Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

LMS on Wandboard with ReadyNAS and Squeezebox Touch

A recent discussion ended with mherger making the following suggestion:

Wow... 49k tracks on a Sparc based ReadyNAS? You're a brave man! Or at
    least very patient :-)

A Raspberry Pi 2 would most likely be _much_ faster than that, even if
    it had to read the files from the NAS over the network.
    The discussion continued:

> Raspberry Pi? I've considered getting a Wandboard Dual. Would Raspberry
    > be better with the ReadyNAS?

I'm pretty sure it would be better, in particular the new Pi 2 model.
    The ReadyNAS' Sparc processor is about the slowest hardware on which LMS
    was running. Ever.

I only mentioned the Pi because it's about the cheapest of those mini
    computers you can get. If you were considering a Wandboard - that would
    be even better.
    > Now that I've piqued your interest, can I pick your brain? ;-) What would be the first steps toward putting together a
    > device that would run LMS on a Wandboard and read the files off the ReadyNAS (instead of the Sparc processor)?
    > Would it use my existing Squeezebox Touch or would/could it have its own touchscreen?
    > I can start a new topic with this question if you like ;-)

So here is that new topic. To review the problem: LMS runs ĺway too slow on a ReadyNAS NV+ with 1 Gb of memory. I would like to acquire a Wandboard and install LMS on it, continuing to use my Squeezebox Touch as the interface and continuing to read my music collection from the ReadyNAS via my wired network. The only difference would be that LMS would no longer run on the ReadyNAS's sparc processor, but instead on the Wandboard.

(Full disclosure: I took part in a discussion of this idea on the ReadyNAS forum some time ago, and at least one poster expressed the opinion that the Wandboard would be just as slow or not much faster than the sparc ReadyNAS. Here's a link to that discussion: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewto...p?f=22&t=70252)

All opinions and suggestions are welcome!

I can't compare with the ReadyNAS, but I can tell you that LMS on my Wandboard Duallite runs way faster and more responsive than on my Windows Server 2012 with 8GB of RAM and Athlon II X2 250 CPU ... Scantimes however are similar, as music still resides on the Windows Server, so network and disk access are identical ...
    The secret IMO is using a dedicated OS, without unnecessary extra's.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Workshop: iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
    Wherever needed: Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear
    Car: TBC ...

Quote Originally Posted by bakker_be View Post
    I can't compare with the ReadyNAS, but I can tell you that LMS on my Wandboard Duallite runs way faster and more responsive than on my Windows Server 2012 with 8GB of RAM and Athlon II X2 250 CPU ... Scantimes however are similar, as music still resides on the Windows Server, so network and disk access are identical ...
    The secret IMO is using a dedicated OS, without unnecessary extra's.
    Thanks. My scan time is 15+ hours for 49,000 music files.

What OS is running on your Wandboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Thanks. My scan time is 15+ hours for 49,000 music files.

What OS is running on your Wandboard?
    At the moment Triode's SOA.
    Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004 + TMA Premium 905 + TMA Premium 901 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T460 + Kodi + Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
    Kitchen: iPhone 5s + iPeng (local playback activated) + NAD 312 + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 2
    Headphone (cozy corner): Lenovo T550 + Squeezelite-X + Cyrus Soundkey + Topping A30 + Focal Elear

At the moment Triode's SOA.
    Thanks. I'm now reading this 115-page thread - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-version/page8 - and finding it tough going. Anything you can do to help me along would be appreciated. Are the instructions in the first post still valid?

Thanks. I'm now reading this 115-page thread - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-version/page8 - and finding it tough going. Anything you can do to help me along would be appreciated. Are the instructions in the first post still valid?
    Probably. Note that the first post was most recently updated on Dec 31st.

It's quite simple actually: you download the appropriate base-image for your device, write it to your sd card using the imaging software available for your OS of choice and boot up from it. After some time you will be able to connect to the web interface to start configuring it ...

It's quite simple actually: you download the appropriate base-image for your device, write it to your sd card using the imaging software available for your OS of choice and boot up from it. After some time you will be able to connect to the web interface to start configuring it ...
    Thanks! Please bear with me. Let's see: I currently connect to LMS via a Web via my Windows PC. I'll be able to do the same provided I know the IP address of the Wandboard?

What about the Squeezebox Touch? Will I be able to point it to the new location of LMS (that is, the Wandboard)?

Again, I'm sorry for what might seem like, er, very basic questions. But I'm not a programmer and have very little Linux experience.

Thanks! Please bear with me. Let's see: I currently connect to LMS via a Web via my Windows PC. I'll be able to do the same provided I know the IP address of the Wandboard?

What about the Squeezebox Touch? Will I be able to point it to the new location of LMS (that is, the Wandboard)?
    yes and yes.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Again, I'm sorry for what might seem like, er, very basic questions. But I'm not a programmer and have very little Linux experience.
    yes(1) and yes(2)

1) unless you get a firewall issue

2) Touch can choose between several LMS servers without problem ,its in the menu somewhere , you can have more than one LMS running at the same time but I do advice you to turn off the one on the NAS . And it would automatically discover the servers you have .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html