstab/fstab.html) indicating to mount it on the point just created
    • tell arch to mount your disk manually (e.g. sudo mount -a)
    • tell LMS your music collection resides on the mountpoint you created
    Last edited by bakker_be; 2019-11-09 at 09:13. Reason: Reread older posts
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    If I understand correctly your music is on the readynas? You don't need to run the Samba service on your wandboard but only the samba client (on other Linux distributions also known as cifs-utils, no clue about Arch). Given that the readynas also runs some form of Linux, you could also use NFS (Network File System) for sharing out the music to your LMS on Wandboard: it's a bit more complicated to set up, but it's also more robust and has less overhead in traffic.

EDIT, after reading back a bit: since you're no longer dealing with a NAS, but with DAS (Direct Attached Storage) you don't need any sharing protocol at all, no samba, no NFS, ... You just need to mount the drive locally. To do that:
    Code:
    • create a mountpoint for your music collection (e.g. sudo mkdir /mnt/music)
    • edit your fstab file to include a line for you USB disk (explained here: https://download.tuxfamily.org/linuxvillage/Informatique/Fstab/fstab.html) indicating to mount it on the point just created
    • tell arch to mount your disk manually (e.g. sudo mount -a)
    • tell LMS your music collection resides on the mountpoint you created

Thanks. Elegant in its simplicity. I'd love to do this. In fact the drive with my music on it is already mounted. But I can't connect to port 9000 on the Wandboard to open the LMS page and change the settings. Could that be the result of the LMS installation having been messed up? The version I have installed is logitechmediaserver 7.9.2.arch2-1.

Here's what a status check on the LMS service turns up. Any suggestions would be welcome:

Code:
    * logitechmediaserver.service - Logitech Media Server Daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-11-07 13:39:44 CET; 2 days ago
     Main PID: 370 (code=exited, status=22)

Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Cannot write to '/opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/server.log': Invalid argument at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 313.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: END failed--call queue aborted.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Can't close /opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/perfmon.log (Bad file descriptor) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 349.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Can't close /opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/server.log (No space left on device) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 349.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: Can't close /opt/logitechmediaserver/Logs/server.log (Bad file descriptor) at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Log/Log4perl/Appender/File.pm line 349.
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: [19-11-07 13:39:44.1696] main::init (387) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.9.2, ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2, Wed Sep 11 05:22:45 UTC 2019) perl 5.030000 - armv7l-linux-thread-multi
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm slimserver.pl[370]: [19-11-07 13:39:44.1725] Slim::bootstrap::theEND (440) Got to the END
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm systemd[1]: logitechmediaserver.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=22/n/a
    Nov 07 13:39:44 alarm systemd[1]: logitechmediaserver.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Nov 07 14:12:46 alarm systemd[1]: /usr/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service:8: PIDFile= references a path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/lms.pid Ô†’ /run/lms.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.
    [Later:] Clearly there's a problem with LMS itself. I'll keep working on it and report back. Sorry.

[Still later:]I logged in to the Wandboard as root and successfully started the LMS service. Now it's available via the browser.

[Next morning] Overnight the service seems to have stopped working and I can't get it to start again, even as root. Output is the same as what I posted above.

[Later] Turns out that server.log was huge. Removed it and all seems well.
    Last edited by Lestrad; 2019-11-10 at 02:30. Reason: added even more info